Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 60 of 923 Posts

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
That turned out looking really good. You should be proud of your work! =)

·
Registered
313 Posts
That drake is looking great. I really ought to buy one myself - it is just that I really don't like to paint large models... :(

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
it is just that I really don't like to paint large models...
I can totally sympathize with that. The reason I painted this model was because it has been standing on my table for something like 2-3 months and just staring at me. I felt bad and thought it was time to finish it.

But personally i vastly prefer smaller models.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can totally sympathize with that. The reason I painted this model was because it has been standing on my table for something like 2-3 months and just staring at me. I felt bad and thought it was time to finish it.
Heh, totally know what you mean with that. This Wraithknight I got for a birthday present must have taken at least 2 1/2 months before I could call myself done with him.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Right, time for the next project - Or should I say projects.

That's right, this time I will do 2 projects simultaneously. After finishing the Heldrake, I was in a pickle on what to paint next. I didn't feel like doing a big model (luckily I have none left) but I also wanted to compete in this months painting competition - A thing I haven't competed in since the very first. Needless to say, I didn't feel my skills was up to snuff. I'm ready to give it a crack now!

However, seeing as this months painting competition is a monster, I decided to paint up the last Daemon Prince in my collection for now. So I will do another smurf, while this one will be armored:

However, I also wanted to finally paint up my Pink Horror squad. I haven't painted small figures since my Bloodletters and honestly I'm craving the challenge. So on the side, I will also be painting 20 Pink Horrors and a Herald on Disc:

The Daemon prince will be done during this month, while the Pink Horrors might take longer, seeing as they don't have a deadline. But I will be providing more in-depth steps for the Pink Horrors as I have already done one for the Daemon prince. This one will have some armor on it, but the other parts will be the same as previously.

Now for the Pink Horrors start: As you can see I've already started a bit - Well actually they've stood like this for about 1½ month. They were primed in white and the basecoat is "Pink Horror" (Surprise!). Next they will be shaded with "Carrobough Crimson" as the Herald already has been.

The disc will done similarly to my Smurf princes. Based with "Caledor Sky" and shaded with "Drakenhof Nightshade".

Seeing as I'm doing 2 projects this time, there might be longer between updates. I apologise but hope you will stay tuned regardless!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
So I had plenty of time to get things painted this weekend so here's a little update before I head off to bed.

Firstly the Daemon prince is over half done. I didn't show the first stages as those have been detailed earlier in the project. However, seeing as I've reached the armor bit (which the other guy didn't have) a little image is in order.

As you can see, I'm trying to go for a good mix of weathered iron and gold. I'm trying to go for some of the tricks that I learned on the Heldrake to give it some funk, while the bracelets and ornaments on him will be given the same treatment as the other guy - You know to keep the theme. So far I like it!

On the Pink Horrors front, I've now primed and shaded them all. One of my friends, who recently got into the hobby, asked me how much a shading actually does. As I'm sure there are both veterans and newcomers watching this, I thought a little comparison shot was a fun addition:

The guy on the left is simply primed in "Pink horror" pink. The guy on the right also have the "Carrobough Crimson" shading added to him. And that's how all 20 are looking currently. Yeah, I've focused a bit on the prince for now to get him done for the competition - I'm also contemplating the colors I need to use on these guys. Currently I'm thinking "Emperors Children" for the first highlight and possible a 50/50 mix of "Emperors Children" and "Bleached Bone" for the 3rd. Any thoughts in this area are highly welcome!

That's it for now - I'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Heldrake was spot on man. ANd these guys are also coming along very nicely. Im not sure about using Emperors Children for the first highlights however as i think it might make them appear a little bit cartoon. on the other hand they are pink horrors so It could very well work.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Your armor and icons on the prince look pristine. You paint metals really well.

Looking forward to how you do your pink flesh aswell. I'm thinking of picking up a couple of spawns this weekend, and having an idea how to paint them is always nice ;)

Good luck and keep up the good work!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Im not sure about using Emperors Children for the first highlights however as i think it might make them appear a little bit cartoon. on the other hand they are pink horrors so It could very well work.
I know what you mean. It's the same problem I had with the blue hues ont he Daemon Prince, which is why it took me so long to paint the first one. I was afraid that they came out too cartoonish, so I might have to see what I do. Maybe a mix of the primer color and Emperors children, to take some of the edge of?

Looking forward to how you do your pink flesh aswell. I'm thinking of picking up a couple of spawns this weekend, and having an idea how to paint them is always nice ;)
Haha always glad to be of service! I will be looking forward to seeing your experiments as well ;D

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Right, so as you might have noticed (if you follow the various competitions here on this forum that is) the Smurf Prince is now done:

I'm quite happy with the balance between iron and gold, as I feel it still makes him majestic enough for a Tzeentch prince but also give him the impression that he's ready for combat. Alot of magical armor can easily look a tad too shiny, as if it won't really protect the wearer as much as it will bling-bling him all the way to the grave.

Now I can focus entirely on the Pink Horrors.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Nice work on the metals, I find it difficult to make them standout from each other but that's just me. Prince looks really good, especially for such a hideous mini (again my personal taste there).

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I find it difficult to make them standout from each other but that's just me
Oh I'm with you on that one. Truth be told I'm still having alot of trouble with it, especially on large flat areas, such as the axe head. I've kinda figured it out on bendy plates and armor, such as his thigh-plates, but the large areas are still a pain. I'm sure there's a easy trick or the like that I'm missing.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Right, time for a update.

I am currently in the process of adding the 2nd highlight to all the 20 Pink Horrors, bringing it to a stage that looks like this:

So far the pink hue is quite satisfying, and it's not nearly as "screaming" as I had feared. I am not sure if I should add a 3rd highlight, or if it would make it a bit too bright. I am considering if there could be a made a glaze effect on them, similar to the Bloodletter one from GW, that would give it all a nice finish on the blends.

The colors are made with mixes of "Pink Horror", "Emperors Children" and "Ubshabti Bone" from the GW line of paints. However, I am actually considering making a painting tutorial when I am done with these, if people are interested. You guys who reads this, do let me know if you wish to have a seperate step-by-step guide to make these fellas, as I know Pink can be a pain to work with.

Other thoughts, thinking ahead, is that I will most likely be trying to make som OSL from the flames, which will be blue (Blue Fires of Tzeentch and all that) and try to make them look magical in their own right. I am looking forward to that part in particular!

As always, thoughts, ideas and tips are most welcome!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I think you should see where you stand once the mdoel is fully painted before you decide on a thrid highlight. As they are not they look good but with the model painted up it might be different.

As for the turtorial i for one spend alot of time looking around the tutorials section for ideas and inspiration and since i still want to do a Slanesshi themed CSM army i would love to see a tutorial on doing pink.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think what SwedeMarine said is a good idea, paint it up near completion and then decide if it would look better with a third highlight. Or since you have twenty of them, make two test models; one with a third highlight and one as you have it now and compare the two. If you decide you don't like the one with a third highlight just paint over it with the darker tone!

Oh, and I'd LOVE to see a tutorial!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
@Miami @SwedeMarine Both are solid suggestions - I will definitely do that. Thanks!

Oh and there's already enough interest in the tutorial for me making it. After these fellas are done, I will do a step-by-step tutorial in how to make them from scratch :)

Next update will come when this layer of highlights are done!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Right, time for a update. I am nearing in on finishing these, but it's taking extra time due to the following:

- There's bloody 20 of them
- I'm carefully trying to find out how to do the flames, feathers, beaks, etc.
- I'm trying to document all of it, so I can make a comprehensive tutorial after these are done. The goal is to make one that applies to veterans as well as new painters looking for advice.

At the stage (stage 8) they look like this, having just gone through the "SHADE IT UP!" stage:

As you can see I chose to go with the Blue Fires of Tzeentch theme, as I think blue fires look alot more magical than usual. I just really like blue fire.

I'm finishing up the details and just miss the following:

- Highlights on flames, bones, etc
- OSL from the fire
- Beaks on the birdversions

These are taking a lot longer than anticipated, but they are turning out better than anticipated! I think I will do the feathers in white, with a blue shade in the cracks. The beaks will be a transition from a desert sand color to a more yellow color.

Any tips and thoughts are welcome.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Bugger me with a pumpkin! :shok:

That looks great, Nord! Can't wait for a family shot! :so_happy:

41 - 60 of 923 Posts