Favour of the Gods
Standard of Discipline

Comes to 2246. Trying it out this week against the broken High Elves. :laugh:

mmmm, views please?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to face 60 archers with magic augmentation, so i need to not die before sword masters try and kill me.

The guy is also a dark elf player with a 40 strong unit of crossbowmen.
:crazy:

·
Registered
885 Posts
I play Dark Elves and Warriors as my primary army and have tested against High Elves. The step up rule makes High Elf units vulnerable and offsets the benefits they gained from ASF plus re-rolls to hits if greater initiative. Plan for units that have staying power and will get to strike back.

Most of us are playing 2500 in standard games now. You will need more flanking and speed support. Look at Marauder horsemen unit (throwing axes to count their fast cav and take out toughness elf). I'd prefer more speed, chaos ogres with chaos armour and MoK in a 2 ranks x 3 wide are very good and can run over a unit of elfs on turn two. Also, chaos knights can still run well in a flank attack role (no supporting attacks from sides and rear). A warshrine would also help boost something and can hold its own in a fight with elves for the price you pay for it. Chosen are good but really benefit from the shrine and need a large army points level to be preferred over dragon ogres and ogres and chaos knights given that warriors have essentially the same role.

I've not been impressed with archers in HE armies; not enough shots and punch to bows relative to DE RXBs, too expensive in points costs for models, and too fragile for what they do. If you are facing lots of shooting, use the blasted standard on something with good armour and ward saves (MoT Warriors with shields and blasted standard gives 5+ ward save in combat and go ward save against shooting) and go after those units, as they cannot move and volley shoot and can't march and shoot. With the greater charge ranges, the warriors can often get to then on turn two.

It is the RBTs and special magic weapons that are the real shooting threat in HE armies. The biggest issue in combat deep spear units with ASF and swordsmen and white lions having great weapons with ASF under their rule book (FAQ 1.0 says still good). I think HE armies are best with a core of spearman blocks supported with banners, BSBs and heros and a lot of magic and max RBTs. Then a modest unit of phoenix guard with the MR(2) banner with the casters is max protect (2+ ward save vs magic). Swordsmen are very good with S5, 2 attacks, and ASF but expensive per model.

HE armies in 8th edition must either look at the dragon lord (still good in 8th edition with the breath weapon and terrorr and fear checks in combat on flanks and for going after your Tzeentch sorcerors) or heavy magic. One can have a decent archmage and a mage lvl 2 and stil fit in a decent prince and a BSB. Lore of Life is very good with an archmage and the ability of the mage to carry a magic item to take away a power dice and add a dispel dice plus the +1 to dispel can make magic a tougher choice against high elves unless they go magic light. Because of the types of spells of lore of life, the caster can be max protected in a unit of phoenix guard.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah we've all move to 2500 too, but alas; our local club is running a tmnt at the previous points limit... and yes, 2 units of Khorne Flail are always the upgrade to this list purely for the vanguard move.

Thanks for your reply, i'll have a proper read later!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts