Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you guys may of noticed I now have 3 plogs on the go

My problem with the Blood Angels is I have to either strip and repaint my tanks (I need to darken them somehow) and I'm bored of painting my Imperial Guard (again loads of tanks and I can't decide on the paint scheme for them),

SOOOOO now it's time for some Orks!

I really am after some feedback, I think they need to jump out more, they seem a little flat to me, the issue I am having is I don't want the green to be brighter as these guys are meant to be double 'ard Barstewards therefore dark.

It's also my first attempt at free hand (the shoulders) and I'm pretty happy with it tbh :)

ps please excuse the drugs, I have a broken shoulder :(

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Alright Hellados, heres my suggestion to help reolve the flat feel you have going on. Without making the skin to much brighter, you will need to pick a shade brighter for small highlights of the skin. You can hit up areas around the fingers/mouth/face/pimped out muscles... to help bring out the dark green in your boyz. If it gets to bright hit it with some thraka green wash. I would also recommend using the green that you already used with a shade brighter 75/25 to make the highlights, make sure to thin it out.

As for your free hand...GREAT JOB! The squars looks pretty damn good.

Hope that little bit of advice helps.

Regards,
DoE

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@ DoE I think that's gonna have to be the plan, I may put another wash of Ogryn Flesh on them to dull them then bring parts up a tone or two

@ cirs85 where i got the above idea so thanks for the link and welcome to the site, just had a look at your blog, like the fantasy guys, I have an Empire army to paint at some point. . . . . . :)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So a small update and some advice please guys, I have started to paint up my 1st Battlewagon and I think it's too white, I am thinking go faster ('racing stripes') in red because as we all know red ones go faster but i need some advice.

also I cant decide on the red wheels, they dont seem to fit some how.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
LOL...Pazzzmck!

I would suggest maybe a sepia wash on the white, test it out first on a part that not so noticable. It should help give it a dirtier feel.

Nice Christmas lights by the way :grin:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
@ GrimzagGorwazza I may put in a few red pannels, I see what you mean by the wheels, it is definitely what was/is wrong :)

@ Disciple_of_Ezekiel weathering is coming once I like the colour scheme :)

the red on the stripes is going to be more BA red then it is here, this is just to gimmie an idea and to see if I definitely like it. The wheels need to be 'scratched' more i think. . . . . .

think it needs something else to break the blue up, some 'white flames' and maybe WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH scrawled down the side may work :)

hehehehehe i love orks

·
Febris Militarius
919 Posts
The stripes bing the red together much better, I can't help but wonder what it would look like if the glyoh or patch worl medal was red too. I live the dark green skin with the white/blue brightness. Sharp looking orks.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Luna wolf, the barrels I am planning on drilling out the barrels but as a rough estimate i have about 150 Orks and 100+ Space Marines :s

PS what do you think of the Big Mek or do i need to take a better pick, i'm getting kinda worried about the lack of responses to my posts, maybe they're all a bit unimaginative? :s

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Dude your work is amazing, I'm really digging your mekboy, it's nice to see a converted mek rather than one built straight from the pack.
People are definately checking in on your log even if they're not commenting, i've been looking back on a regular basis to see what you've been up to but feel like i'd rather just see what you have planned next instead of sticking my nose in.

Logs tend to get massive viewing figures and very little feedback, i've noticed that my ownork log rarely gets more than one or two responses before i update again. But the few i do get are from people saying that they like what i'm doing and to keep it up, i take that as good advice and just muddle on assuming people will tell me if i do it wrong.

Keep up the good work...i wanna see an army that i can challenge to a fight in the new year.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I'm liking the conversion Hellados, good job. I'd very much like to see it painted, the base is looking great too.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@ Alexious my bad boy is definitely going to get a number! the 1960 esque look is what i was after :) It may have to be on the doors though as the roof has the glyph on it. Also fluff wise it would work as Orks LOVE racing each other :D

@ Medic Marine I painted the white glyph red using photoshop and it didn't work, the white makes the red and blue pop so without it it was lacking something, on the side I can definitely do something red on the side :)

@ GrimzagGorwazza tbh i'll make you right on that one, it is hard to find criticism sometimes :)

@ Marneus Calgar EPIC!!! so festive!! love it! unfortunately as looters i doubt they would be giving a battlewagon as a present to anyone intentionally enough to gift rap it :(

@ Red Corsairs i'm just doing 10 boyz (got the silver bits and some detailing to do) and he's the next thing on my list :)

Thanks a lot guys, i was just checking to make sure the pics were ok, not too dark or anything, i'm going to look into making myself a photo booth but just haven't yet :)

·
Febris Militarius
919 Posts
PS what do you think of the Big Mek or do i need to take a better pick, i'm getting kinda worried about the lack of responses to my posts, maybe they're all a bit unimaginative? :s
I like the meck, Its a great change of pace from the same one eveyone else does. I find the base excellent as well. Love the "scratch" tesla coil and rigging.
As for lack of posts, it comes and goes one day your hot the other day your lucky for a "you suck" post. Keep at it!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts