Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this post pertains to Airbrushing.

I use Badger Minitaire paints for 95% of my air brushing. Do any of you guys use a mask while airbrushing?... I find it uncomfortable, so I don't. I have realized though, on my long brushing sessions, the place where I air brush is pretty big, but the ventilation isn't the best.

The paint is water based so I am not sure how harmful it is, if it is at all?

Also, during one of my long session, my air compressor stopped working all of a sudden. I noticed it was extremely hot. I haven't checked it yet, because I am at work now but do you guys know if some compressors come with an automatic shutoff if temps reach to high?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I personally don't use a mask because I am too lazy for my own good. I think it really depends on how often and for how long you use your airbrush, but yes water based should be *okay*. As for the compressor overheating, yes this is perfectly natural. Most compressors have a shut off for when it gets too hot, and badger will definitely have one. I tend to take a break between colours if I am doing a long time with one colour, it also helps just to give your body a break partciularly if you hunch over. If you want it to cool faster sometimes I just wipe it with a damp cloth or get an ice pack to cool it a bit faster.

But yes it should start working once it has cooled enough

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Personal protective equipment is a must. Find yourself a mask that is comfortable to wear for extended periods. Especially if your doing it for long periods. You cant see it, but there IS cast off that you are breathing. It's better to be safe than sorry.
I went to Lowe's (hardware store) and tried on several masks before finding the one I eventually went with. The only downside I have with mine is is that I'm a dipper (chew/skoal/snuff/etc.) so wearing it means that it's a pain in the arse to dip.
Another thing you can do is get a vaccum box. Where in the back of the box is a fan that sucks all the fumes/particles out and shoots it out of a house through a window. I've found that it works really well, even when I've used a spray can in a pinch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I have seen the vent boxes, but unfortantely I cant really rig it to a window. Ill just buy a mask.

Unfortunately the air compressor is not a badger (they are hella expensive), it is one that I got on Amazon for $100. Decent size tank on it so I just went for it.

Fortunately, I did check the manufacturer (whom I know cannot think of the name) and it is under a 2 year warranty.

·
Closet Dictator
3,428 Posts
Always mask up, can be uncomfortable, be a pain in the ass, can delay you 1.5 seconds when you go to take a drink, but always better safe than sorry

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Looks like I really need to get one too then!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts