Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've always been envious of the Chimera, I've always wanted to model an inquisitor from scratch, and tinkering with a retinue, or at least scratch-building some distinctive ISTs.

And right now I've got a nice, fully mechanized BA list, and a mounted inquisitor would fit right in.

Current list is as follows
HQ
Mephiston
Lemartes
5-man Honour Guard w/2 Meltagun, 1 Powerfist, HB Razorback

Elite
10-man Death Company (no JPs)

Troops
5 man Tactical, Plasgun LC Razorback
5 man Tactical, Plasgun LC Razorback

Fast
MM Attack Bike
MM Attack Bike
MM Attack Bike

Heavy
Baal Pred w/HB Sponsons
Baal Pred w/HB Sponsons
Land Raider Crusader (Or standard)

Deathco goes inside the raider, ICs follow in its wake, tacs set up mobile gunlines, tanks and bikes hunt down troops or tanks.

I'm thinking of replacing the Honour Guard and possibly one of the attack bikes with an Inquisitor and either a retinue or a squad of ISTs for him to hook up and ride with.

I was thinking of Daemonhunters because of the psycannon, though WH have better CC options (shotgun ISTs, cheaper power weapons, Crusaders, etc)

So does anyone have any suggestions? should I just keep the list as-is, or do you think some inquisitorial presence will add anything to it (or at least att character without detracting from power)

·
Registered
145 Posts
very very nice, keep it away from my precious firewarriors

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is that a vote to keep it as is, or do you think perhaps a psycannon-toting inquis with some HB servitors, or plasgun-equipped ISTs in place of that HG and one of the bikes would add any value?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Would make the list a bit more interesting thats for sure. However can BA even take =I= forces?

I'd take the =I= if I were you. Good to have a bit of a fire base.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We can indeed.

We just say "Hey, look over there, daemons!" to distract them as we deploy the death company ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Sure, go ahead and make the unit. It would definitely looks sweet, though I'd not go with the same setup as you...

Just try an Elite Inquisitor with a group of henchmen providing a few heavy bolters and a plasma cannon, and assign them a Chimera.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far nobody but you has mentioned any configuration for the inquisitor. I'm not sure what I'd do with him. I was thinking either all heavy bolters, a couple sages and maybe an acolyte or two, or instead, teaming him up with some ISTs with plasguns.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Right then what to arm your =I= with.:

- Option 1: The basic shooty =I= is

=I= with Psycannon
2 Heavy Bolter Servs
1 Plasma Cannon Serv
1-2 Sages (depending on what type of =I= you've taken, points etc)
1-2 Mystics (depending on what type of =I= you've taken, points, personal preferance and enemy etc)

Strenghts: Can lay down a shit load of fire that can take out horde units, light vechiles and potentially deep striking units quickly.

Weaknesses: Very stationary and weak in CC, if the enemy deep strikes right on top of you and you don't kill it straight away - your dead.

- Option 2: The move and shoot =I=:

=I= with Psycannon, Melta Bombs
3 Warriors with Plasma Guns/Melta Guns/Flamers (depending on the role you want them to fufill)
1 Sage (depending on what type of =I= you've taken, points etc)
Chimera - Extra Armour etc

Strenghts: Fast, can be versitile depending on weapons fit for both the tank and the occupants.

Weaknesses: While not to the same extent as option 1 this unit still won't stand up well in CC either. If you have the points I'd give the =I= a Inv Save, a power weapon and some Acolytes with Storm Sheilds.

- Or you can go kit him out for CC and go the usual route.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it has to be mobile, or at least mounted to fit the theme. Even a stationary firebase, I need to budget points for the chimara, just to have it. (It can either park beside them as extra fire support, or range ahead)

I was thinking about three vets with assault weapons, but then I realized you could just pair him with a squad of ISTs and get two assault weapons, but more guys with 4+ saves and BS4 hellguns

And if I wanted to go a little cheezy I could take an OM inquisitor and an OH IST squad and take shotguns ;-) but if I go with plasguns then there's no reaosn not to just stick to hellguns.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Chimera with Heavy Flamer and Heavy Bolter. 5 IST's with VSgt, Power Weapon, 2x Plasmagun. OM Inquisitor w/ Tarot, Weapon of Choice.

This will give you a farily inexpensive unit that can do duty as a support unit to your core Marines. It can lay down enough supporting fire to distract your opponent and discourage him from assautling with anything less than a dedicated assault unit, and the Tarot may give you the edge on turn one. It also gives you a 'home team' to contest your starting table quarter, and with the ability to 'hide' if necessary.

Try to stay away from the OH Arbites/Stormies. Their shotguns are virtually worthless in the 40K environment. Double tapping str3 shots at close range is worthless as you'll want what shots you do take to be taken at long range. These guys are not meant to survive assaults, so keep them out of assault range. Stormies with a couple of Plasmaguns should do the thick.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure I like the heavy flamer, tanks should be out of assault range if possible.

As for the shotguns, I'd only use them if I was gearing up for assault, in which case they're a better choice than hellguns, or even pistol and CCW (if that were an option).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts