Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello, Erika reporting for...anyways, well a few months ago i started playing Dawn of War and I must say, I LOVE IT!!! I started googling it and found out about the table top game...I don't get out much heh, well I nearly fainted, As you can probablly tell I'm all about the sisters, I have the main and the Sisters codex on order, from what I've seen I think a 1500 points would be a good start, if you guys have any tips or hints I would really appreciate it

I dunno I guess Appreci was hungry *facepalm*

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hello Soul Sister!

Welcome to Heresy Online fellow heretic!

There is plenty of inspiration with top-notch help and advice here, from painting and modeling to gaming tips and army builds

Its a great place to be!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Oh lordy...

I'm not sure which Sisters codex you have on order, but I have bad news for you.

Some months ago, the dead-tree codex (Codex: Witchhunters) was made obsolete by a 'replacement' codex, Codex: Sisters of Battle which was published in two parts in White Dwarf magazine.

That White Dwarf codex is

a) Pretty damned bad.
b) Not legally available anywhere.

Unless you happened to buy the two relevent issues of the magazine, you can no longer (legally) get the current Sisters codex.

Now - some people (and I am one) are still using the officially obsolete Codex: Witchhunters. If that's the one you ordered, good - it's still very useable, albeit full of Inquisition rubbish as well as out beloved Battle Sisters.

Which brings me on to the Sisters of Battle, at the start of 2010 (no, really, 2010) Games Workshop discontinued all Sisters box sets and made the models only available in sings and three-packs, online-only.

That makes Sisters by far the most expensive army in the game, and by a huge margin. They are also the only all-metal army. No plastic Sisters exist.

Unless you are a millionaire or find a complete army for sale on ebay you really cannot start playing Sisters now. A single basic Sister squad will cost you over £50.

When I totalled up my 2'500 point army for insurance purposes the result was that, if I had to replace it at current prices it'd cost over £700.

I wish I had some good news for you, but I don't.

It's been over two years since Sisters boxes were available, there is no sign of a new release or a real codex (or even a reissue of the magazine codex). No-one expects anything Sisters related to appear before 2014 or so at-best.

Your best bet is to get a copy of Codex: Witchhunters (perhaps the one you have on order) and then scour ebay for someone selling a complete army. You have a fairly good chance of finding one because, frankly, a lot of Sisters players are selling their armies in disgust at the shoddy way Games Workshop have treated us.

Welcome aboard, Sister...

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Keep the faith Erika, and learn how to convert Dark Eldar to SoB !

Welcome by the way

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
First and foremost welcome to the boards!!!

I, like Azezel, mourn the death of the SoB. They have been left behind, seemingly to rot in the unknown wastes of a basement store room at GW. For those of us with rather large armies (I think I have about 7500 points of Witchhunter goodness) the most we can do is stare longingly at the huge pile of models that will rarely see the light of day.

That being said, if you have been able to get a hold of the old 3rd edition Witchhunters Codex, it is still a lot of fun to play and if you have decent gaming buddies, I count myself fortunate in that regard, they will still let you play that edition of the codex that is still very playable. I am not sure what prices are like on ebay, but as Azezel said you are going to shell out a HUGE amount of cash if you are going to buy from GW.

I wish you luck in your endeavor and there are plenty of folks out there that will be able to help you out with list building and the like when and if you get started.

As a side note, I believe that I have a set of the WD codex that I would be willing to sell off for cheap if you are deadset on playing the official list.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
If you get lucky you might be able to find an army on sale on online website (like ebay). That being said, you could always start a guard army and ally sisters in (which would be a far cheaper investment).

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Greetings! Compared to most of the other Sisters players I haven't been collecting/playing them long, but if you can find a good deal on them (or have the lack of common sense I did and get them all new (though as a bonus I have all the backpacks to mine still thanks to this!)) they can be a insteresting and challenging army to play.

And while the newer (and impossible to find legally) codex is more limited, there are parts that still work better than people give them credit for. I'm still going through it all in context of the new rules (a lot to assimilate in terms of changes) but despite a couple of key issues (for example: a lack of Skyfire that can be mitigated through allies and Fortifications) they're not a horrible army, though they lack some of the punch they had an edition ago.

If you're looking for a fun army, they'll do nicely. If you have an interest in competetive play or want to have a stronger starting army for the new edition you may want to look at one of the other 5th Edition codexes and wait for the Sister to get their eventual actual update.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts