Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right guys dont know if this has been up before so bear with me.
Age of darkness is a new heresy book due out next May, any you guys have any idea what its about?
My own opinion is that its gonna be a collection of short stories.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Right guys dont know if this has been up before so bear with me.
Age of darkness is a new heresy book due out next May, any you guys have any idea what its about?
My own opinion is that its gonna be a collection of short stories.
Yes, it certainly is a collection of short-stories, detailing Horus` campagin (of genocide?) against the Imperium, with essentially the forces of the Imperium, and the loyalists of the Great Crusade rallying beneath the banner of the Emperor, and vice-versa to that of Horus, Post-Isstvan V.

As for what this anthology contains? I really don`t know specifics. I believe Nick Kyme will be writing something to do with a surviving Salamander and Ultramarine... doing something covert....

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Great thanks for that, where did u hear about that?
It mentions such on his blog: http://www.nickkyme.com/. Of course im not sure where he mentions it, but it certainly is in there, alongside some interesting information on the Sabbat Worlds Anthology, Firedrake, Grimblades and his Space Marine Battle novel.

However, back to the subject, I feverently hope the Cleansing of Olympia isn`t done by McNeil. It deserves a single novel!

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I'm very much anticipating this one, I enjoyed Tales of Heresy and hopefully will this one aswell. Its slightly more exciting given the fact that all of the short stories in Age of Darkness will be set post-Isstvan V, pre-Siege of Terra, the span of time of which we know nothing about.

And in regards to Kyme's contribution:

The short is tentatively titled ‘Forgotten Sons’ and features a lone Ultramarine and a Salamander on a sort of diplomatic mission that quickly turns to a battle for survival. I’ll leave the teasers at that.
Looks like thats all were gonna find out for now!

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Just a small update on Age of Darkness.

We now have 4 Short Stories confirmed for it:

Forgotten Sons, by Nick Kyme. Featuring a lone Ultramarine and Salamander attempting to keep a world within the fold of the Imperium by negotiation, yet Horus has sent his own diplomat...
Rules of Engagement, by Graham McNeill. Featuring a Legion 'close to Graham's heart' (Ultramarines?) and involving some unusual happenings with a brand new story arc.
Savage Weapons, by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Featuring the Dark Angels engaging the Night Lords.
Liar's Due, by James Swallow. Will not feature any Astartes at all, and is 'set on a remote Imperial colony at the height of the inter-legionary conflict.'

And the entire anthology will be just over 400 pages.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Rules of Engagement

Could it possibly be Iron Warriors, referring to the way they conducted their Siegecraft, as in they were open to an enemies surrender until the last trench was dug when they would deliver a final offer for their opponents to surrender otherwise no quarter would be given?

As they fought more and more, and became increasingly bitter this tendency to offer clemency started to fade until no terms were offered- possibly a Siege of Olympia style story?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Maybe. I'd like to see how Jonson gave weapons to Perturabo, but I agree with Bobss, the Cleansing of Olympia deserves a full novel, or at least be part of one.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
If I remember correctly, Swallow will be doing something about the Blood Angels. I forgot who's blog I read where they mentioed their involvement, but I know that it isn't any of the previously mentioned :)

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Maybe. I'd like to see how Jonson gave weapons to Perturabo, but I agree with Bobss, the Cleansing of Olympia deserves a full novel, or at least be part of one.
Definitley, I'd like to see more about how their legion functions along with how they cooperated with other legions.

It mentions such on his blog: http://www.nickkyme.com/. Of course im not sure where he mentions it, but it certainly is in there, alongside some interesting information on the Sabbat Worlds Anthology, Firedrake, Grimblades and his Space Marine Battle novel.

However, back to the subject, I feverently hope the Cleansing of Olympia isn`t done by McNeil. It deserves a single novel!
I agree, nothing against McNeill, but he did make the Iron Warriors look like crap in The Chapter's Due. I much prefer a not so stereotypical take on the Iron Warriors.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts

We now have 3 Short Stories confirmed for it:

Forgotten Sons, by Nick Kyme. Featuring a lone Ultramarine and Salamander.
Rules of Engagement, by Graham McNeill. Featuring a Legion 'close to Graham's heart' (Ultramarines?) and involving some unusual happenings with a brand new story arc.
Unknown Title, by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Featuring the Dark Angels engaging the Night Lords.
Elation and irritation in equal quantities here. Although the synopsis of Forgotton Sons seems a slight uninteresting, considering these two, rather bland Legions, it will be set Post-Isstvan V, so will be highly -in my opinion- intriguing as to how this ''alliance'' has formulated. Here's me hoping for some beautifully described flashbacks of the Dropsite-Massacre.

Also, Kyme's previous work on both the Salamanders and the Ultramarines Chapters has been impressive, dare I say the latter greater than McNeill's? But Fall of Damnos will decide that.

The second and the third points are both ecstasy, in the fact that firstly, Graham's Legion will most likely be the Iron Warriors (Or... maybe the Emperor's Children?) both, Legion's I'm very fond of, and Hell, I constantly gibber on about the Cleansing of Olympia. AD-B's title just oozes pure slaughter; two strong, brutal Legion's hurled against one another. However, going on the construction/format of Tales of Heresy, I do not think it is possible for either author to write a balanced, yet enthralling story in ~60 pages. Seriously. I strongly feel that the Cleansing of Olympia deserves a novel, and frankly, so do the Night Lord's, despite the heavy-dosage of flash-backs in Soul Hunter.

Bobss...

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I read some extra information about Forgotten Sons, can't remember when Kyme posted it but its accurate. It will be set on a world that is undecided between The Emperor and Horus, the Ultramarine and the Salamander are attempting to bring this world back into the fold through negotiation, but Horus has sent his own diplomat.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Graham McNeill said:
Last week I finished a short story for the forthcoming Horus Heresy anthology, Age of Darkness. It’s called Rules of Engagement, and touches on a brand new story arc, as well detailing some unusual happenings involving a Legion close to my heart
From the sound of it im guessing its Iron Warriors, though it if is starting a new story arc then perhaps the Cleansing of Olympia will get a full novel, and this short story may be about the Hrud cleansings.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
From the sound of it im guessing its Iron Warriors, though it if is starting a new story arc then perhaps the Cleansing of Olympia will get a full novel, and this short story may be about the Hrud cleansings.
As I said before in another thread, I really don't think Graham McNeill has the Iron Warriors "close to his heart." It definitly sounds something Ultramarinish. The Ultramarines are the ones who like using combat doctrines and rules in terms of the ways they do battle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ADB's story is gonna be called Savage Weapons.

QUOTE (romolo @ Apr 1 2010, 03:54 AM)
Mister ADB, is "Savage Weapons", the story in the next Horus Heresy Anthology, about Space Marines, if so which legion?

Yeah, it is. But I'm not telling who it's about yet.

It's based on this quote that I read about on a website about angels in Jewish legend, while looking for Astartes names:

"And the angels, terrible and without pity, carry savage weapons, and their torture is unmerciful."

It reminded me of the fake Bible quote in Prophecy.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
The list has been slightly updated again:

We now have 4 Short Stories confirmed for it:

Forgotten Sons, by Nick Kyme. Featuring a lone Ultramarine and Salamander attempting to keep a world within the fold of the Imperium by negotiation, yet Horus has sent his own diplomat...
Savage Weapons, by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Featuring the Dark Angels engaging the Night Lords.
Liar's Due, by James Swallow. Will not feature any Astartes at all, and is 'set on a remote Imperial colony at the height of the inter-legionary conflict.'

And the entire anthology will be just over 400 pages.
Looking good so far! Graham Mcneill's is still puzzling me though. :p

·
Registered
361 Posts
I agree, nothing against McNeill, but he did make the Iron Warriors look like crap in The Chapter's Due. I much prefer a not so stereotypical take on the Iron Warriors.
I also didn't like the portrayal of them in Chapter's Due, but I stopped thinking about Honsou and his group as Iron Warriors after the third Ultramarines novel, as once he went to Huron's planet and picked up a whole bunch of random elements and mercenaries, they ceased being the Iron Warriors legion that I started playing back in 2nd edition and became a marketing tool for GW's current version of the CSM codex.

That is why I actually would prefer a stereotypical take on the Iron Warriors, as I want them to be the cold, calculating bastards that excel in siege warfare as is described in the legion fluff and in Storm of Iron.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.