Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody, I'm going to adepticon in a couple weeks to compete in both the combat patrol and champs with my IG and I am split between a couple of choices.
Here is the list:

CCS, Creed, Astro, autocannon

Platoon
PCS, Al'rahem, 4 meltas, Melta Bombs, Chimera (heavy flamer hull)
Troops, 1 melta, Chimera (HF hull) x 4

Vets, 3 meltas, autocannon

Vets, 3 meltas, autocannon

Vendetta

Leman Russ Demolisher

Manticore

Sly Marbo

Devil Dog, Multimelta hull x2

This comes out to 1850 pts. I added the melta bombs on the PCS because I had an extra 5 pts and he will be in close anyways. Essentially the entire platoon comes in turn two alongside the demolisher (from Creed) and they cause major death. Vendetta comes in and shoots, Marbo does his stuff, and the devil dogs will be in range to hurt other tanks or tough units. The meltas on the vets are to kill drop pod marines and other such buttholes when they come in. The Heavy flamers on the Chimeras rock it out because they are close by turn two and 5 heavy flamers pile up wounds nice, even if you are a marine.

Now, I have a few questions. Should I get rid of the devil dogs and add an Executioner tank and just shoot down range with it at enemy units? Or should I get rid of the Manticore and add another demolisher that outflanks?

If I add another Demolisher, it seems a bit overkill with two demo pie plates hitting one unit. If I get rid of the devil dogs, i lose a lot of support and killing ability for my outflanking attack force, but I know that the plasma executioner is reliable and I have had pretty good success with it. I'm torn between good units.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I agree that you should drop the devil dogs and manticore. I think you park an exicutioner or two on your back line. Another demolisher wouldnt be bad, but a regular leman russ babysitting the deploymeny zone would make for a good anti marine unit. Question, why melta guns on the vets over plasma guns if your worried about marines?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have horrrrible luck with getting hot and honestly I don't have the models right now to go that route. I have maybe 2 plasma guns on hand and this tourny is full WYSIWYG. I just don't have enough time to make more. And I can destroy the drop pods if I need to pretty quickly with the meltas. Mostly because they are cheap and don't have the models hah. But ya, I will prolly get rid of the Devils, add a plasma tank and then see what I can do about the manticore. I might keep it because with my outflanking army, the manticore should be able to fire all 4 of its missiles with the other force distracting the enemy. I just don't like shooting 2 demo blasts at one target. Usually overkill

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I updated the list a bit.

CCS, Creed, Astropath, Autocannon

Platoon (same)

Vets, autocannon, flamer

Vets, autocannon

Vendetta

Demolisher

Executioner, Plasma Sponsons

Manticore

Marbo

Aegis, Quadgun

I got rid of the devil dogs and added the plasma tank. I can always decide to outflank the plasma tank instead of the demolisher based off of the army I am facing. If facing marines, I'll outflank the executioner. If facing multi wound or tougher vehicles, I'll outflank the demo.

I got rid of the meltas and added an aegis line with a quad gun to make my main "base" more survivable and the extra anti air/light vehicle is an added bonus. I had 5 points left over so I put a random flamer in with the vets since I realized that I can't give Al rahem melta bombs. The aegis line will help if I am screwed over on cover saves. Guaranteed cover is always worth 50 pts.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would recommend changing the plasma sponsons to Multi-meltas or heavy bolters if able, saves points and there is no possibility of killing yourself by trying to shoot

Other than that looks like a nasty army to face

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used the plasma tank in about most of my games since 5th ed and when they added the get's hot rule for 6th, I've had it glance my tank about 4 times in all of my games. Besides, where would I put the extra 10 or 20 pts? Putting meltas on the plasma tank mixes roles for the tank which makes it less effective as well. Like mixing guns in a heavy weapon squad.

Thanks for the input tho. I just can't see myself using the executioner for tank hunting

·
Registered
223 Posts
SWS with flamers and dem. charge in vendetta?
why are you mixing vets with a mob and how big is this mob of yorn?
Im just curious what Creed brings that makes him worth the points I know what the desert dude does.
I like the list it seems to lack focus to me or maybe Im just to pan headed to see it. Could you explain how it works.
I have been running a single manticore for awhile now and I have decided it is like every thing else the guard does bring at least 2 or none.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vets and creed sit behind the aegis with the executioner and manticore as a sort of fire base/objective holder. On turn two, everything in reserve comes in on a 2+ (astropath) and suddenly the enemy has 5 transports filled with scoring units, all with meltas alongside a demolisher, marbo (for those tough to kill units), and a vendetta. All during this time, the firebase is firing away with artillery, plasma, and autocannons at enemies that I can't reach with my meltas or demolisher.

Creed is great because he can give any unit in the codex the scout USR, thus making it possible to outflank a squad of demolishers, a baneblade, or even a warhound titan. Creed alongside Al rahem allows a significant force that would normally be forced to drive across the map, appear right next to the enemy within melta range. 90 pts hurts, but having a demolisher shooting alongside a melta attack force on turn two is what kills half of an army outweighs the negatives a bit. And I can decide what I want to ouutflank at the start of the game, so it gives some versatility as well.

The vets are there because I like their BS4 autocannons, I don't have to share room with tons of troops, and I don't have anymore sergeants painted up to field anymore units...That's the main reason haha

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took my list to adepticon and I did alright. I did great in combat patrols, but that was with a different list. Unfortunately this list is very anti vehicle and in all 4 of my games combined there were only 3 vehicles....and all of the armies were space marines which is probably the worst match up for this army. I won one game out of 4, but two of those games that I lost we were tied on primary and it had to come down to kill points. as a guard player you know I lost more kill points than a marine player haha

ah well, I had a great time and I recommend that everyone go if they ever have a chance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts