Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Aegis Defence Line

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Mossy Toes 
#1 ·
Is it just me or is the Aegis Defence Line a near must have for any army that has some sort of long range support? Throw a Quad-gun in there too for just 100 points, that seems like a steal.

Just finishing up a Devastator Squad and I think the Aegis Defence Line is going to be my next purchase.

How do you make use of the Aegis Defence Line?

#3 ·
Bring the basic Line, occasionally with a Quad-Gun or Gun Emplacement depending if I have reserves or points spare, then line it up across the centre line. Helps out Orks so damn much, especially Mekboy Junkas which only need to survive two turns before they're completely expendable. Beware Barrage weapons, however.

#4 ·
With my IG, I need a bit of Skyfire lovin' to help my lone Vendetta. It's great having the extra 4 S7 shots coming out of a blob as well for when shooting at tanks or MCs. Another thing I do with the ADL in my IG/SM lists is use it just as the wall with a Comms Relay to help all my reserves get into play faster.

With my IF, the chapter tactic that grants you Tank Hunter for your devastator squads makes for re-roll glory against fliers and if you're taking on AV12 fliers that's all good news.

#5 ·
Let me also add that the ADL is really good because it can be taken with pretty much any army. It's a "unit" that be used in more than one army. So for someone like me that is finishing up a SM army but wants to start a Tau one next the ADL seems like a smart choice for both. Saves me some $$$ too.

#6 ·
I've seen fewer ADLs recently than around the start of 6e, but... often, yeah. Many armies with 3+ armor are able to dismiss the ADL and just hide in terrain if they really want a cover save, but certainly for more fragile armies, it's never nor valuable. Many players are also turned off by the lack of a non-imperial model (nids and eldar, etc), but 3rd party manufacturers have started filling that gap, and there's nothing to keep players from making four 5" and four 2" segments, plus a gun or comms bouy.

#7 ·
I think its a steal too. Any non 3+ army should almost always include one, imo. I usually create a tangle with the sections, trying to create a "no deepstrike" zone around my home objective or oterwise around a strongpoint with ruins/cover where i can safely hid my havocs & cultists. A quadgun is almost always included to give those cultists some way to earn back their points. Also, very handy to crush reserves and planes when they come in. The bastion is just not good enough, imo. The line can be deployed according to the existing ground, as i do, disturbing enemy DStrinkers or outflankers, or forcing dangerous terrain tests to vehicles. 100 pts its a steal. Only downside is the targettable gun emplacement. but, meh.

#8 ·
I usually create a tangle with the sections, trying to create a "no deepstrike" zone around my home objective or oterwise around a strongpoint with ruins/cover where i can safely hid my havocs & cultists.
Heresy Online said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to neferhet again.
Well, I can't quite believe I'd never thought of that nor seen it done. Excellent :spiteful:

#9 ·
im a raven guard player and with all my army being able to scout forward eith 6" on foot or 12" in a transport I normally place my adl futher up field towards the enemy lines which I can then normally be behind turn one to cut the distance to the enemy but have a nice cover save also.

#16 ·
I have recently swaped out my Aegis for a Bastion with Barricades x 2, Quadcannon and an escape hatch. (and Void Shield if I have points to spare). it gives me a strong hold that provides two spots to keep tanks in cover and a quad cannon with a much better LOS coverage. And the Bastion itself is more resitant than the 10 cultists I normaly have on the Aegis.

Now I am sure their are some army's that will murder the bastion but for the most apart it has been a game winner for me.

#17 ·
I have recently swaped out my Aegis for a Bastion with Barricades x 2, Quadcannon and an escape hatch. (and Void Shield if I have points to spare). it gives me a strong hold that provides two spots to keep tanks in cover and a quad cannon with a much better LOS coverage. And the Bastion itself is more resitant than the 10 cultists I normaly have on the Aegis.

Now I am sure their are some army's that will murder the bastion but for the most apart it has been a game winner for me.
I have to agree with this. I have a bastion and an ADL. When I have played on a flat board like that described I have found that my smurfs have been nerfed when facing AP3 weapons (in particular against some nefarious competitive players at my local club lol). Since playing with the ADL, I have been combining it with 1/2x vindicators, a TF cannon and scouts manning the quad gun. If I run the bastion Ill take dev. squads aswell, manning the battlements and taking shots where possible with 4x LC.

Generally running with a librarian i usually give the dev squad prescience, twin-linking the LC. It never gets old watching those expensive tanks get taken out. However, once the bastion goes, so does your cover. It always pays to give multiple targets to choose from, so the enemy doesnt focus on a prize unit. May be against the grain for some people, but it pays to have a disposable squad in your force, drawing fire away from the big guns. Maybe not in games <1000, but must be considered if you use such a firebase.

Back to the matter at hand, Id say the ADL has worked pretty well for me since I purchased it. Excellent vs. flyer-heavy forces, and not too bad as a firebase and instant cover for heavy firepower if the opponent has high AP weaponry of their own.

Just remember to spread the forces out, and cover your flanks/rear from D/Strike (personal experience :good:

#22 · (Edited)
I believe that Varakir is asking about Prescience since the default space marine Librarians don't have access to Divination for rolling on to generate powers. Tigurius and some other SM codexes (Space Wolves, Dark Angels), sure... but not standard Librarians.

#23 ·
Damned Tiguris....

I find that having a Warpshmith/Techmarine behind an Icarus is fun - BS 5, attached to a cultist/scout unit is kind of cool - Cursing enemy vehicles is pretty fun too; or a techmarine on bike makes it easier for him to zoom aruond fixing things should the need arise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.