·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Stunning work as ever mate!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #904
Time for an update! As I'm trying to update my Instagram more and more often, I find myself doing a bit fewer but usually larger updates on my various blogs, as honestly it's easier to put WIP pictures up on a media as Instagram. That doesn't mean you guys shouldn't see what I'm doing though, as I've been here for quite some time after all.

I'm in a fun place in my painting at the moment. I'm trying out new things and developing the gritty and bloody painting style I've started a few months back, and honestly it's a lot more fun than what I did previously. I really like painting this way and the end results are just up my alley. I know it's a more extreme style as some will undoubtedly hate it, but I'm ok with that - Some doesn't like a airbrushed look, some don't like the brushed look, some like the cartoonish style and some like a more gritty approach - It's the diversity in the hobby that's fun to see. In the end I find it most important what I think is fun to paint and what I think is cool to look at, as 85% of the time it's me that look at the miniatures.

That being said, I will always value you guys opinions and feedback. It's what has gotten me from a novice painter who started 5 years ago, to the painter that I am today. I can't thank you enough for your patience and willingness to inspire. You guys are awesome!

Now, what have I been painting recently? Well, seeing as I have a Word Bearer force as my primary army I found it best to start the year of with a major character: Erebus himself!

As you can see, I went with a gritty and over-exposed look as I wanted him to be as menacing as he is in the books. I went with a green fire at his staff, to give some more contrast and delved a bit more into the battledamage to the armor with dirt, mud and metal.

I hope you like him!

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Time for an update! As I'm trying to update my Instagram more and more often, I find myself doing a bit fewer but usually larger updates on my various blogs, as honestly it's easier to put WIP pictures up on a media as Instagram. That doesn't mean you guys shouldn't see what I'm doing though, as I've been here for quite some time after all.

I'm in a fun place in my painting at the moment. I'm trying out new things and developing the gritty and bloody painting style I've started a few months back, and honestly it's a lot more fun than what I did previously. I really like painting this way and the end results are just up my alley. I know it's a more extreme style as some will undoubtedly hate it, but I'm ok with that - Some doesn't like a airbrushed look, some don't like the brushed look, some like the cartoonish style and some like a more gritty approach - It's the diversity in the hobby that's fun to see. In the end I find it most important what I think is fun to paint and what I think is cool to look at, as 85% of the time it's me that look at the miniatures.

That being said, I will always value you guys opinions and feedback. It's what has gotten me from a novice painter who started 5 years ago, to the painter that I am today. I can't thank you enough for your patience and willingness to inspire. You guys are awesome!

Now, what have I been painting recently? Well, seeing as I have a Word Bearer force as my primary army I found it best to start the year of with a major character: Erebus himself!

As you can see, I went with a gritty and over-exposed look as I wanted him to be as menacing as he is in the books. I went with a green fire at his staff, to give some more contrast and delved a bit more into the battledamage to the armor with dirt, mud and metal.

I hope you like him!
man great job, Erebus looks certifiably insane.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #906
Thanks man! I'm glad you like him as he has been sitting on my shelf for like a year, and I only just got the courage to try my hand at him.

Now he's been assembled along with 10 Terminators whom I am testing out my theme at the moment. It's evident that the sculpt are a bit older, especially on the clear lines where you are more dependant on your steady hand than many modern models. Still, the older models deserve respect and have to look as good as the others!

Here's what 3 of them look like now:

Now to continue on with the rest of them.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Dear sweet fucking christ!

That Erebus is truly awesome mate! :so_happy:

·
Registered
142 Posts
You continue to inspire, my friend!

That Erebus job is just terrific. I'm totally on board with your new gritty style, and can't wait to see more!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #909
It's been a while hasn't it?

A lot has happened the last year. For my hobby I've started a instagram profile, revamped my paintstyle, gotten a facebook page up and running. I even did a few commissions here and there and am a guest writer on a blog where I write tutorials. A long road from my started journeys here at Heresy Online.

In my persoal life I've gotten married, bought a new house (moving in September 1st), gotten a new job and gotten my first few white hairs.

With all the above in mind, I've often thought of this blog and what to do with it. Should I revive it and show my work here, and do some more tutorials? To all of my old readers, what do you think?

Hugs,
Nordicus

·
Registered
205 Posts
This is my first post in years, I think.

Life sounds good.
Grey hairs, well, you will get used to them.
Weeks will pass like days.

When traveling,
one cannot carry everything.
What you carry is important,
because it is what you will have with you when you get there.
This is also why luggage is important.

So, my advice?
Get some very good luggage, and keep that.
Whatever doesn't help in the travel,
or will serve you when you arrive at your destination,
leave that behind.

Technology has done a lot for us,
including extended memory past its prior useful function.
We are supposed to forget, to be forgotten.
We can't keep everything with us, day to day.

Send a ping every once in a while.
I suppose that the time that it takes for a response,
and the loudness of that that response,
is a measure of the distance that you will have traveled.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #912

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
... I will write a longer post later this week on here, with a few examples of my latest work.
Famous last words!

Of course I've been absent many moons for the same reasons.

Sold a house, moved, changed jobs, bought a house, worked a lot, spent a year renovating, moved again. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I hope you're well!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #914
Famous last words!

Of course I've been absent many moons for the same reasons.

Sold a house, moved, changed jobs, bought a house, worked a lot, spent a year renovating, moved again. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I hope you're well!
Ha yeah, that did take a while, didn't it? I suppose I owe that update now :D

First up, I'm not dead or out of the hobby. I just started painting again here a few months back after 6 monhts out, due to various circumstances. But to go back to the start; Why did I stop posting here on Heresy-Online and why am I suddenly posting here again.

The short version is that I reached a point in my hobby life, where I didn't enjoy painting. I felt like I didn't get the results I wanted, that I spent way too long on techniques with a suboptimal result and in general that I felt a bit... lost. I was looking at my miniatures but I didn't "feel" them anymore. I sat with the feelint that I was painting more to the standards that I was seeing everywhere, but not a style or a standard that catered to me and my own artistic flare.

Simply put, I didn't like what I was doing.

So I took a step back for a month or so, and started thinking about what I wanted to do. Not what was expected of the miniatures that I painted, but what really appealed to me. I have always been drawn to the darkness in terms of style, be it movies, music or art - In particular that of the author Clive Barker (Hellraiser, Candyman, etc.). So I decided to completely reboot my painting style and my entire collection. From scratch.

I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of artists to get inspiration. I got to learn some amazing talents and even made some friends along the way, that I am now sharing tips and tricks with; people like ThirdEyeNuke, Zatcasgagoon and Egregoure. After spending months on de-learning my old techniques and taking on new techniques, I went to work on my entire collection (roughly 11.000 points of Chaos Marines and 10.000 points of Daemons) with a new style, new bases and a new flare for painting.

I loved it. I was feeling the creativity flow. It was faster, it was way more fun and the results I got was completely up my alley. The Erebous a few posts up was one of the first I did in the new style and he took me 1/3 of the time that my old techniques did.

After a while, I created a Facebookpage and an Instagrampage. I didn't wish to make any sort of commission work, but I used it to find a audience similar to this forum; A group of people to share my progress with and to build a small community around. It's going decently well (around 500 likes on Facebook and 530'ish on Instagram), so I thought about returning here - My place of origin, where I posted tutorials and participated in painting competitions, when I was learning the ropes.

So here I am, back from a longer personal journey and happier in my hobby life than ever. I have some really fun projects to show you all in the coming weeks and months, but I can start off with this little bad boy: A Word Bearer Renegade Knight, that has been my biggest custom job to date:

And with that, I bid you adieu for tonight. I will do my best to write a hell of a lot more often than I have, and be active again. Now that I have the passion back and some new models to show you (and new tutorials if you want them) it's time to get back to the old forums.

I'll see you all soon!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Welcome back, and good work!

What do you think of the new model of the Despoiler?

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #917
I like chips but I love that! Stellar work old boy, stellar work.
Thanks a lot buddy!

Welcome back, and good work!

What do you think of the new model of the Despoiler?
Thank you! I like some variations of it. The face with the mask and no-cape is definitely my favorite combo. It gives him a menace that I haven't seen in the model before, and I want that guy to be a goddamn force of nature on the tabletop. I can't wait to paint him personally :D

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #918
Right, so I promised to show a few more examples of my recent work. Seeing as we have a buttload of awesome Chaos models on the way, it seems fitting that I show my take on the Worldclaimer and his posse, that I converted and painted up recently.

Now, I admit that I didn't like the rules for the Worldclaimer. I loved the model, but there are some many wrongs with the rules to the model. So I decided to make use of the model and convert him into a Jumplord with a combi-plasma instead, so he has more flexibility and buffs more units than just melee-raptors. I also changed his shoulder, so he is a part of the Word Bearers legion - You know, my legion.

I got to try out some new techniques with the glow effects, as I wanted to try and achieve it without the use of an airbrush. After doing some research, I went at it and got this result.

Now a Lord needs a posse as well. I've long waited for an excuse to paint Warptalons and this was the perfect excuse to finally get some. Using the same methodology on these that I did on the lord, they came out with a good gritty and dirty feel, that I was very satisfied with.

Right now, I'm working on repainting my 3 Helbrutes, that I used to make my tutorial back in the day, here on Heresy-Online. Then I should be ready for the Shadowspear box - Boy oh boy, am I looking forward to that one!

I hope you like the direction of the army and, as always, I'd love your input.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Welcome back (back)!

I just barely got back into the hobby myself. I only recently got my miniatures desk reassembled after my move and phase 1of my home renovation.

These guys look great! One criticism is the mold lines on that ultramarine on the base.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #920
Welcome back (back)!

I just barely got back into the hobby myself. I only recently got my miniatures desk reassembled after my move and phase 1of my home renovation.

These guys look great!
Thanks! This time it should be a bit more permanent though :) And congratulations on your first phase of the house renovation - What are you getting done?

One criticism is the mold lines on that ultramarine on the base.
Yeah, I noticed it myself when it was done, but I couldn't be arsed to remove it and repaint the whole marine. I'm lazy, I know :p

901 - 920 of 923 Posts