Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there guys and gals, for many years I've liked the back ground of the Black Templars, being a massive fleet based chapter, much larger than mosty with its unusual structure, basically taking off where the Great Crusade ended by taking the fight to the enemy, purging the galaxy of the xenos, the mutant, the heretic and the witch. Great stuff and really inspirational, and with the talk of a new codex around the corner I'd like to start collecting and playing my very own crusade. Problem is however, I'm currently working on a massive "Army of the Unforgiven" made up of elements from the DA chapter and its successors, which will involve painting quite a few Angels of Redemption, Consecrators and Ravenwing, as well as a "Sons of Sanguinius" army made up of BA and Flesh Tearers, so lots of Death Company. In case you haven't figured out where this is going yet, by the time I get around to doing my Templars, I'm going to be well and truely sick and tired of painting black, lol. So what to do? Basically I've decied to collect an army from an already existing canon chapter (no good at coming withe my own ideas, as I have the imagination of a duck with its head stuck in a bucket of concrete), and apply the BT rule set and and army list to it. Anyway I've narrowed it down to two choices and was hoping you'd be able to help me make my final decision, hopefully giving me as many pros and cons for each to help me decide. The two final contenders, out of the many, are the Iron Knightsand the Red Templars. According to Lexicanum, both chapters are IF successor chapters, so that box is ticked for both armies, although the evidence in the case of the Iron Knights reguarding this is much stronger. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Iron Knights as they have quite a medieval, crusading look about them, plus the aricle says they have Emorers Champions and they'd probably be the easiest of the two to paint which is a huge bonus. Having said that though I really like the Red Templar colour scheme and would love to field an army of them on the table top, although I'm quite fond of the Iron Knights as well.

200px-RedTemplars.jpg

200px-Iron_Knights_Space_Marine.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There's also a White Templars chapter out there.

Actually I quite like that colour scheme. I reckon an army of those guys would look fantastic especially with crusade helmets and tabards. I could even modify the scheme by having the tactical arrows on both shoulders and the chapter badge on the small shoulder mounted shield just like the Iron Knights, now that's an idea. Thanks a million for adding yet another chapter to choose from, you're suppose to be helping me narrow my choices down not creating nore for me, jk lol. Off to lexicanum to see if there's anything wrtten about them, as I like the colour scheme so much I think they're the new lead contender.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hey,

I am thinking of doing Black Templars too when the new codex comes out, mainly because I want to do a space marine chapter that can be based around my love of King Arthur legends....BTs fit the 'knights on crusade' theme nicely and like you I already have or am in the process of doing other Space Marine chapters, so want something a bit different. I have got Blood Angels, Dark Angels (Angels of Redemption) and Space Wolves already...

Guess my point here is why not just do homebrew chapter using the new BT codex? I am planning to have Sir Lancelot riding around on a dragon and lots of swords and shields...Except I am going to alter the names a bit to make them fit the 'latinised' 40k terminology...Why not do your own?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Actually I quite like that colour scheme. I reckon an army of those guys would look fantastic especially with crusade helmets and tabards. I could even modify the scheme by having the tactical arrows on both shoulders and the chapter badge on the small shoulder mounted shield just like the Iron Knights, now that's an idea. Thanks a million for adding yet another chapter to choose from, you're suppose to be helping me narrow my choices down not creating nore for me, jk lol. Off to lexicanum to see if there's anything wrtten about them, as I like the colour scheme so much I think they're the new lead contender.
Glad I could make things more difficult. :grin:

Haven't found much more than that they are of fist and/or BT stock plus is maybe part of the Praeses.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey,

I am thinking of doing Black Templars too when the new codex comes out, mainly because I want to do a space marine chapter that can be based around my love of King Arthur legends....BTs fit the 'knights on crusade' theme nicely and like you I already have or am in the process of doing other Space Marine chapters, so want something a bit different. I have got Blood Angels, Dark Angels (Angels of Redemption) and Space Wolves already...

Guess my point here is why not just do homebrew chapter using the new BT codex? I am planning to have Sir Lancelot riding around on a dragon and lots of swords and shields...Except I am going to alter the names a bit to make them fit the 'latinised' 40k terminology...Why not do your own?
You do realize that if you make a chapter with that theme you are legally obligated to make a diorama where a Battle Brother slays a Hell Drake. :grin:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Actually I just thought: I couldn't do Merlin in a BT counts-as army, as BT's hate psykers....:(...I need to re-think that...You can't have a King Arthur style Space Marine chapter without Merlin...It's like having Star Wars without Han Solo...

Anyway, sorry for thread hijacking....

I will have to use one of these alternative black templar chapter colour schemes, then just do the King ARthur chaper around vanilla codex I guess...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The scheme for the Iron knight is very similar to my own and very easy to do when painting large groups of models. (Prime Black Drybrush w/ leadbelcher or equivalent, Done). that being said i like the white templars idea much better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts