Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother moved house a few days ago so i was required to crash at my sisters house in order to help with the move (I live like a million miles away from them) In doing so, i took my case with some Orks in to contiune the painting and give me something to do apart from dote on my neice and nephew. She was asking me about them as i sat painting a Nob or two. Meanwhile my nephew had decided to steal one of them off to a corner to look at.

Explaining the game and its nuances to my sister and my nephews fascination got me thinking about the age range of our most revered game.
It says, if i recall correctly, on the AoBR box that its for 'Age 12 and Up'. With all the rules plus the unit specific rules and then the special character/unique character rules, and more rules governing Vehicles and then the painting/modelling aspect, Without including Fluff.

Who of you knows any twelve year olds who actually play? or thirteen years olds.
Is not the multitude of required things to remember to do or not do just a little too much for a child of that age?
Any thoughts?

SGMAlice

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I know plenty, i used to be a staff member at my local store at we had a lot of 12 years old's turn up for a beginners day.

Its the same across the country, we advise parents children can come in to the store for beginners once they have hit Secondary school. Every day we knew we were going to get 20+ children into our store to learn and play the game.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i know a few younger than that even. Quite a few players at my local at 11-14 and most of them started at about 10 or lower.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I started when i was about 7ish and at about 9ish i had a pretty good grasp of the rules then. But unfortunatly, i don't find many people that have done that. I reckon its about if the child is Properly intrested and not because Space marine looks cool.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thats Fourteen year olds ad man :p which is why i'm glad i'm 15!

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I started when I was... Hmm... 11? Not sure...

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Dang! so close. Ah well i'm still not in that age group :p

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
My son, who is now 13 cant really be bothered to learn the rules, and is much more interested in collecting and painting the minatures. I see this as perfectly reasonable and Im sure he'll turn to playing the game if he feels he wants to when he is older. I personally was doing role playing games when I was 11, and these can be just as complictated.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've played against a couple of early teens, and there always seems to be a few in the GW store I go to.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I think most just get interest in collecting and painting the models before they get a little older and then start trying to learn to play properly.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Who of you knows any twelve year olds who actually play? or thirteen years olds.
Is not the multitude of required things to remember to do or not do just a little too much for a child of that age?
Any thoughts?

SGMAlice
My son is now 11. I introduced him to the game when he was around 9 years old. He whoops up on me on a fairly regular basis. He has grasped the rules fairly easily and doesn't need the rulebook or codex for a lot of things. He struggles with strategy and a good deployment, but that can throw me off too trying to counteract a very random setup.
My daughter is 8 and wants to learn the game after watching and helping me and her brother when we play. Demons have peaked her interest because of the "cute" demonette models.
The two of them have even been known to bust out the current edition of Space Hulk and have a game. They mess up the rules more often then not, but they have the core stuff down.

They both have taken to painting models too. It has given us something to do together on those rainy days. "In the grim darkness of the far future... there is family bonding."

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My son is now 11. I introduced him to the game when he was around 9 years old. He whoops up on me on a fairly regular basis. He has grasped the rules fairly easily and doesn't need the rulebook or codex for a lot of things. He struggles with strategy and a good deployment, but that can throw me off too trying to counteract a very random setup.
My daughter is 8 and wants to learn the game after watching and helping me and her brother when we play. Demons have peaked her interest because of the "cute" demonette models.
The two of them have even been known to bust out the current edition of Space Hulk and have a game. They mess up the rules more often then not, but they have the core stuff down.

They both have taken to painting models too. It has given us something to do together on those rainy days. "In the grim darkness of the far future... there is family bonding."
dude, thats awesome. lucky dad eh? haha

i started around 12-13 and was deffinately more into the painting and converting, then i bought the 4th ed rulebook on a family trip to france and was hooked haha :p

tho i think its harder to get older people into it than younger people, my dad is living proof (but i'll get him one day!!)

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
I think 12 is about the right time to get into the hobby,but obviously it depends on the child in question,I have always said that if i am ever blessed with children i will encourage them to participate in the hobby if they want to, mainly because i think that hobbies are massively important and secondly if a kids gonna have a hobby it should be more involved then using his or her thumbs to complete crumb fed first person shootas while they slowly becoming obese and unable to interact with the opposite/same sex/humans without the aid of an avatar.
Wargaming although slightly controversial and considered geeky requires people to develop a level of creativity,maths,reading and social interaction amongst other things and in my eyes those are pretty important things to get by in our world, hell if they could incorporate 30 mins of cardio exercise into the game somehow it would be th perfect hobby.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think 12 is about the right time to get into the hobby,but obviously it depends on the child in question,I have always said that if i am ever blessed with children i will encourage them to participate in the hobby if they want to, mainly because i think that hobbies are massively important and secondly if a kids gonna have a hobby it should be more involved then using his or her thumbs to complete crumb fed first person shootas while they slowly becoming obese and unable to interact with the opposite/same sex/humans without the aid of an avatar.
Wargaming although slightly controversial and considered geeky requires people to develop a level of creativity,maths,reading and social interaction amongst other things and in my eyes those are pretty important things to get by in our world, hell if they could incorporate 30 mins of cardio exercise into the game somehow it would be th perfect hobby.
change inches into metres and weighted models?

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
I started the hobby when I was 13, and got a basic grasp of the hobby. I was in and out of the hobby for a few years, then when I was 15 I really got into it learnt the rules (especially when 5th ed came around) and started gaming a lot.

I think that if the kids want to carry on with the hobby then they will actually learn the rules thouroughly, thats what I've seen anyway.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I am glad to see the resident Heresy Dad's involving their kids in the hobby. That is just awesome. A perfect bonding experience, if you ask me. If I am still in this when I am blessed (or cursed) with children, I would love to do something like this when the time is right. I think it would be a blast.

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
All I can say is the avergae age of gamers in my store is around 14-15 - this is the average due to us having alot of 16-21 year olds a few older gamers though most paint and the boys/girls who play more are around 9-13 years of age, yes some are a pain in the butt, though most aren't and it's only exaggerated by the fact that the 18 year olds can't get it through thier own heads they were like that only about 3 or so years ago!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts