Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive never used Al'Rahem before and kind of like the idea of him. Am toying with outflanking a platoon with troops on foot with krak grenades and flamers and SWS's full of meltas.
The idea is to basically send 2 demolishers up the middle and force the opponent to the flanks where I can flood him with aforementioned troops and 2 vendettas with melta demo vets inside.
Is this a viable tactic?
What sort of points level would be optimal?
Does anyone use Al'Rahem?
If so any other builds or uses for him?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Mechanise his platoon and have them all carrying melta/plasma.

I have tried the foot slogging platoon but it's a lot more hit & miss if it's effective or not, as you might find yourself way out of the fight and not able to do much.

Having three or four Chimeras loaded with special weapons turn up on a flank is pretty intimidating and the multilasers strength gives you a good chance of getting off side/rear shots at tanks, etc.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
One use I've heard for Al'Rahem and friends is to get a big ass platoon of at least 30 men, combine them all into one squad, give all the Sergeants power weapons, each squad either a flamer or meltagun, and attach at least one Commissar with a power weapon. Then, attach a Priest (preferably one from Codex: Witch Hunters because theirs aren't criminally overpriced pieces of crap) to the unit, give him an eviscerator and go hunting for... anything. Really, unless you walk into a unit of Thunderwolf Cavalry with a 250 point Wolf Lord you should do decently. With 4 power weapons and a hidden chainfist you shouldn't struggle too much with grinding down most units in close combat. Melta weaponry and the eviscerator should deal with tanks and you have a bunch of lasguns and flamers for lots of little things. You can also mess around with Al'Rahem's special Order if you want, though I'm more of a fan of massed rapid-firing lasguns or something.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
One use I've heard for Al'Rahem and friends is to get a big ass platoon of at least 30 men, combine them all into one squad, give all the Sergeants power weapons, each squad either a flamer or meltagun, and attach at least one Commissar with a power weapon. Then, attach a Priest (preferably one from Codex: Witch Hunters because theirs aren't criminally overpriced pieces of crap) to the unit, give him an eviscerator and go hunting for... anything. Really, unless you walk into a unit of Thunderwolf Cavalry with a 250 point Wolf Lord you should do decently. With 4 power weapons and a hidden chainfist you shouldn't struggle too much with grinding down most units in close combat. Melta weaponry and the eviscerator should deal with tanks and you have a bunch of lasguns and flamers for lots of little things. You can also mess around with Al'Rahem's special Order if you want, though I'm more of a fan of massed rapid-firing lasguns or something.

This does require a certain amount of luck to be effective, i.e. the enemy isn't mechanised and won't just run away from you and you turn up on the right side of the board (Astropath here helps massively)

There's also the downside that it's guard, and they're not great in close combat... :)

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
This does require a certain amount of luck to be effective, i.e. the enemy isn't mechanised and won't just run away from you and you turn up on the right side of the board (Astropath here helps massively)

There's also the downside that it's guard, and they're not great in close combat... :)
Oh it's not a great idea, but it can do decently sometimes. I just thought it was worth mentioning 'cause it's a bit different and can work rather well in certain situations. Certainly not something I'd take to a tourney though.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Can't help you too much as far as 'foot' goes but there would be similarities with going the Mech route -
- you need to spend quite a lot of points to make it effective, insofar as it's go big or don't bother because when you come on you will want to hit hard.
- take an Astropath because his abilities can only be of benefit.
- build the PCS and Infantry Squads with a specific task in mind..taking and holding Objectives etc.
- with a mech list I would take a PCS and minimum 2/3 Squads, foot would be similar if not bigger, especially if the rest of your list isn't mobile so will take a while to get to you to add their support.
- also, seen as you will have Al"rahem's Units in reserve you need to make sure the part of your list that starts on the board can hold its own up until said reserves arrive and give the enemy something else to think about. Also they need to have some long-range weapons etc that can lend their firepower to assist the outflankers.

that's all I got:wink:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys (and girls!!)
I think i run a similar list to you normally Hobo - Mech vets with meltas supported by a demolisher and exterminator and a 30 man blob autocannon squad and a couple of Demo vet Vendettas.
The point of this exercise was that sometimes with objective based missions (Annihilation is no problem!) i dont make it across the board to contest take the enemy objectives. Either the Vendettas get shot down or immobilised or the chimeras dont quite make it. Therefore i was wondering if it would be viable to launch into the enemy objective from the side rather than risk the firepower.
Agreed i think only chimeras would work and you would need an astropath definitely. I also agree that the wedge up the middle needs to be strong to withstand the firepower and force the enemy to the sides.

Interesting stuff.........

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I don't put Vets in Vendettas, mainly because mine are built for early game use, and I use the Vendetta as a Gunship first, transport second...Valks make better transports.

Like with any of the Special Characters you need to build the list around him and also make full use of his abilities for it to work.

If you went with Infantry I would try and give them all Assault weapons so they can stay mobile, and seen as Al has a PW it would pay to back him up by giving the Sgts some as well, and maybe even SWS's with Flamers/Demo Charges to sweep Enemy off Objectives.

In the end regardless of if you go Mech or Infantry, the entire Platoon will need to be large enough to take the heat while been able to dish it out...no point in doing it if it doesn't make an impact. Even as a 'diversionary' tactic you'd still want it to have an effect for a few turns by being a pain in the arse for your opponent, and one he/she has to allocate units to deal with..take the heat off your own approaching force.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
eaither swarm him with bodys such as kaite said or mech up and have 3+ Chimera's storm in from the flank. I would sugget you get an Astropath in the army to make sure they arrive when and where you want them.
I have toyed with this idea form a while my self and have also considered the Rough Riders to go along with them

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've used him 4-5 times in 1500pts games and I love him. He works best with a mechanised platoon as already stated (with a scattering of Heavy flamers on chimeras) also put a SWS on foot in there (2 melta and a demo charge). Must also emphasise the importance of the astropath (not just for making sure you get on early but getting the sides you want). Remember that the platoon rolls as one unit for purposes of coming in but seperately for side.

I've been using them in trying out reserve denial tactics (give your opponent first turn and reserve everything) which is pretty good against most things but really hurts drop pod, deamon, and deep striking armies. I call it the Beta strike army.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts