Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've sent this one out before, but I'm curious about people's opinions of different armies to make something of an 'air force'.

Mostly what I'm looking for, of course, is alot of fliers, but not just that; it needs to have some ground support obviously, so you're not tabled before the air support shows up. I've had a couple dieas, of course, but I'd like opinions.

Necrons, of course; you could theoretically run something like 9 fliers in 2000 points, because of Night Scythes + Doom Scythes. And probably still have enough points left over for a half way decent ground contingent.

Eldar seem decently strong with Crimson Hunters, especially with an Exarch to support bringing the fighters in when you want them. Add FW into the mix, and you could fill the heavy support with Phoenix Bombers... however I'm trying to stick to GW-only right now.

Dark Angels, sadly, is out. The Nephilim just fails.

Imperial Guard would win hands down if I was using FW, because of the Elysian Drop Troop army. But again, trying not to use FW.

Chaos has the Heldrake, but otherwise, it's just too weak in general.

Space Marines aren't in a bad place; Stormravens and Stormtalons, but again, they need to ahve some support to go with them, and I'm not very solid on the newest codex yet.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are you asking how I think they perform and my history with them? Or are you considering getting into making an army and you would like some guidance as to where to start?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Full air force? Only options are Imperial Guard and Necrons. Guard can mount a bunch of Veterans in Valkyries/Vendettas, Necrons can mount everyone up in Night Scythes. Not a good list, but it's thematic.

Midnight

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are you asking how I think they perform and my history with them? Or are you considering getting into making an army and you would like some guidance as to where to start?

The latter.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
IG. Either you go about the flyers casualy with the standard codex, or you go full force with Elysians. Yes Necrons can do it, but I think the sky's army wise belong to the guard.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well it depends on if you want your flyers to be vehicles really:grin: Daemons and Tyranids can both run a flying circus list which offers alot of options and is absolutely devastating^^.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it depends on if you want your flyers to be vehicles really:grin: Daemons and Tyranids can both run a flying circus list which offers alot of options and is absolutely devastating^^.

Actually, I have a list on the Demon page. it's pretty messy looking... 5 Flying MCs, and one deep striking. 5 Khorne, and one Slaneesh. it's all sorts of gruesome.

But no, I rather like the idea of a real air force. jets zooming across the field, etc.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Guard Vendetta Squadrons full of Veterans is really nice. Ally with Adepta Sororitas for cheap ground holding WAACs with Exorcists and you should be fine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Actually, I have a list on the Demon page. it's pretty messy looking... 5 Flying MCs, and one deep striking. 5 Khorne, and one Slaneesh. it's all sorts of gruesome.

But no, I rather like the idea of a real air force. jets zooming across the field, etc.
Then I'd suggest sticking with IG and going for something like an invasian army where your flyers drop their gargo and wreak as much havoc as possible. Actually if you like flyers that much why not go with Orks and take IG as allies? Dakkajets are awesome!:grin:

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
IG with allies of somebody else would work well, I imagine. Allied CSM or Necrons would work well, I think. Even Daemons, since you can get 2 FMCs out of one allied chart (though CSM have a FMC and a flier).

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I think space marines might be an interesting choice.

Load a few drop pods with troops and maybe a dreadnought. Then you have stormraven's that can drop off terminators or more troops. Landspeeders and stormtalons and even jump pack assualt troops can be used.

I think this would be a good option for an army.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts