Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after years of 3+ armour saves and black rage I'm thinking of starting a guard army just for a drastic change. I'm gonna try for a Praetorian Guard force since I've managed to round up some old figures and figure out a way of kit bashing more together (and since they're so cool!). Fluff wise I see them as a mostly infantry force, so without further rambling here's the list at 1500:

No category:
Primaris Psyker - Mastery Level 2

Priest

HQ:
Company command squad, regimental standard, vox-caster, grenade launcher, medic

Troops:
Infantry platoon 1:
3x squads with vox-caster, missile launcher and grenade launcher. Sergeants all get bolters.
Platoon command squad: platoon standard, vox-caster, lascannon. Junior officer gets bolter.
Heavy weapons squad with 3x mortars

Infantry platoon 2:
3x squads with vox-caster, missile launcher and grenade launcher. Sergeants all get bolters.
Platoon command squad: platoon standard, vox-caster, lascannon. Junior officer gets boltgun.
Heavy weapons squad with 3x flakk missile launchers

Infantry platoon 3:
3x squads with vox-caster and grenade launcher. Sergeants all get bolters.
Platoon command squad: platoon standard, vox-caster, grenade launcher. Junior officer gets boltgun.
Commisar

Fast Attack:
Vendetta Gunship

Fortifications:
Aegis with quad-gun

1497 points

So the idea is that the primaris psyker, company command squad, platoon one, platoon two and the aegis all hang around the deployment zone area launching as many template weapons as they can at the enemy infantry for maximum number of wounds, some of which will hopefully get through.
The psyker will take divination which in combo with the orders will hopefully boost my shooting phase.
There's a total of two lascannons and nine missile launchers (three of which can also shoot flakk missiles) for tank busting while the aegis, vendetta and the flakk missiles are primarily on anti flyer duty, after which they'll look for targets of opportunity.
While all this is going on platoon three will mob up into a thirty man squad with three grenade launchers and advance on the enemy/objectives, taking the commisar and priest along for the ride.
Oh and the reason for the standards is theming, I'd expect the praetorian guard to take a whole marching band too!

Apologies for the rushed explanation, I'm short on time. Any help would be grand.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think it would be effective, but what's the deal with all the vox casters? I know they help with orders but I'd total up the cost of them all and see if I could get something better for that. Looks to me like you could definitely cut back on about three quarters of them and get another psyker for the points saved. Not every unit is going to be receiving orders, often lots of those voxes would go the entire game without use

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
So after years of 3+ armour saves and black rage I'm thinking of starting a guard army just for a drastic change. I'm gonna try for a Praetorian Guard force since I've managed to round up some old figures and figure out a way of kit bashing more together (and since they're so cool!). Fluff wise I see them as a mostly infantry force, so without further rambling here's the list at 1500:

No category:
Primaris Psyker - Mastery Level 2

Priest
Nothing on the priest? What's his purpose, if he doesn't have HTH upgrades?
HQ:
Company command squad, regimental standard, vox-caster, grenade launcher, medic
without a Chimera, these guys are pretty much a massive target. I'd invest in carapace armor and a transport to keep them alive to issue orders. These are your Warlord?
Troops:
Infantry platoon 1:
Platoon command squad: platoon standard, vox-caster, lascannon. Junior officer gets bolter.
Heavy weapons squad with 3x mortars
Mortars are less than optimal unless you see a lot of infantry horde armies. Autocannons are a better bet, in my opinion.
Infantry platoon 2:
Platoon command squad: platoon standard, vox-caster, lascannon. Junior officer gets boltgun.
Heavy weapons squad with 3x flakk missile launchers.
Flakk is probably not a great use for these launchers. STR 8 vs flyers without ap:1 or 2 isn't likely to be worth the points you spend on them.
Infantry platoon 3:
3x squads with vox-caster and grenade launcher. Sergeants all get bolters.
Platoon command squad: platoon standard, vox-caster, grenade launcher. Junior officer gets boltgun.
Commisar

Fast Attack:
Vendetta Gunship

Fortifications:
Aegis with quad-gun
you lack a little heavy Anti-Tank. A Leman Russ of some sort might help a lot. This army would struggle against anyone fielding a Land Raider or Lord of War.
1497 points

So the idea is that the primaris psyker, company command squad, platoon one, platoon two and the aegis all hang around the deployment zone area launching as many template weapons as they can at the enemy infantry for maximum number of wounds, some of which will hopefully get through.
The psyker will take divination which in combo with the orders will hopefully boost my shooting phase.
There's a total of two lascannons and nine missile launchers (three of which can also shoot flakk missiles) for tank busting while the aegis, vendetta and the flakk missiles are primarily on anti flyer duty, after which they'll look for targets of opportunity.
While all this is going on platoon three will mob up into a thirty man squad with three grenade launchers and advance on the enemy/objectives, taking the commisar and priest along for the ride.
Oh and the reason for the standards is theming, I'd expect the praetorian guard to take a whole marching band too!

Apologies for the rushed explanation, I'm short on time. Any help would be grand.

Even a primarily foot army for the Guard would have a few vehicles. Think on what you would do if you faced a couple of Land Raiders with this army.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Die in droves? Isn't that what the guards for? Seriously though, thanks for the advice guys. I belatedly realised that a vox caster each for the the squads I intend to mob up was a bit daft, two of those are definitely gonna go, but I was advised by a guard playing friend of mine to never leave home without them. How many do you reckon is good? One per platoon?

As for the mortars my usual opponents are Orks and guard, I figured they'd be a good bet since even if they scatter they'll probably hit somebody. And anti-tank is an issue. I'll probably drop the flakk launchers for another vendetta which keeps some anti-flyer capability and can go tank hunting.

What's your advice for the priest load out then? I was just hoping his prayers would keep them around longer, and is a power weapon on the commisar a good idea?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts