Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Oh my...... :good:

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
So time for another update!

It's been awhile since I did a big model, so I think it's time. I've reached the point in my gaming life, where I don't field anything that isn't painted, and there's a few models that I'm DYING to try out - Hence, the next project is also a bit ambitious.

I have gotten two Forgefiends for my birthday, and I want to use them! So after having them assembled and fully magnetized (So I can switch heads and weapons) they will be my next project. I've decided to have them without a base, as the model is nearly as big as the base anyway, so in the gaming world it should make a difference in terms of assaulting and shooting it. I've attached a image to the post so you can see them in their primed glory.

I will be trying out a new metal technique as well, that hopefully will have the smeared and oily steel look that I want. I've been researching quite a bit and found that the "Smoke" variant from Vallejo seems to be the effect I've been longing for. Mixed with a bit of Nuln Oil, it should be a good and nasty effect over any metals that I use. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it!

The one big part I'm in doubt of is the flesh. On my Chosen I've painted the mutated flesh in a pink scheme basically - But I'm in doubt if that works on a large scale or if I should go with a same theme as the heads on my Noise Marines.

For reference, here is a picture of both:

Maybe it's because I'm scared that they will look too pink, but I'm leaning towards the flesh scheme. It's just so standard :S I'm in a pickle over this one. Any opinions are wlcome!

I want these done by the end of the month, so I can submit something else to the painting competition and monthly challenge. So here we go!

Attachments

·
8,723 Posts
Two of them by the end of the month? You're a nutter, you know that right? :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Well you know me - I always love a challenge ;)
Tawa is right you are nuts man. But at least its in a good "Iwanttopaintasmanymodelsasipossiblycaninamonth" type of way. not standing over strangers beds fondling yourself while they sleep type of way. that i think is exclusively reserved for Neferhet i believe ;)

·
8,723 Posts
not standing over strangers beds fondling yourself while they sleep type of way. that i think is exclusively reserved for Neferhet i believe ;)
Taught him everything he knows...... :spiteful:

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Nord, I think the mutated flesh parts and heads look good, but in this case I think something less regular would be better. Why in the madness of Chaos would they have uniformly mutated skin? Armour I can understand. Armour is painted by the dark artificers or who ever. It should have a clear colour. Mutations however, I think should be more varied.

Have you considered using thin steaks of other colors? Or blotches?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Tawa is right you are nuts man. But at least its in a good "Iwanttopaintasmanymodelsasipossiblycaninamont h" type of way. not standing over strangers beds fondling yourself while they sleep type of way. that i think is exclusively reserved for Neferhet i believe
I giggled. I'll be following your Forgefiends with interest Nord! I'm having the same problem with mine, don't know what to paint the fleshy stuff as....

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
*In happy gilmore voice* You Can Do Iiiiiiiiit!
Tawa is right you are nuts man. But at least its in a good "Iwanttopaintasmanymodelsasipossiblycaninamont h" type of way. not standing over strangers beds fondling yourself while they sleep type of way. that i think is exclusively reserved for Neferhet i believe ;)
Don't ever EVER change guys! :grin:

Why in the madness of Chaos would they have uniformly mutated skin? Armour I can understand. Armour is painted by the dark artificers or who ever. It should have a clear colour. Mutations however, I think should be more varied.

Have you considered using thin steaks of other colors? Or blotches?
Interesting strain of thought. It certainly does remove the fear of painting too many different skintones for fear of a less uniform army overall. I shall think about it - Excellent tip!

Although, I will probably keep it within the skin spectre overall. In my opinion the only one who goes outside the normal (even if sickly) skintones are Nurgle, as it's hardly even flesh anymore. Just rotten puss and filth.

Molten metal?
Awesome idea, but wouldn't it fit Iron Warriors more?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Awesome idea, but wouldn't it fit Iron Warriors more?
Normally i would say yes. But youre talking about giant machines with demons inside them. no matter how you do them (you can still paint the metal whatever color you like to blend with the rest of your army) they are generally giant Metal constructs. the only exception id see where this wouldnt work would be a Nurgle themed army.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Another option is to blend the metallics with the flesh tones (which ever tones you choose).

I liked the result when I tried it in the past. It definitely adds to the techno organic feel.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
So I got the skintone down for now - I've always had a tough time with skin in general, so I tried to get a good natural tone for these guys and might do some highlight of the areas, where the machine goes into the skin.

However, now comes the interesting part: Making proper metals. I've wanted to do a different look'n'feel for a while now, so I though it was time to try some new things. I want to have that worn and oily steel look, which is a tad yellow in color overall. That look where it LOOKS like it weighs a ton and can withstand anything.

So far the progress is this:

So far I'm pleasantly pleased, but would love feedback from you guys!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
i think youve pulled it off pretty well. i know its not finished product but if you wanted to stop there i think you could and just touch up the details. The only thing that bothers me about the entire head is the studs that hold the teeth in. IMHO you might have been better served just shaving them off and having it be a normal part of the skin . other than that it does work like you wanted it to.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Taken me a while to get on here and ages to go through the backlog, but its cool to see the improvements the more you've painted. I like the flesh tones makes me think its some poor beast that's been experimented onto ending as a daemon/beast/machine crazy hybrid.
Needs to have some mad chaos scientist laughing manically with a raging thunderstorm going on. Its alivvvveeeeee!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nice flesh tone on the forgefiend, blends in well with the chosen. The joints on the tongue really look like oiled steel. Hyper realistic, like something you could see on moving parts of a motor or industrial mechanics. How do you achieve that?

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
The only thing that bothers me about the entire head is the studs that hold the teeth in.
Yeah I actually missed those, until I saw the picture. Those will be touched up when I do the eye as well (My signature blue elements on my Crimson Slaughter).

I like the flesh tones makes me think its some poor beast that's been experimented onto ending as a daemon/beast/machine crazy hybrid.
That was actually the thought I had, so glad to hear that it's working out! That or the skin is from loyalists that have been captured and used to make the daemon engines. :good:

I love the red armour and the way the flesh isn't drowned out by it.
Thanks! I always had a rough time with skin, but I quite like this general hue I must admit. I might use it as a template for future models in this army.

The joints on the tongue really look like oiled steel. Hyper realistic, like something you could see on moving parts of a motor or industrial mechanics. How do you achieve that?
That was my hope and the general feel I want of the metallics on this beast. I'm pretty happy about it myself, so glad to hear you like it as well!

I achieved it by looking at the Vallejo line and combining them with GW colors. I did the following:

- Undercoat of "Boltgun Metal" (Vallejo)
- Shaded it with a 50/50 mix of "Nuln Oil" / "Smoke" (Vallejo)
- Drybrushed lightly with "Boltgun Metal" (Vallejo)
- Shaded the joints with "Oily Steel" (Vallejo)

I also quite like the shadows at the base of the horn and around the teeth. The general metal feel of this combo is exactly what I was hoping for :D

201 - 220 of 923 Posts