Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Heretics. So, today has been my time painting in about a year and my second real attempt altogether(Space Wolves being first). I recently picked up an Age of Sigmar army because my friends, who aren't really into Warhammer were interested in it. I have finished or nearly finished my first model and thought I'd share it with the community for advice and suggestions.

So without further ado...( if the light is too bright please let me know.)

I did the armor by mostly dry brushing on top of a basecoat of mournfang brown mixed with black. I was following Den of Imagination's tutorial for Lion's of Sigmar, but experimented a little ;). Of course, it did not come out as beautifully in the tutorial, but I'm fine with how it turned out.

Any advice for improvement?

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
He turned our pretty well! A few criticisms.
1) the hammer still has some mold lines which could have used some trimming/filing
2) the dry brush looks a bit too heavy. You're developing grain in the metallic which is a sign of being too dry.
3) check the shoulders again, it looks like you have some blue spilling over the metal

The overall effect of the model is solid though. He'll look good on the table.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comment Kreuger. I try to trim down mouldlines, but some slip through my guard. Some of the Sigmar models are a little tougher to try to trim down without feeling I'm going to break something. But I'll double check all of the models again.

@(2. Ah, okay, I was wondering why I was getting that grainy effect. I assumed that one didn't need to thin down paint so much for drybrushing since so little is needed. My mistake :).

@(3. I will check again.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Glad to help! "Dry brushing" is something of a misnomer. It's almost never appropriate to have a literally DRY brush. In fact that's usually bad for your bristles and makes the brush harder to clean.

I'll one around when I get a chance to see if I can find a good YouTube demo (there must be one) and failing that, create one.

The most effective way to dry brush is actually more like moist-brushing. You want the paint to be wet enough to come off the brush smoothly. Then paint using quick and gentle back and forth strokes over the raised details.

[Edit] I know this from lots of experience. I definitely started out doing exactly what you did here.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking good, I like the dark gold armour. My only suggestion that hadn't already been mentioned is the rather vicious tone of red you have used for the hammer haft and trim. I suggest toning it down a tad and maybe shading it with a wash.
Thanks for the comment, Alasdair, I thought about your comment and I think you're right. I only have mephiston red and evil suns scarlet on hand, but I could make it slightly darker by mixing some black in. I'll give it a shot :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts