Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok as I understand it the end of the Age of technology comes with The Age of Strife and the creation of slaneesh. Then the storms abate around the time for the Big E to began the great crusade. Now I know the Astronomicon is needed for imperial ships to travel the warp but are the storms of the age of strife continuing and thats why the big E is needed to power the Astronomicon. It seems during the age of technology it wasn't needed.
Also the Emperor was with the crusade for most of it so how was he powering the Astronomicon while on crusade... or were the warp storms still abated until the heresy? I seem to be in a little puzzlement on how dangerous the warp is from the age of technology to the age of strife the great crusade could any one please explain this?

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
...Also the Emperor was with the crusade for most of it so how was he powering the Astronomicon while on crusade... or were the warp storms still abated until the heresy?
My understanding is that the Warp was calm enough during the Crusade for the Astronomicon to not be necessary.

The large power boost to Chaos provided by the Heresy made the Warp start to boil.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Now I know the Astronomicon is needed for imperial ships to travel the warp but are the storms of the age of strife continuing and thats why the big E is needed to power the Astronomicon. It seems during the age of technology it wasn't needed.
Its assumed that the technology the Human Federations used to navigate the Warp during the Golden Age of Technology was lost in the Subsequent Age of Strife. It can also be helped by the fact that the Warp was less Chaotic during the Age of Technology, thus it would have been easier to navigate.

Also the Emperor was with the crusade for most of it so how was he powering the Astronomicon while on crusade...
He was still guiding it, even though he wasn't on Terra. But take into account that the actual signal of psychic energy of the Astronomican isn't created by the Emperor, its only guided by him. The Adeptus Astronomica actually create the psychic signal. It may also be the case that some form of technology which aided the Astronomican was lost during the Heresy.

or were the warp storms still abated until the heresy?
The Warp Storms you are referring to, are what started the Age of Strife for humanity, and were caused by the stirring of Slaanesh in the Warp. When Slaanesh burst into divine consciousness the Warp Storms abated, allowing the Emperor (and the rest of humanity) access to Warp Travel again. Quite simply, the Warp Storms were so numerous and furious that they prevented all (non-suicidal) human Warp Travel, essentially isolating each human colony and thus bringing about the Age of Strife.

I seem to be in a little puzzlement on how dangerous the warp is from the age of technology to the age of strife the great crusade could any one please explain this?
Dark Age of Technology - The Warp was calmer. Humanity presumably used some form of technology to navigate the Warp (alongside Navigators who were discovered/appeared during the third DAoT).

Age of Strife - The Warp is infected by fierce Warp Storms, to the extent that eventually all Warp Travel for humanity is rendered impossible, or at the very least suicidal. Daemons and Xenos prey on the isolated pockets of Mankind across the Galaxy, even gaining footholds in the Sol System. All STC hardcopies are lost, as is countless and invaluable technology (likely including what humanity used to navigate the Warp pre-Age of Strife). As Slaanesh is born, the fury of the Warp is spent and the Warp Storms abate, allowing the Emperor to build the Astronomican and start the Great Crusade.

The Great Crusade - The Warp is much calmer now than it was during the Age of Strife (because Slaanesh has now ascended into the pantheon of Chaos), this allows the Emperor to begin his Great Crusade. Warp Travel is made possible again due to the Astronomican which the Emperor built on Terra.

And just to clarify, the Astronomican was certainly present during the Great Crusade:

Horus Heresy Collected Visions said:
Age of Imperium: ... Finally the Warp Storms abate and interstellar travel is possible again. The Emperor builds the Astronomican and creates the Astartes Legions. Human worlds reunited by the Emperor in a Great Crusade that lasts for two hundred years.
I believe its also mentioned several times throughout the Heresy series.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
The Warp Storms you are referring to, are what started the Age of Strife for humanity, and were caused by the stirring of Slaanesh in the Warp. When Slaanesh burst into divine consciousness the Warp Storms abated, allowing the Emperor (and the rest of humanity) access to Warp Travel again. Quite simply, the Warp Storms were so numerous and furious that they prevented all (non-suicidal) human Warp Travel, essentially isolating each human colony and thus bringing about the Age of Strife.

Dark Age of Technology - The Warp was calmer. Humanity presumably used some form of technology to navigate the Warp (alongside Navigators who were discovered/appeared during the third DAoT).

Age of Strife - The Warp is infected by fierce Warp Storms, to the extent that eventually all Warp Travel for humanity is rendered impossible, or at the very least suicidal. Daemons and Xenos prey on the isolated pockets of Mankind across the Galaxy, even gaining footholds in the Sol System. All STC hardcopies are lost, as is countless and invaluable technology (likely including what humanity used to navigate the Warp pre-Age of Strife). As Slaanesh is born, the fury of the Warp is spent and the Warp Storms abate, allowing the Emperor to build the Astronomican and start the Great Crusade.

The Great Crusade - The Warp is much calmer now than it was during the Age of Strife (because Slaanesh has now ascended into the pantheon of Chaos), this allows the Emperor to begin his Great Crusade. Warp Travel is made possible again due to the Astronomican which the Emperor built on Terra.
Not that I'm doubbting what your saying (you know a lot more of this stuff than I do!) But if the Great Crusade started started at the birth of Slaanesh, then by the end of the HH Slaanesh was only 200 years old?
I always thought that the warp storms started with the birth of Slaanesh and the fall of the Eldar and that humanity could only use warp travel again once the storms had died down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait though didn't the age of strife encompass 5000 years roughly that would go from the beginning of Slaanesh till the Great Crusade?
And what exactly is the Astronomicon, A bunch of psychics or just a machine tech?

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Not that I'm doubbting what your saying (you know a lot more of this stuff than I do!) But if the Great Crusade started started at the birth of Slaanesh, then by the end of the HH Slaanesh was only 200 years old?
From our perspective, yeah - Slaanesh was only two hundred years old by the time of the Horus Heresy. However, in the Warp these things are utterly meaningless. The Codices can say it better than I can:

Codex: Chaos Daemons said:
...That is how events are viewed from the chronology of the real universe; in the Warp, things are different. The Realm of Chaos has no true time, and events do not occur in a strict sequence of cause then effect. In essence, Slaanesh has always existed in the Warp, and yet has never existed.
Codex: Eldar said:
...This made it almost impossible for Human spacecraft to travel between the stars. With the birth of the Great Enemy the Warp was temporarily calmed, its rage all but spent. A new equilibrium was reached as Slaanesh joined the ranks of the Chaos Gods. With the Warp Storms around ancient Terra dispersed, Human worlds throughout the Galaxy were brought into contact once more. During the Great Crusade that followed, the Emperor brought humanity together and forged the Imperium of Man. In this way the death of the Eldar heralded the birth of the Imperium, and Mankind inherited the stars.
I always thought that the warp storms started with the birth of Slaanesh and the fall of the Eldar and that humanity could only use warp travel again once the storms had died down.
Its a common misunderstanding. :) But actually the Warp Storms built up and grew in ferocity as Slaanesh was being formed and coalescing in the Warp, then as she burst into full consciousness the Warp Storms abated.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You would think that in an empire of a million worlds at least one would have retained Dark Age technology. A world with high tech but low population wouldn't starve when the warp storms stopped incoming shipments from off world and has the technical knowledge to maintain its technological base. Not every planet got hit with daemonic incursions, either.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
You would think that in an empire of a million worlds at least one would have retained Dark Age technology. A world with high tech but low population wouldn't starve when the warp storms stopped incoming shipments from off world and has the technical knowledge to maintain its technological base. Not every planet got hit with daemonic incursions, either.
True, and some worlds did maintain Dark Age Tech - Working STC blueprints, power armour etc.

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
And quite a few high-tech worlds were put to the sword during the Great Crusade and the following Horus Heresy- Just look at some of the wonders described in the Heresy series.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
STCs are still recently discovered every now and then. Some Adepts go above and beyond to make new inventions. However they are in turn labeled heretic and only STCs of ancient designs are acceptable. Never progressing, thats 40k for ya.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts