Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a friend gave me her old airbrush since she replaced it with a new one. It is one that works on a siphon system. So, there is a bunch of waste with it, but hey, free. Can't beat that price.
Now for the most part I plan on using it to prime and base things, until I can get somewhere near @Nordicus levels.
I've mostly been just playing around with it. Since, it's been since high school when I last used one and that was 18, *cough* years ago. Dear Gods of the Warp, how did I get so old? Anyways.
I was thinking maybe I could do something to speed up the shade process. That thought being, prime black, drybrush with white, then spray color. The test model went thus...

After airbrushing Model Air Dark Green...

Picture isn't great on the end result, but it does have noticeable hightlighting in hand. I also think I may have done one coat to many with the green.

Other than that, any recommendations on airbrushing tips, (experiences, sites, videos) you guys can recommend. I have the new Knight and want to do those large panels with the airbrush so I don't get those brush streaks on it. More importantly I don't want to screw it up. :grin:

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I can recommend the tutorials by Awaken Realms. Whether or not the airbrushing style is your cup of tea or not, the techniques and thoughts they have on their models gave me a big push forward in how I approach a airbrushing project.

Secondly, I can recommend checking out the Nagash video series on MiniWargaming, as he paints it using airbrush and brushes. He also have some good thoughts and techniques that he uses.

I hope they can help you out, otherwise feel free to ask if you need anything. I'm still learning the airbrush, but I have just been at the stage where you are at, so i can relate to most of the anxiety that comes with learning a new tool of the trade :good:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you are going down the prime then drybrush then colour rout, a similar thing I can reccomend is two tone priming (I believe thats what its called) so prime the model black as you would normally, then using a white paint hit the model on the top at about a 45 degree angle all round, this will create natural shadows and highlights. Then using some sort of ink or tint, cover the model in that and it will colour the model as such.

Like this

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are going down the prime then drybrush then colour rout, a similar thing I can reccomend is two tone priming (I believe thats what its called) so prime the model black as you would normally, then using a white paint hit the model on the top at about a 45 degree angle all round, this will create natural shadows and highlights. Then using some sort of ink or tint, cover the model in that and it will colour the model as such.

Like this
I was thinking of giving that a try.
I think I'll make a try at that and see if that works better.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Like this
I'm a big fan of 3-tone priming myself. Similar as you said, spray it black and then instead of white you use a neutral grey at a 45 degree angle. Then hit from the top down with white if you're feeling lazy, or use the white on things you want to make 'pop'. Shoulder-pads, faces, weapons, maybe the tips of the feet and the knees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts