Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really need help with a list or nothing, just on trying to decide to get my type of style figured out. My idea is to do a mix of speed freaks (deff koptas/bikes/stormboyz) and horde. I don't want to buy things and regret it.
So what do ya'll think? Is playing a mix like that worth it? Or should I just go with speed?

P.S. I have been test playing.

Bring back the looted Basilisk!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Bikes are generally very powerful for Orks. Take a Painboy with a bunch of Nob Bikers and you have what is basically an unstoppable unit.

·
4,491 Posts
Play different styles using proxies.

I started with horde. Got myself 200 Boyz. Didn't enjoy it as much as i thought.
Went to Nob Bikers. Got bored of them fairly quick.
Now enjoying Mech Orks with Battlewagons, and looking like im going to stick with them. :)

Basically, just play as many games as you can to see what you like.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Yes, bring back the looted basilisk!!

The only problem with a mixed list is that you either have to hold back the fast elements for the horde part to get close enough so that the whole army strikes at roughly the same time. Or you race the fast elements forward and hope that they can hold out long enough for the rest of the army to show up.
It is possible to still do this type of army but it does take some skill to use. You can stuff a couple of battlewagons with boyz. Through in some Kommandos to arrie quickly.

Generally my advice is either all or nothing so either go all fast or all horde seems to work for most people. It would be interesting to see your list to see what other elements are in the army then it may help to give better comments about the army.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I like lootas, a big mek/shokk attack gun, trukks, bikes, big gunz, one large horde and a weirdboy. Not terribly competative, but really fun to play.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually did start with running horde (got older orks for a good deal) and got extremely tired of moving 180 boyz every turn. :( I like lootas, fast attacks, hordes, and mech. I think a mix of all will do nicely.

I am mainly looking for a playstyle/list that I will have fun with. It is ok if it is not competitive.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mech with battlewagons and shooting support is a fun way to run orks. Nob bikers will either be considered cheesy by your local gaming group or get totally pummeled by MSU mas s8+ blasts or people simply putting objectives on the second story of buildings where bikers can't go. Horde can work it's just a pain to move all those models around.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I actually did start with running horde (got older orks for a good deal) and got extremely tired of moving 180 boyz every turn. :( I like lootas, fast attacks, hordes, and mech. I think a mix of all will do nicely.

I am mainly looking for a playstyle/list that I will have fun with. It is ok if it is not competitive.
That sounds a lot like me when I started orks lol.

What I decided to do was to go with a trukk-spam list. That way, you still sort of have a horde (of trukks anyway, lol), and you only have to move a few models a turn.

From personal experience, I find that lootas work really well when they're providing cover fire for a few trukks, and I'd assume bikes would compliment trukks quite well too. However, I chose to use nobs in battlewagons instead of on bikes.

If you want a list, here's what I started out with:

HQ:
Warboss (with or without mega armour, joins nobs)
Maybe a KFF Big Mek (he can join a boyz squad)

Elites:
Lootas (the bigger the squad, the better!)

Troops:
Nobzs (mega or not, depends on warboss)
Dedicated battlewagon w/ deffrolla (rollas are fun!)

A few 'trukkfuls' of boyz (every squad has a nob w/ bosspole and power klaw)

Heavy Support:
Battlewagon w/ killkannon, or maybe a looted wagon w/ boomgun (looted basilisk, perhaps? lol)

Actually, I still use lists very similar to this one with great success. However, with a list like this you'll only be using 30 or 40 boyz. The thing about fast lists is that footsloggers generally don't fit into them. They get left behind, and become an easy target. I'd say go with either all mech, or all footslogger, not a bit of both. But, that's just personal opinion.

Anyway, I hope my advice helps a bit. Good luck with your orks! :victory:

·
Registered
147 Posts
The good thing with orks is that you never regret buying things :grin: due to multiple builds that you can make and IMO is one of the best looking armies to field in larger battles or apoc.
But as been said used proxy to get the feel of what you like ect.
I myself prefer a balanced army with parts from all styles, although not in style with competive lists, it allows me to have the best of all worlds.
Kommandos hit turn 1/2 dieing but giving my trukk boyz time to engage which die but giving time for more poor reserve rolls to allow my stormboyz/ bikes to engage which die but gives time for my foot mobz and kanz to advance across the board to land the killing blow. Whilst the waves are hitting the enemy my lootaz/SAG/lobbas ect are doing thier best to disrupt the enemies reserves from joining the frey or making them foot sloggas. Not forgetting the grotz which loiter around objectives going to ground when ever under fire. Under this style I have found that I put my opponents on the back foot and the waves give them no respite, also able to take on any opponent.
In time you can specialize with what you enjoy but remember if you do lean towards one thing over all else, you may be strong in some areas but you will have weaknesses. ie bikes are great but it does hurt when a vindi land its shot on top of your unit to kill them all or you assault a squad in cover only to fail all/most dangerous terrain tests, this does make you cry, happens all the time to me to the extent my normal friends have tried to bring the house rule of buy terrain as elete selection :(
But at the end of the day orks are fun and great to play, just beaware in most builds you will take alot of casulties but you always have more.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ie bikes are great but it does hurt when a vindi land its shot on top of your unit to kill them all or you assault a squad in cover only to fail all/most dangerous terrain tests, this does make you cry, happens all the time to me to the extent my normal friends have tried to bring the house rule of buy terrain as elete selection :(
In your example, what did you mean by the highlighted?
As I might of said before, that is why I am playing orks as a secondary army. FOR FUN! I am leaning more towards as you have said, "prefer a balanced army with parts from all styles." I believe it can and will work for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
it means as per rules for assaulting into terrain with bikes, must take dangerous terrain test, as I have extremely bad luck with those rolls, my mates pull the piss trying to buy more terrain as it is the deadliest thing to me. As we all know eletes are normally the most effective killing machine on the table.
So when I field an all bike list I lose most of my force to dreaded dangerous terrain test:(

So to me balanced army is good and fun, specialized armies can be strong but they do have weaknesses. One thing I did find with orks is that I had so fun playing they became my main army, fielding others only occationally now :grin:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as your mates forcing your bikes to be handicapped due to a large amount of terrain, a good way to decide on the amount should equal about the fourth size of a 6'x4' table.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I play orks competitively, and a fairly standard list of mine looks something like this:

HQ:
Warboss - Warbike, Power Klaw, Attack Squig, Cybork Body
Ghaz

Troops:
5x Nob bikers - 1 PK, 1 PK & BP, 1 Waagh! Banner, 1 Big Choppa, 1 Painboy. Warboss on bike goes here

5x Meganobz - 1 kombi rokkit, 1 kombi skorcha - battlewagon /w RPJ, Deff Rolla, 1x Big shoota, Grot Rigger

20 shoota boyz /w 2 big shootas - Nob /w PK, BP

20 shoota boyz /w 2 big shootas - Nob /w PK, BP

Heavy:
Battlewagon /w RPJ, Deff Rolla, 1x big shoota, grot rigger

Battlewagon /w RPJ, Deff Rolla, 1x big shoota, grot rigger

If points permit, I'll throw in lootas - as many as I can as they are so useful.

Essentially I ram everything down my opponents throat, deff rolling as much as I can. Ghaz is there to basically assassinate whatever needs to be killed as he is nigh invincible on the turn he waaaghs. Meganobz clean up troop choices. Nob bikers are a great distraction and help shut down long range artillery/troop choices. The shoota boyz finish up whatever is left. Putting wounds on big things or mass wounding small things.

Works pretty well. Fast moving. Fewer models to move. Everything packs a fairly decent punch in CC as well as being able to put out firepower.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I discuss fairly extensively building different kinds of ork armies in the tactica link in my sig, should you wish to peruse that.

There are a whole bunch of things that are effective for casual play, my favorite probably being bikes or stormboyz hitting a flank and a general sweep with a horde. For competitive settings, battlewagon rush is the only thing that's really competitive right now, though kan wall holds its own decently well and nob bikers give people who aren't prepared to deal with them fits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts