Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I felt like tackling the old Drop Pod rules and giving them an update for the current edition.

The old rules from Citadel Journal 49 for the curious:

First up is the easy one, updating the Dominica Pattern Drop Pod:

I actually went with the heavy weapon options as upgrades because they fit well into the army as a whole and they help cement the idea that this drop pod isn't just a carbon copy of the Space Marine one.

The Deathwind Drop Pod:

I was considering a missile launcher option but then it begins to look like the Space Marine Death Strike missile launcher.

I went with the Servitor firing stuff because it fits the setting and by making them TL, they're effectively BS3 while maintaining the feeling that Servitors are shooting (they're just shooting a lot).

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
They look ok to me :so_happy:

I'd be happy to use them Z :)

·
8,723 Posts
Glad to hear. I'm going to tighten up the rules and the way their worded when I get a chance tonight. Make the Drop Pod rules read correctly and all that.
Ace :)

I'll be in the loft rummaging this weekend! :so_happy:

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here we go. The original post both revamped and tweaked:

So I felt like tackling the old Drop Pod rules and giving them an update for the current edition.

The old rules from Citadel Journal 49 for the curious:

First up is the easy one, updating the Dominica Pattern Drop Pod:

I actually went with the heavy weapon options as upgrades because they fit well into the army as a whole and they help cement the idea that this drop pod isn't just a carbon copy of the Space Marine one.

The Deathwind Drop Pod:

I was considering a missile launcher option but then it begins to look like the Space Marine Death Strike missile launcher.

I went with the Servitor firing stuff because it fits the setting and by making them TL, they're effectively BS3 while maintaining the feeling that Servitors are shooting (they're just shooting a lot).

So what's everyone think?

As before weapon upgrades are subject to change pricing depending on the new codex, they're just based on current codex costs.

·
8,723 Posts
The Deathwind looks like a whole bunch of fun :so_happy:

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. I'd love to drop in that 130 point Melta-Pod into a parking lot while having a large sadistic grin.

Only downside is the first turn it snap-fires (Deep Striking vehicles count as Flat Out), which is one of the large reasons it's TL.

·
8,723 Posts
I agree. I'd love to drop in that 130 point Melta-Pod into a parking lot while having a large sadistic grin.
Evil, evil man. :laugh:

I like it :so_happy:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Heh. Not to spoil the fun, but I'm pretty sure that anything with 5 HBs or MMs rightfully belongs in the Heavy Support section.

My first reaction to the normal one is "maybe we can make HF Retributors viable that way" but... I really don't think it would work out. It depends on enemy army makeup to start with, and though you could land in between blobs and kill (most of) one, it's unlikely to kill it's points. And it seems unlikely to get a second shot :) Would disrupt things rather well though.

·
Bruva I am hit!
582 Posts
Would it be possible to write up a Lucius-Pattern Drop Pod equivalent for Penitent Engines? I hear Penitent Engines aren't the hottest items on the SoB list right now, but I still think it could be pretty cool. Just curious!

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heh. Not to spoil the fun, but I'm pretty sure that anything with 5 HBs or MMs rightfully belongs in the Heavy Support section.
I disagree mostly because I see it a something that fits in the FA slot more on theme (slams into the ground, opens fire and then likely dies, if it wasn't killed by Interceptor on the way in).

My first reaction to the normal one is "maybe we can make HF Retributors viable that way" but... I really don't think it would work out. It depends on enemy army makeup to start with, and though you could land in between blobs and kill (most of) one, it's unlikely to kill it's points. And it seems unlikely to get a second shot :) Would disrupt things rather well though.
I agree it's very situational, but a lot of things are in this game. I just wanted to breath some life into those old rules and make it something fun.

Would it be possible to write up a Lucius-Pattern Drop Pod equivalent for Penitent Engines? I hear Penitent Engines aren't the hottest items on the SoB list right now, but I still think it could be pretty cool. Just curious!
The Lucius isn't really all that impressive anymore. Now it's a Drop Pod that you don't have to disembark from the turn you land. :/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts