Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got wondering what with all the talk of 'what if' starter sets...

What if GW did an advanced box set? I'm thinking you'd get something similar to the starter set, but with more advanced armies and rulebooks.

Soo for instance, you could get Grey Knights vs Chaos Demons. You'd get something like some of the more complicated special models maybe the Apocalypse rulesets and then an advanced tactical and painting guides.. or something along those line.

I'm basically thinking of a 'starters set' but for people who've been already playing a while.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I don't think GW would see the point, players who have been playing for a long time are not GW's target market, so why cater to them and satisfy them?

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
As stella has said that isnt the market GW aim for, people who are veterans can simply buy the normal kits at full price. The starter sets are designed as bait for new players to get them into the game and the stores.
But if i had my choice of veteran starter sets i would like to see the return of the £100 army box but one with only infantry and the other with only vehicles.
And developed in such a way that by buying both you could field a legit useful army of about 1500-2000 for each army in 40k.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
130 Posts
it would definately be good if they sold the battleforce box sets fro each army, no characters but a playable plastic force. That would be ace imo but what stella said about the starter sets is pretty valid.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was pondering it as alot of people buy the new starter sets when the next edition comes along to get the mini-rulebook, or to boost their force cheaply if they're a marine or other force in starter box collector... Or, they don't buy it as they don't want to have models for an army they don't play.

Thinking about it... Perhaps the full army box for £100, with a set of the new rules would be a better 'Advanced box' idea.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
GW has done "advanced" sets before, usually they are linked to the larger Apoc formations.

They've done a Tau Rapid Insertion Force, and similar formations.

They've also done larger starter sets for SM and CSM armies, that were $250 and contained things like Land Raiders and Preds. They were really just a basic 1500 point army all in one go. Then there was the big boy the "Spear of Sicarius," anyone remember that one? It was $1500 or something, just a full company of Marines with support.

I would guess enough people didn't buy the bigger boxed sets and thats why they killed them off. Though I wouldn't mind seeing some of the apoc formations available again in limited supply for the holidays.

I think the idea of other "Starter" Sets are too risky of a step for GW to take, as certain armies are very difficult to play and it would wind up turning off possible players who picked up the DE vs Deamons set. It's not really worth the risk for GW to do it.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
I would guess enough people didn't buy the bigger boxed sets and thats why they killed them off. Though I wouldn't mind seeing some of the apoc formations available again in limited supply for the holidays.

actually its the complete opposite, the large box sets sold very well as did the apocalypse formation box sets, problem is they save people money so GW made sure they were limted in number. IF people can buy things for a long time at a reduced cost then the perceived value drops in the buyers eyes, this is why they dropped all the ebay indie sellers who were basically cutting each others throat to pull in customers, lol i remember some had not done there maths correctly and were actually selling at a loss because they had not taken into account charge backs and the various ebay/paypal fees.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
actually its the complete opposite, the large box sets sold very well as did the apocalypse formation box sets, problem is they save people money so GW made sure they were limted in number. IF people can buy things for a long time at a reduced cost then the perceived value drops in the buyers eyes, this is why they dropped all the ebay indie sellers who were basically cutting each others throat to pull in customers, lol i remember some had not done there maths correctly and were actually selling at a loss because they had not taken into account charge backs and the various ebay/paypal fees.
WOW :shok:
Thats just crazy on GW's part. Not the drop in preceived value issue but killing them off entirely. If they sold so well, and most were direct only if I remember right, I would simply put them at retail price and sell them only for the holiday months to make a killing. You get people, mostly parents, to their site and you make a killing in big ticket items.

Crazy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts