Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have my Thousand Sons... infantry heavy and heavily based around Sorcerers and Knights and very 'gothic' feel. Anti Demon, but heavy sorcery, etc etc. Lots of Rubrics marching forward with AP3, using Obliterators ('war mages'), Noise Marines, lots of heavy firepower infantry.

So I'm pondering a new army. I'm trying to come up with a new army now, and have two ideas I'd like to try.

The first idea is a 'cavalry' based. It's something I had always wanted to do in Fantasy, but wasn't able to click properly. And in 40k, I don't know if it can be done well, but I'm looking for opinions on something like that. I had ideas with Ravenwing, but even those weren't really built for it so much as flanking bolter platforms. Blood Angels aren't bad, with jetbacks and assault troops... Space Wolves have those amazing wolf packs and the Thunderwolf Cavalry... One thing I don't really want if I go this way is any foot slogging Tactical marines... they seem so counter to that sort of idea.

The other idea is a 'mech' based force. I love Walkers. Dreadnoughts, Contemptors, Decimator Engines, Triarch Stalkers, Sentinels... I love that sort of model, they're great to build, lots of customization, lots of opportunities to work with. Dreadknights are my ultimate favorite so far. I would love an army with a lot of these models, with different variants, etc. I'd love to combine this 40mm units... Crisis suits, Terminators... Large, bulky 'robot' style armies. I know that Space Marines can have up to 6 Dreadnoughts, but not in any of the armies that allow Troop Termies... and while Tau have all their great new suits, they still need Firewarriors, and the Crisis Suits and Riptides share the same slots.

I don't mind tanks, but I'm not a big fan of them... and I really dont want to run transport-heavy armies like a rhino rush. Battle tanks are another story... but honestly, I'd rather use Walkers and just heavy infantry, instead of transports and rank and file.

So... totally crazy? Mad and random? Doable? stupid?

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Well, if you wanted to go for cavalry demons have quite a of those. I believe some imperial guard units do as well (rough riders or something?) Alternatively you could go for some space wolves (some do ride wolves, and they fight alongside).

If you were to go for the mech feel, I would say Blood Angels is the way to go (maybe I'm biased but hey). They have fast AV13 tanks that can put some serious hurt on opponents, have great counter-assault units (ASM, scoring) and can take dreadnoughts as troops with enough DC. In addition, they have the furioso dreads, which absolutely shred in combat (despite AP3). Now, these dreads aren't scoring and neither are the DC, but you can still get the troops in. Now, I know DC aren't terminators, but they're much cheaper and can still pack quite a punch. They are also (in some situations) more durable than Termis (3+/5+ FnP vs 2+, so against small arms fire). They are not hulking, but still incredibly terrifying.

Here's a sample list I found on here a while ago.

HQ: Captain Tycho (probably Death Company version)
* He is here for his Special Issue Ammo choices.

Troops:
Death Company:
x24 Death Company w/ Bolter & Chainsword
x1 Death Company w/ Bolter & Power Weapon

x5 Death Company Dreadnought
w/ Blood Talons (Melta Gun / Heavy Flamer) & Magna Grapples
+ Drop Pod

Heavy:
x3 Dreadnought w/ x2 Twin Autocannons

Elite
x3 Furioso Librarians
(All w/ Wings of Sang -
1 w/ Sanguine Sword, Unleash Rage, Might of Heroes)

2500 on the nose =D

Pasted from <http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108623>

You could do that, or you could go with a couple dropping dreads and a bunch of fast tanks, or really whatever you want. BA have powerful meching capabilities that seem suited to your needs.

Alternatively, you could always go with the mass IG tanks thing, but that doesn't seem to be what you're looking for.

I hope you choose the right army :wink: *nudges* but no matter what your choice good luck and good gaming my friend!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Have you considered either eldar race for cavalry? Jetbikes may be more in line with what you want, and you can team them up with shining spears, war walkers and wraithlords. Dark eldar have jetbikes, Venoms and nightwings, but you may struggle to hold objectives...

I think you mean mech in mech-warrior more than mechanised infantry sense, so i'd advocate blood angels, grey knights or some allied combination of races.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you considered either eldar race for cavalry? Jetbikes may be more in line with what you want, and you can team them up with shining spears, war walkers and wraithlords. Dark eldar have jetbikes, Venoms and nightwings, but you may struggle to hold objectives...

I think you mean mech in mech-warrior more than mechanised infantry sense, so i'd advocate blood angels, grey knights or some allied combination of races.
Honestly, Eldar was what I had been considering more than anything else for Cavalry, because they got Guardian Jetbikes as troop. However, Shining Spears tended to suck and Guardians were too fragile to act in anything beyond MSM style. I may wait to see what June has in store when the new Eldar come out.

·
Registered
936 Posts
You mentioned space wolves. I play a fallen angel army and I have some Thunderwolves converted from the chaos knights and dark angel vet bodies. I think something like that would be what your looking for. Otherwise Iraqiel and Haskanael suggested bikes and I agree, regardless of flavor. Maybe bikes and Thunderwolves for allies. throw the 5 man hunter squad on an autocannon or simply an objective sitter. JAMOB brings up a mounted death company. Absolutely killer and fun! Not competitive but unless you are going to take this list to a tourney then who cares?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mentioned space wolves. I play a fallen angel army and I have some Thunderwolves converted from the chaos knights and dark angel vet bodies. I think something like that would be what your looking for. Otherwise Iraqiel and Haskanael suggested bikes and I agree, regardless of flavor. Maybe bikes and Thunderwolves for allies. throw the 5 man hunter squad on an autocannon or simply an objective sitter. JAMOB brings up a mounted death company. Absolutely killer and fun! Not competitive but unless you are going to take this list to a tourney then who cares?
I actually tried something like this on paper... and threw it up on the Marine lists... Blood Angels with wolves for back up. I'd love some opinions.

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Well actually DC cant have bikes, I just meant take them in order to get the troops-dreadnoughts. BA have no way to take bikes as troops, unfortunately, but we can take lots of JP (though thats not what you're looking for).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts