Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

This game was released for free via Steam a few days ago, and is a remake of an old Unreal Tournament mod. It's a sci-fi top-down game that has an emphasis on team work, a bit akin to the game mechanics of Left 4 Dead. I've just finished playing through most of the first campaign, missing a few of the beginning levels, and it was pretty fun.

There are four classes to select. Each with their own special bonuses. The Officer offers damage dealing/resistance bonuses to the 4-player team. The Special Weapons generally specializes in bullet hose dakka action. The Medic, well...heals. And the Tech can hack through doors which would otherwise prove inaccessible. In some cases, the Tech class and certain weapons are mandatory to complete a level.

Each class has two characters to choose from, allowing two of the four players to use a class simultaneously. So there is a low chance your favorite class will have already been claimed as soon as you enter a game lobby. Though as I've said before, the Tech class is sometimes a mandatory slot to fill.

Unfortunately, there is only one campaign available to play as of launch. Though the game was released alongside with mod tools for users to create their own. So it can be anticipated that there will be many, many more on the horizon. There are 64 achievements to be unlocked, as well, and the game allows your account to level up the more you play. Which in turn unlocks new weapons and equipment.

Bottom line, it's a solid arcade spirited game. And it's free. So I recommend checking it out if you're in to sci-fi, team work or simply enjoy shooting the crap out of things. Those familiar with Left 4 Dead should feel quite comfortable with the way the level progression and lobby menu is designed, as well. Though I must admit I wish there were more variety to the monsters encountered in the game.

I'll be playing this a lot, I'm sure. Rocking the Officer known as Jaeger whenever possible. So if you see me 'round on Steam and you wanna play, I'd be happy to oblige. My Steam ID is: Mjolnir73

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
It's an awesome game. I was a huge fan of the original Alien Swarm mod, and this recreates the experience almost perfectly. I was a little sad that you're now limited to 4 players, but it's still a tremendous amount of fun.

I personally love running as the Special Weapons guy (wolfe), with a minigun and extra ammo. Just so easy to blast your way through!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had issues with lag, and frankly horrid teammates, who bunched up and shot each other as much times as the aliens.

One night maybe 3:00 AM, I got home and started a game with some european sounding guys, we had a blast and went through from start to finish with everyone alive.

Hell of a good time. everyone played to their strenths and did their jobs.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Personally I love running as Sarge with the Vindicator and PDW's I play with a couple of mates two of who are frankly shocking but me and the other manage to keep the tech alive while we need him then just go through by ourselves essentially. It's really good fun and is one of the best free games I've played i a long time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If only i didnt have crappy internet and i rememberd my steam password would i come down and rain fire apon thy unclensed foes.... i miss css.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I love running around with those shot guns and akimbo subs, although running a top heavy build at times isn't too bad either. Great stuff, Steam name is fixedjoshypuff, feel free to add me and hit me up for a game or two :thank_you:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts