Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

841 - 860 of 923 Posts

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #842
@Nordicus on reviewing Kairos again the black section just looks unfinished. I think there are 3 ways got could go with his wings without repainting the whole model.

1) leave the black edge as it is with the green and blend down to the wing tips using a fiery red/orange
2) paint a star field on the black of wings, as though the void of space is encompassed there
3) back to my favorite idea, make the black a multicolored iridescent oil slick of changing colors

There's even a paint that does it.
Schmincke "Aero vision space"

In going to try and get my hands on this stuff too, even at $30 bottle.
Ooooh I love that idea - I'm totally gonna do that! Now I just gotta find someplace to guy that..

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Ooooh I love that idea - I'm totally gonna do that! Now I just gotta find someplace to guy that..
In the USA Dick Blick art supplies sells it. I presume they ship internationally. Schmincke is a German company so I'm sure you can get it without too much hassle.

Here's the retailer search. http://www.schmincke.de/retailer.html?L=1

Cheers!

·
Registered
205 Posts
i wonder what that aero color ink would do to those wings if they started out bright white warm grey recesses... or basecoated grey and drybrushed up to a bright white at the ridges

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts

·
3,351 Posts
i wonder what that aero color ink would do to those wings if they started out bright white warm grey recesses... or basecoated grey and drybrushed up to a bright white at the ridges
I'm not sure. I don't own it yet. But metallic and color change paints almost always look better over a black or very dark undercoat. My guess is that gray /white would be too bright and not provide enough contrast.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #847
Allright, time for an update on this front. I don't know what it is with me and Tzeentch daemons, but they have a tendency to remove my willingness to paint for periods of a time - But they are now done. All 9 of them.

I tried an alternative color scheme, as I am turning the colors on their heads in my Tzeentch army as a whole. Purple and pink seemed like a good choice initially, but I had a problemt with how many details I should put on them. Overall I really like the screamer models, but they have a tendency to get overcrowded with details with their eyes, scales, teeth, horns, ridges and everything else.

I decided to keep it simple and have the scales be a natural part of the skin, so I didn't highlight them. The horns and teeth I did in a mix of my traditional glossed black and the whites of the Pink Horrors - So a grey midtone, that was glossed over.

I'm fairly satisfied, but will most likely never be fully at home at such vibrant color themes. It's a personal taste I suppose. If you like the image, the image is a link to my gallery at DakkaDakka, where you can rate it :)

Next project, seeing as the month is nearly over, is two small HQ's: A Legion Praetor and a Master of Signals.

Both have been customized with shoulderpads and iconography of the one true legion, so they will fit the army well :D

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #848
A made some good progress over the past week. I started out on a Legion Praetor and a Master of Signals, just to have something to pass the time until it became June. As I'm part of the painting challenge, I don't want to start anything big with such a hort time left, so I thought that these two guys could be a good small assignment and fun to paint.

I got the pair off of F W and fitted them out with a few legion pieces, to make sure they fit in. Shoulders, heads, a few skulls - You know, the basics. In the end, they turned out like this:

The sword on the Praetor was a bit too thin for my liking, but I didn't have any suitable replacement for it. Still, it got the job done. The skull on the base is from the Lorgar miniature, as I got a extra lying around, and it fit his base perfectly. Moar skulls!
Of the two, I am most satisfied with the master of signals, due to the green hue that I got on him. Even though it's a simple mini, the details makes him stand out, even though I firstly thought of him as a "meh" kinda mini.

Next up for June are these two guys:

That's right, I finally got the nerve to tackle a Imperial Knight that has fallen to Chaos. With the Renegades set out and cheap as it is, I thought it was time that I tried my hand with subtle conversion work and working large scale again. And once you do one, you might as well do two, so I will be painting both of them at the same time. The modifications include:

- Horns on both (One from a Bloodthirster and one from a FW Great Unclean One)
- Spikes and chains here and there, but not too much. Just enough to see that they aren't friendly.
- Filing off Imperial Eagles.
- Custom "hang between legs banners". One is a true banner and one is a fiery Chaos symbol on a chain.
- Magnetized weapons.

They will be painted in my WB scheme and with lots of transfers to do the rest of the work.

I can't wait to see these two guys done!

·
Registered
633 Posts

·
Febris Militarius
919 Posts
I would think twice before sensing ny minis against that impreasive piece if work. Well done. Actually looks scary. And suitably chaotic.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #851
I would think twice before sensing ny minis against that impreasive piece if work. Well done. Actually looks scary. And suitably chaotic.
Thanks a bunch man!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with those.
Me too man. I have to admit I approach them with a certain awe, as I want them to look good and not just a re-painted normal knight.

Speaking of, I have been doing some progress the last couple of days. In their current state (Varnish is drying) they look like this:

In short, the following is done:

- Reds and blacks on all armorplates
- Metal on the skeleton and the weapons
- Transfers and sealing hereof.

The next steps are details and the trims. Lastly I will add some oil effects to the metal parts, to make it seem a bit alive.

The metal on the skeleton is done in a new way that I havent tried before - But I really like it. I love the look it gives and the highlights it gives the model. My thoughts were to make the skeleton more used where the trims will be pristine and more solid metal. A contrast between the two, so they dont merge on the mini and so each get their own nature.

What do you guys think?

·
3,351 Posts
Looking good as usual, Nord. Could we perhaps see some closer photos of the knight skeleton chassis and parts? They look good but is I want to see more of the detail. =)

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #853
Looking good as usual, Nord. Could we perhaps see some closer photos of the knight skeleton chassis and parts? They look good but is I want to see more of the detail. =)
Well crap, I didn't get notified that you replied to the thread. I am having a bit of difficulty re-adjusting to this new theme I have to admit. Most of the usual features that I used are nowhere to be seen -.-

I will be sure to take some close-ups for you!

Ok, these guys are coming out a bit fast as they are just fun to paint. I didn't think I would enjoy them as much as I do, so they are over halfway done already.

Here's a little WIP image of how they are coming out:

I hope you like them!

·
3,351 Posts
@Nordicus they look like they're coming along very well! At the moment they look a little tidy, but I'm sure once all they're complete they will be awesome.

I like the text on the greaves and how gloomy the models are.

In other news, I ordered the schmencke space paint and it should arrive this week. As soon as I test it out I'll let you know if it might be worth while for your Lord of Change.

·
3,351 Posts
So it looks like my test run of the paint will be delayed. Some neighborhood jerks stole the package from my front porch. My nextdoor neighbor saw them and called the police.

Fortunately, the retailer offered to replace it. So I'll let you know when I finally test it out.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #856
So it looks like my test run of the paint will be delayed. Some neighborhood jerks stole the package from my front porch. My nextdoor neighbor saw them and called the police.

Fortunately, the retailer offered to replace it. So I'll let you know when I finally test it out.
Damn man, that sucks. I'm glad you're getting a new package though - Looking forward to seeing it on a model!

Rightio, time to for an update - The Knights are done! They have been for a few days actually, but I have been struggling to take proper images of them, due to their sheer size and the size of my lightbox.

In the end, they came out like this:

Knight 1:

Knight 2:

They were sooooo fun to paint. I really got to practice my skills with transfers as well, as I had to figure out how to make them attach for weird surfaces and how to do them like I did on the legs. Those transfers comes in triangles, so I couldn't figure out how to get it on there, so it went all the way to the edge and it looked natural. A good amount of Googling went into that one!

The arms and hull mounted weapons are magnetized so I just put on the weapons in the images, that I thought looked best. I hope you like them!

Next up; 3 Contemptors with magnetized arms!

So far I have gotten 6 x Powerfist (claw versions) and 6 x Kheres Assault Cannon. My hopes are to get them done this month too.

·
3,351 Posts
Looking good man. The photos make them look dramatic but a little hard to see. None the less, they're impressive. I particularly like the word bearers arcane scrying on the first knight's shoulder. That's a result beautiful touch.

For some reason the photos aren't showing up through tapatalk, they just remain at 0% and don't load. I was able to view them through the web view.

·
Registered
158 Posts
These are looking really good, just a quick question, are the geometric shapes on the knight's shoulders transfers or something else? They look really good and I'm thinking of doing something similar on my own knight.

·
3,351 Posts
841 - 860 of 923 Posts