Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on the blog earlier today, John French announced the next part in the Ahriman-trilogy. And SPOILERS. A character from the Advent short audio about Lucius will make a return apparently. Can't wait to see more of this and the cover for the novel.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Blog/and-the-winner.html

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John French wrote this on Twitter:

depending on the tides of release schedules, it is probably Ahriman: Sorcerer, and it's about the Athenaeum of Kalimakus.
So the segment from the Codex: Chaos Space Marines (4th Edition) on page. 51 will finally see the light of day now then and the continuation from ATS which was left open and unanswered.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also this has already been posted in another thread, but felt I should add it here as well while I'm at it. This really got me excited as I liked the first novel and the short The Dead Oracle was really good.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hope it ends up being better than Ahriman: Exile.

Did not think that book really did justice to Ahriman and French's writing came off rather underwhelming.

I'm willing to give it another shot though, as I really love the Thousand Sons and Ahriman, so I'd love nothing more than an awesome novel about him.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I'm looking forward to it. :)

It's rumoured there will be a crossover with AD-B's Black Legion Series as well, which is exciting.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
I hope it ends up being better than Ahriman: Exile.

Did not think that book really did justice to Ahriman and French's writing came off rather underwhelming.

I'm willing to give it another shot though, as I really love the Thousand Sons and Ahriman, so I'd love nothing more than an awesome novel about him.
What specifically didn't you like about how the book was written? I haven't read it yet, but I thought some people say it was good. Each to its own though.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm looking forward to it. :)

It's rumoured there will be a crossover with AD-B's Black Legion Series as well, which is exciting.
That for one would be entirely awesome! I think he did improve much of his writing in The Dead Oracle even though it's just a short so I believe this one to be better now that Ahriman is back with his powers and a purpose.

What specifically didn't you like about how the book was written? I haven't read it yet, but I thought some people say it was good. Each to its own though.
Many felt Ahriman was nerfed down from his former glory and power, but that is the point of the book. He hit his lowest after the Rubric and couldn't stand it anymore.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now available at the store: http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/ahriman-sorcerer-paperback.html

The story:
Ahriman, greatest sorcerer of the Thousand Sons and architect of the Rubric that laid his Legion low, continues to walk the path towards salvation, or damnation. Searching for a cure for his Legion, he is forced to consider – was the great ritual somehow flawed from the very beginning? The answer may lie within the mysterious artefact known as the Athenaeum of Kalimakus, a grimoire of forgotten knowledge that is reputed to contain the exact words of the lost Book of Magnus... or, perhaps, even a transcription of the primarch’s deepest and most secret thoughts.

Read it because:
This is the second part in the tale of one of Warhammer 40,000's most notorious villains. The Ahriman series explores the motivations of this dark sorcerer in greater depth than ever before. Horus Heresy fans will also find plenty to enjoy as the story harks back to events of this great civil war, particularly the fate of the lost Book of Magnus.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Didn't Kalimakus basically go "oh crap I've accidentally written this fuck off huge sorcerous tome and I don't remember half of it" and nick it when he left Prospero in ATS?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Oh wtf is Kalimakus then? I assumed he was a new creation.
Kallimakus was Magnus's personal remembrancer. He was psychically grafted to Magnus so he could note down all of the Primarch's inner thoughts into the Athenaeum without actually knowing what they were. And Ahriman didn't have access to it because it was basically Magnus's personal diary, he wasn't about to share the stuff he wrote down in there with anyone.

LotN

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Kallimakus was also mentioned in one of the old Codex: Chaos Space Marines editions. A while after the Heresy, Ahriman and his Rubrics eventually tracked down the Athenaeum and laid siege to the world that it was on. A cult had arisen around Kallimakus's works which was destroyed by the Rubrics. Ahriman claimed the lost works of Kallimakus and moved on.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kallimakus was also mentioned in one of the old Codex: Chaos Space Marines editions. A while after the Heresy, Ahriman and his Rubrics eventually tracked down the Athenaeum and laid siege to the world that it was on. A cult had arisen around Kallimakus's works which was destroyed by the Rubrics. Ahriman claimed the lost works of Kallimakus and moved on.
Indeed this! I asked French about it, and he answered that was the main plot for this novel, but it kind of expanded further beyond that if I'm not mistaken. :) I think that's where he was first mentioned and later added into ATS as a minor character.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I've downloaded it too. Just gotta get round to reading it at some point!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts