Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we know, Black Library has its Advent shorts working their way up till Christmas. Let's have this thread to update about which new we have each day, then for those who buy and read them, can give their opion about it.

Day 1: Advent Day One - Bjorn: Lone Wolf (Horus Heresy)

"The Story: As daemons swarm across the fields of Velbayne, bringing madness and Chaos to all that they touch, Leman Russ and the Rout stand arrayed against them. Packs fight back to back, brothers protecting one another – except for one. The Lone Wolf, the warrior without a pack, stands alone. And somewhere on the battlefield is a foe against which he will have vengeance…"

Day 2! Advent Day Two - Ahriman: Hand of Dust (eBook)

"The Story: On Prospero, a solitary living soul walks across the shattered world. Beneath the ruined spires, Ahriman, exiled son of Magnus the Red and destroyer of his Legion, contemplates what once was, what is, and what may yet be. And amidst the dust of the long-lost paradise world, the sorcerer faces his mistakes and decides his destiny."

I have yet to buy any of them, but might be buying the collectively after the 8th, as we know a audio short by ADB might come then.

·
Registered
174 Posts
As we know, Black Library has its Advent shorts working their way up till Christmas. Let's have this thread to update about which new we have each day, then for those who buy and read them, can give their opion about it.

Day 1: Advent Day One - Bjorn: Lone Wolf (Horus Heresy)

"The Story: As daemons swarm across the fields of Velbayne, bringing madness and Chaos to all that they touch, Leman Russ and the Rout stand arrayed against them. Packs fight back to back, brothers protecting one another – except for one. The Lone Wolf, the warrior without a pack, stands alone. And somewhere on the battlefield is a foe against which he will have vengeance…"

Day 2! Advent Day Two - Ahriman: Hand of Dust (eBook)

"The Story: On Prospero, a solitary living soul walks across the shattered world. Beneath the ruined spires, Ahriman, exiled son of Magnus the Red and destroyer of his Legion, contemplates what once was, what is, and what may yet be. And amidst the dust of the long-lost paradise world, the sorcerer faces his mistakes and decides his destiny."

I have yet to buy any of them, but might be buying the collectively after the 8th, as we know a audio short by ADB might come then.
What does everyone think of the whole "Lords of the Space Marines" thing?
Maybe another novella on the way? Or is this going to mark a change in the series to be like the Space Marine Battles series, where we get audio, LE stuff, full novels, and short stories?

Either way, I think I am going to wait until they are all out and get the collection. It is usually a few bucks cheaper. Though I eagerly await hearing everyone's thoughts on the releases!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does everyone think of the whole "Lords of the Space Marines" thing?
Maybe another novella on the way? Or is this going to mark a change in the series to be like the Space Marine Battles series, where we get audio, LE stuff, full novels, and short stories?

Either way, I think I am going to wait until they are all out and get the collection. It is usually a few bucks cheaper. Though I eagerly await hearing everyone's thoughts on the releases!
I think it' simply a short and I think it's supposed to take place after Ahriman - Exile according to the author, but if it spans a new series I do not know.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that Mephiston release was a LE novella in the "Lords of the Space Marines" series(?). I have no idea if they are planning on keeping the series as just LE stuff with accompanying short stories, or what :p
It is explained more thouroughly in this blog-update apparently! They will focus on SM and CSM-special characters in this Advent special. My guesses is because it sells more than Fantasy overall.

Day 3! Advent Day Three - Torias Telion: The Eye of Vengeance (Not to have it confused with the audio of the same name).

The Story: As the daemon lord M’Kar and his forces assault Ultramar itself, the warriors of the Ultramarines muster for war. As the Third Company prepare to take the battle to the enemy, a threat is revealed upon Macragge itself and only the renowned sniper Torias Telion can stop the devastation that will ensue if the foe’s plan comes to fruition.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Last year's collected Advent Calendar is only available in e-format. But it wasn't a unified concept, like the Lords of the Space Marines. Which began as an actual book. Any hope we'll get an actual book this time?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just read the White Scars one about Kor'sarro Khan.
It was pretty good, though the shortness of it really bugs me, as I would have liked to have seen the story be a novella at least :p
That's the shame about shorts in general. I know many shorts last year which were really good!

Day 4! Advent Day Four - Kor'sarro Khan: Huntmaster

Story: On Gehöft, the White Scars battle the forces of Chaos, both mortal and daemonic. As plague spreads and darkness reigns, Kor’sarro Khan takes to the field, eager to take the head of the traitor responsible for the world’s corruption. But when his Dark Angels allies abandon the fight, the Khan and his bikers are forced into a deadly confrontation.

What bugs me is that Dark Angels seems to appear EVERYWHERE now a days. Don't turn them into the new Ultramarines nobody likes.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Day 5! Advent Day Five - Azrael: Protector Of Secrets

The Story: Exemeter VII has fallen into rebellion, its governor declaring independence from the Imperium and leading the world into darkness. Now the Dark Angels and their allies from the Godesian Imperial Guard have arrived to return the Emperor’s light to this forsaken planet. As Supreme Grand Master Azrael and the commander of the Godesians approach the governor’s throne room, a deadly secret will be revealed. But deadly to whom?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day 6! Advent Day Six - Kayvaan Shrike: Shadow Stalker

The Story: Golgof’s Kommandos are the best there is, the sneakiest there is. They’ll deal with the death-ghosts in the forest. That’s what Golgof has promised Warboss Skullcrak, and that’s what his boyz will do. But as their black-clad foes lure them deeper into the forest, Golgof starts to realise that his Kommandos might not be quite the sneakiest after all…

From the description it sounds like it is from the perspective of the Orks, but I could be mistaken!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just want a solid Raven Guard series like the Night Lords/Blood Angels/Ultramarines/Salamanders/Word Bearers/Soul Drinkers/Space Wolfs omnibuses. The Raven Guard just seem so under represented in the 40k, at least novel wise, that I think its about time someone non-Gav Thorpe really dug into them. An exploration of the Ravenspire, unknown Chapter Master, etc just seems like such promising territory to leave undiscovered. I'm sure its my bias / favorite legion speaking, but I would just kill to finally have a true and solid Raven Guard story to fall in love with. If only ADB wasn't so damn busy lol, maybe Rob Sanders has some open space on his schedule.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
I don't mind if the Raven Guard Chapter Master is never revealed... so long as it's because it's specifically written that his identity is unknown outside of the Chapter. I might even dig a twist like his identity being a secret known only by the Chapter's Master of the Reclusiam and/or the Chief Librarian, and by the High Lords of Terra. I would even like it if the Raven Guard, besides being masters of stealth and such, also served the High Lords as a sort of "Tier One" covert operations force... but that intrudes on Officio Assassinorum business...

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that I read 'Azrael: Protector of Secrets'. I've included in spoilers a synopsis of the story and (surprise, surprise) the issues I had with it:

On the one hand, I hope Azrael didn't know what they were getting into, because if he did... he's a dishonest sadist, pure and simple. On the other hand, if he didn't know who their target really was then we're talking about an unbelievable coincidence.

My guess? Dunn wanted to write a short story that reinforces the Dark Angels theme ("We'll do whatever we need to in order to keep our secrets!"). Nothing wrong with that. At least one of the details in this three-page story was ludicrous, though, and not enough thought was put into ensuring that the two central elements of the story supported each other.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't mind if the Raven Guard Chapter Master is never revealed... so long as it's because it's specifically written that his identity is unknown outside of the Chapter. I might even dig a twist like his identity being a secret known only by the Chapter's Master of the Reclusiam and/or the Chief Librarian, and by the High Lords of Terra. I would even like it if the Raven Guard, besides being masters of stealth and such, also served the High Lords as a sort of "Tier One" covert operations force... but that intrudes on Officio Assassinorum business...

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that I read 'Azrael: Protector of Secrets'. I've included in spoilers a synopsis of the story and (surprise, surprise) the issues I had with it:

On the one hand, I hope Azrael didn't know what they were getting into, because if he did... he's a dishonest sadist, pure and simple. On the other hand, if he didn't know who their target really was then we're talking about an unbelievable coincidence.

My guess? Dunn wanted to write a short story that reinforces the Dark Angels theme ("We'll do whatever we need to in order to keep our secrets!"). Nothing wrong with that. At least one of the details in this three-page story was ludicrous, though, and not enough thought was put into ensuring that the two central elements of the story supported each other.
That actually sounded like a solid short piece. Would you say it was good then?

Day 7! Advent Day Seven - Logan Grimnar: Defender Of Honour!

The Story: To be invited to hunt with the Great Wolf, Logan Grimnar himself, is a singular honour. So why does Turin Strongheart not feel honoured? As the pair track a deadly Fenrisian snow troll in the midst of a raging blizzard, Strongheart remembers the deed for which he is being lauded – but how much does Jarl Grimnar know about what really happened on the battlefield?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Day 8! Advent Day Eight - Khârn: The Eightfold Path (mp3)

The Story: In the fighting pits of the Conqueror, Khârn and his fellow World Eaters compete in ever-bloodier contests of carnage and mayhem. As the Butcher’s Nails dig ever deeper into their brains, the Legion have forsaken the Crimson Path. Now they walk a darker, more dangerous road: the Eightfold Path.

To be quite honest, I would have expected ADB to write this and not Anthony. But then again, he did make Khârn in the 40 audio drama as well.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
Forkmaster,

I didn't enjoy it for the reasons above. To clarify:

So, yeah, I was disappointed. It could have been a very solid short story. :(

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I've just listened to Khârn: The Eightfold Path. For it's relatively short length (roughly 13 minutes) it was actually pretty enjoyable. A good insight into Khârn's mindset post-Betrayer. Expect no deep plot development, but it's a nice supplementary addition to the saga of the World Eaters.

This is why I just stick to the Heresy series and AD-B's work. :wink:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forkmaster,

I won't be buying it then! But thanks for clearing it out!

I've just listened to Khârn: The Eightfold Path. For it's relatively short length (roughly 13 minutes) it was actually pretty enjoyable. A good insight into Khârn's mindset post-Betrayer. Expect no deep plot development, but it's a nice supplementary addition to the saga of the World Eaters.

This is why I just stick to the Heresy series and AD-B's work. :wink:
Less and less I am drawn to 40k crap! I think they should focus on actual quality rather than pumping out shit for the sake of promoting something new.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Day 9! Advent Day Nine - Astorath The Grim: Redeemer of the Lost

The Story: Amongst the brotherhood of the sons of Sanguinius, there is one who stands apart. A figure of dread and awe, an executioner in aspect and role, Astorath exists for a singular purpose – to bring death to those of the Blood Angels and their successors whom the Black Rage has claimed. And now he goes to perform his bloody duty…

It feels like CZ Dunn is the new, less good writer-version of Gav Thorpe, and Andy the new James Swallow when it comes to picking your favorite Chapters to write about.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Forkmaster,

Totally agree... read it and was kind of annoyed by it, seemed like he (the author) learned on sunday afternoon that the deadline for the short was monday and just knocked something together...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Day 5! Advent Day Five - Azrael: Protector Of Secrets

The Story: Exemeter VII has fallen into rebellion, its governor declaring independence from the Imperium and leading the world into darkness. Now the Dark Angels and their allies from the Godesian Imperial Guard have arrived to return the Emperor’s light to this forsaken planet. As Supreme Grand Master Azrael and the commander of the Godesians approach the governor’s throne room, a deadly secret will be revealed. But deadly to whom?
Got this one since it coincides with the White Scars short, didn't really like it since it was a generic Dark Angels piece and they are kinda boring for me.

Day 6! Advent Day Six - Kayvaan Shrike: Shadow Stalker

The Story: Golgof’s Kommandos are the best there is, the sneakiest there is. They’ll deal with the death-ghosts in the forest. That’s what Golgof has promised Warboss Skullcrak, and that’s what his boyz will do. But as their black-clad foes lure them deeper into the forest, Golgof starts to realise that his Kommandos might not be quite the sneakiest after all…

From the description it sounds like it is from the perspective of the Orks, but I could be mistaken!
Loved this one, Shrike is awesome. Though my only problem is that the orks didn't speak in "ork speak" which I was looking forward to

That actually sounded like a solid short piece. Would you say it was good then?

Day 7! Advent Day Seven - Logan Grimnar: Defender Of Honour!

The Story: To be invited to hunt with the Great Wolf, Logan Grimnar himself, is a singular honour. So why does Turin Strongheart not feel honoured? As the pair track a deadly Fenrisian snow troll in the midst of a raging blizzard, Strongheart remembers the deed for which he is being lauded – but how much does Jarl Grimnar know about what really happened on the battlefield?
I really like Scott's portrayal of the Space Wolves, even though it was really short. Quite good.

The Typhus short story was amazing. I really, really want to see more of him. Specifically in David Annandale's hands.
Reading the Lysander short now.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts