Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, hoping you can help as I'm a n00b at building an army list so would like your help.
I currently have a death wing squad, death wing knights, 2 veteran companies and tactical squad for my DA
I bought the centurion kit and plan to build devastators purely as I like them I also have a new tactical squad and reclusian squad too and I wanna know do I need anything else to have DA and an ally or could I do with something else?

Sorry if it's a silly Q just wanna understand :)

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Hi guys, hoping you can help as I'm a n00b at building an army list so would like your help.
I currently have a death wing squad, death wing knights, 2 veteran companies and tactical squad for my DA
I bought the centurion kit and plan to build devastators purely as I like them I also have a new tactical squad and reclusian squad too and I wanna know do I need anything else to have DA and an ally or could I do with something else?

Sorry if it's a silly Q just wanna understand :)
Need an HQ for one of the Detachments - you have your Chaplain, who's better off as a Dark Angel Interrogator-Chaplain (or even just a Dark Angel Chaplain, identical but gets Preferred Enemy CSM for free). You'll need to either split the Tactical Squad into two units or use the Veterans as Tacticals.

I'd get a Librarian to lead the Dark Angels detachment and use the Chaplain to lead the Space Marines so you can maximise Divination from the Dark Angels Librarian (give the Devastator Centurions re-rolls to hit, oh yes), as well as score a Fearless dude to put in a squad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the reply but could you tell what the difference is between a Chaplin a DA chaplain or an interrogator chaplain? Also why do I need to split the tactical squads and is that in to separates of 5 marines each or 2 lots of 10? Sorry if this basic but I'm still learning

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Hi thanks for the reply but could you tell what the difference is between a Chaplin a DA chaplain or an interrogator chaplain? Also why do I need to split the tactical squads and is that in to separates of 5 marines each or 2 lots of 10? Sorry if this basic but I'm still learning
A Chaplain for Codex: Space Marines has his standard statline and gear for a Chaplain; in Codex: Dark Angels, he has the same rules, but also gains Inner Circle, which gives him Preferred Enemy: Chaos Space Marines for no additional cost. An Interrogator-Chaplain costs 20pts extra, and gets a couple of relevant stat boosts (+1 Attack, Wound and Ballistic Skill).

You need two Troops Choices for your Primary Detachment, so you need two Tactical Squads. Whether you run two units of five, two units of ten, or really weird mixes of 7 and 8; it's up to you, but you need more than one squad of Troops. For Allies, you only need one unit of Troops, so you can get away with a single Tactical Squad for your Allies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A Chaplain for Codex: Space Marines has his standard statline and gear for a Chaplain; in Codex: Dark Angels, he has the same rules, but also gains Inner Circle, which gives him Preferred Enemy: Chaos Space Marines for no additional cost. An Interrogator-Chaplain costs 20pts extra, and gets a couple of relevant stat boosts (+1 Attack, Wound and Ballistic Skill).

You need two Troops Choices for your Primary Detachment, so you need two Tactical Squads. Whether you run two units of five, two units of ten, or really weird mixes of 7 and 8; it's up to you, but you need more than one squad of Troops. For Allies, you only need one unit of Troops, so you can get away with a single Tactical Squad for your Allies.

Ok so for my ally which will be IF centurions I need a HQ like isayden(I think his name is) and is that it or do I need another unit like an assault squad? And how do I denote an interrogator Chaplin so people know or will the fact he is with DA be enough?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Ok so for my ally which will be IF centurions I need a HQ like isayden(I think his name is) and is that it or do I need another unit like an assault squad? And how do I denote an interrogator Chaplin so people know or will the fact he is with DA be enough?
For your Imperial Fists HQ, simply pick anything from the HQ section of the Codex. I'd advise a Librarian or Chaplain to keep it cheap.

Most DA Chaplains are Interrogators, so you should be ok.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For your Imperial Fists HQ, simply pick anything from the HQ section of the Codex. I'd advise a Librarian or Chaplain to keep it cheap.

Most DA Chaplains are Interrogators, so you should be ok.

That's great thanks

Do i need any other units for my allies like a tactical squad or an assay squad?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So my allies would be a HQ, centurions and an assault squad? Besides adding a librarian could I add anything else to my DA? Thanks for your help

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
So my allies would be a HQ, centurions and an assault squad? Besides adding a librarian could I add anything else to my DA? Thanks for your help
Assault Squads are Fast Attack - you need at least one Tactical Squad or Scout Squad.

Adding to DA... well, you have the entire Codex at your disposal. I like to maximise on Deathwing as they're pretty much the only thing that Dark Angels have going for them these days :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Assault Squads are Fast Attack - you need at least one Tactical Squad or Scout Squad.

Adding to DA... well, you have the entire Codex at your disposal. I like to maximise on Deathwing as they're pretty much the only thing that Dark Angels have going for them these days :(

Ok cool thanks :)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Midnight the Ravenwing is useful in the new codex as well. They take a lot more finesse to manage but when used as a fast mobile teleport homer with T5 and jink it stays alive, for me, long enough to drop the Deathwing down and get the enemy to focus them instead letting the bikers swoop around for rear armour shots. I do know that personal experience is subjective as hell but they have performed admirably for me.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Midnight the Ravenwing is useful in the new codex as well. They take a lot more finesse to manage but when used as a fast mobile teleport homer with T5 and jink it stays alive, for me, long enough to drop the Deathwing down and get the enemy to focus them instead letting the bikers swoop around for rear armour shots. I do know that personal experience is subjective as hell but they have performed admirably for me.
Yeah, Ravenwing aren't terrible but the Standard of Devastation is still expensive and the Command Squad is kinda fragile, as well as being forced into Plasma Talons/Grenade Launcher (not awful, but not much better than Bolters), so I'm pretty leery of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts