Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thousand sons get a pretty bad rap. They don't fight like zerkers, shoot like noise marines, or are as durable as plagues. All of this and at a high point cost. They don't get many options. You can only tweak the sorcerer a little. Now I know their magic number is nine but that's the ONLY size I see people run them. The number isn't necessary anymore and we see berserkers and plague marines in all sorts of different squad sizes. So is there any other way to run the sons that's not nine in a rhino? Fluff be damned.

Here's my idea. Big squad (12-15) walking around with a lash sorcerer. I know what your thinking, slaanesh sorcerer and tzeench troops, how will they coexist. Pretty well I believe. The lash can push cc oriented troops you don't want to fight with back or pull them into rapid fire range. All the while being able to move, albeit slowly, and lay down a lot of ap3 fire. Not to mention people will want the lash sorcerer dead so him hiding in a huge squad of guys with great saves gives him some good protection.

That's just an idea I've been kicking around the last few days. I'm going to run two squads with two sorcerers my next game. Let me know what your views on this tactic are and give us some more ways to use the 1k sons that's out of the norm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tson's do get a bad rep as they can be actually pretty good (when used well).
they can do horrible things to most most marine type armies and the 4+ save makes them more durable as they can withstand more powerful hits/shots than plague marines.

i like the idea of the lash combo but i do cringe at the idea of mixing marks, the synergy seems sound in theory

·
Registered
496 Posts
think of TS's of have a perminant 4+ coversave when out in the open :3 they are literaly walking cover

your strategy seems solid but you will want a CC unit to back them up

·
Registered
620 Posts
think of TS's of have a perminant 4+ coversave when out in the open :3 they are literaly walking cover

your strategy seems solid but you will want a CC unit to back them up
I do agree that adding in just a simple squad of berzerkers to lay back behind the Tsons just in case for some reason opposing CC units get too close, you can counter charge.

·
Registered
114 Posts
As long as you can get within 24" with a unit this could be very effective, the problem will be tank busting, and the slow and purposful. The reason they work great in a rhino is moving 12, jumping out and rapid firing. If you manage to get within 24" to lash, it means you cant lash and then rapid fire, as the sorc will be fireing WITH your Tsons. Also some bad slow + purposful rolls on a BIG point heavy foot slogging unit with short range could leave them stranded against mobile mech armies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts