Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... I went back through my list and changed it around. how do my points look guys? 2000

HQ
Wolf Priest w/ WTN and Melta Bombs 115pts
Rune Priest w, WTN, Jaws of the Wolf, Storm Caller 115pts

Elites
Dreadnought w/Multi Melta, heavy flamer 150pts
Lone Wolf w/ MOTW, Storm Shield, Melta Bombs, x2 Ferisian Wolves 90pts

Troops
X10 Greyhunter w/ X2 Melta uns, wolf standard, MoTW, powerfist, rhino 240pts
X9 greyhunter w/ Melta gun, MoTW, powerfist, rhino 215pts
X9 greyhunter w/ Melta gun, MoTW, power sword, rhino 205pts

Fast Attack
X1 Landspeeder tornado w Multi Melta 70 pts
X2 Landspeeder tornado w Multi Melta 120pts
X4 Thunderwolf Cav, x1 Storm Shield, x 1 Thunder Hammer 260pts

Heavy
Long fang squad leader x1 and x5missile launchers. 140pts

Long fang squad leader x1 and x5 missile launchers. 140pts

Total points 2000

How do my points look guys?
Leadership team up with the x9 Greyhunters in rhinos.
Ideas?

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
It seems a little underpowered for the kind of lists I typically play, but you have a ton of targets (saturation is good) and some real assault potential. Were it me, I would drop the lone wolf and the dread in order go get 3 upgraded razorbacks for my Long Fangs...

But you may be able to make it work... I just don't have jack for experiance playing thunderwolf cav... I'm assuming the plan is to charge forward with the cav with the rhinos moving 6" and doing psychic stuff....

You might think about dumbing down a squad and dropping them into a razorback for objective sitting... but that changes the way your list would fundamentally work.

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Well I would drop storm caller to get murderous hurricane instead. I find the abundance of 4+ cover in the game already kind of negates that power.

I also really don't care for wolf priests unless I'm leading a huge pack of bloodclaws and I feel he is being wasted on the grey hunter pack. If you were to drop him you could get some of the aforementioned razorbacks or maybe a drop pod for your MM dread.

That is actually the exact configuration I give my most used lone wolf. I let my long fangs and other support crack transports and he assaults whatever spills out. I can tell you right now that he has never failed me and he often either wipes out opposing squads of infantry or at least cuts their number in half. I also think he is one of the most fun elements to throw into a competitive list if the points can be found for him.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The murderous hurricane and the storm caller vex me so... i like both of them. on my last buld I had murd. huricane... I go between them.

I am up in the air about the wolf priest too... If i drop him I cant buy much with the left over points.... one razorback maybe? I forgot to list it in my points but I did purchase a drop pod for the dread.

the thunderwolf are for modeling purpose only. i been collecting bits for some time and abnout to build them up from choas horse bodies. Instead of the hoofs, I am scratc building mechanical clawed feet. Before the thunder wolves I have sky claws. I have been so talked out of them by the forums though... so I will intergrate thier jump packs into the thunderwolf scratch build as well.

I have this fluff concept for my army. They are splits from the normal space wolves searching for Russ but been gon so long they are no longer recognized by the imperiam. my lonewolf is basically a fallen rune priest and the thunder wolves are "ghost riders" that rode into the 7 hells normal but came back changed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
well your dread is either in a pod or the points are off. unless you wanted to add heavy flamers to your speeders your points are off there too, and your rune priest should be 110.

your cav is correctly priced but not unique so i would add a bolter/meltabomb/plasma pistol. put the SS on one guy the thunder hammer on a diff guy and the other thing on a guy, the last guy stays with nothing added and you have 4 unique guys for a perfect complex unit.

also i dont like the load out on the grey hunters, you have fists and power weapons on them but they dont do well with them. 1 attack fists and S4 pw? i would make your 9 man groups 8 man groups drop the fist/pw and the mark in each, buy a standard for each and then get 3 WG 1 with fist, one with PW if thats what you really want, and they get more attacks for cheaper.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HQ
Rune Priest w Living Lightning, Another power not choosen yet 100pts
Rune Priest w, Jaws of the Wolf, Murderous Hur. 100pts

Elites
Dreadnought w/Multi Melta, heavy flamer, drop pod 150pts
Iron Priest w Thun. Wolf Mnt., Cyber Wolf. 110pts

Troops
X6 Greyhunter w/ Melta gun, MoTW, powerfist, Razorback w Twin Aslt. Can. 210pts
X6 greyhunter w/ Melta gun, MoTW, powerfist, RazorBack w twin Las. Can. 210pts
X6 greyhunter w/ Melta gun, MoTW, power sword, RazorBack w twin Las. Can. 200pts

Fast Attack
X2 Landspeeder w Multi Melta 120pts
X3 Thunderwolf Cav, x1 Storm Shield 180pts

Heavy

Total points 1960 pts is what i now come up with....

I have now decided to change a little fluff and the army around following some advice... I have added one rune priest, knocked down my grey hunter squads to 6 and added razorbacks. I also dropped one thunder wolf cav unit and thunder hammer. I then added an Iron Priest to the mix on a TW mount.

I now plan to run the rune priests with the long fang units... I also plan on running the iron priest with the TWC unit. He wont join it but ride with it. Hopefully being forgot about and becoming an assassin unit for vehicles and maybe a monster. The Cyber wolf being a shield.

My fluff will be worked around a little bit to make it a company led by a cabal of three rune priest brothers... two brothers remain rune priests and one fell from grace and became a lone wolf seeking to regain his status one day.

The Iron wolf I just love... My TWC are basically modified Chaos Horses turned mechanical with metal talons instead of hooves. I thought I would drop the Thunder Hammer TWC unit and replace him with the Iron Priest. I know nobody him really but I like him. Someone needs to keep the tanks rolling!

I also addressed the Land Speeder point issue... I missed that one!

So how does it look now?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes CLT40k I have that intention of modeling my army into a XIII company spin off... the codex also mentions a lost company that ventured past the known uni looking for Russ... "past the Ghoul Stars..." My army fits somewhere in there... The Fluff is growing.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Illegal RP. Give one a bolter.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
1. give a RP a bolter or runic armor. you cant have them both bare.
2. make sure BOTH have Living lighting and a second differing power, i like JotwW and Murderious Hurricane

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Powers changed up and Melta Bombs added to Rune Priest. I still have 35 points if my math is correct. What else should I add or do?... This has been a lot of help guys.

HQ
Rune Priest w Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane choosen yet 100pts
Rune Priest w, Melta Bombs, Living Lightning ,Jaws of the Wolf, 105pts

Elites
Dreadnought w/ Multi Melta, heavy flamer, drop pod 150pts
Iron Priest w Thun. Wolf Mnt., Cyber Wolf. 110pts

Troops
X6 greyhunter w/ Melta gun, MoTW, power sword, RazorBack w twin Las. Can. 200pts

Fast Attack
X3 Thunderwolf Cav, x1 Storm Shield 180pts

Heavy

Total points 1965 pts is what i now come up with....

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Pf on the cav.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HQ
Rune Priest w Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane 100pts
Rune Priest w, Melta Bombs, Living Lightning ,Jaws of the Wolf, 105pts

Elites
Dreadnought w/ Multi Melta, heavy flamer, drop pod 150pts
Iron Priest w Thun. Wolf Mnt., x3 Cyber Wolf. 140pts

Troops

Fast Attack
X3 Thunderwolf Cav, x1 Storm Shield, x1 MeltaBombs 185pts

Heavy

Total points 2000 pts

I added Melta Bombs to the TWC and 2 Cyberwolves to the Iron Priest. I don't feel the TWC needs a Powerfist with it since the Iron Priest can support them if needed. He will ride in front with the Cyberwolves providing cover saves. Once in Hand to hand he can go "Hammertime" if needed with them or split off and destroy some poor tank... At least that is the idea. I am kinda thinking non savvy players will confuse the Iron priest and wolves as a unit with the TWC... To my advantage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts