Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been thinking about making a small iron hands army to give me some variety in what schemes i paint, and struck upon an idea. with all their upgraded vehicles, would it be at all reasonable to have an iron hands army using the BA codex? to solve the problem of why there are DC in an iron hands army, i could say that something when wrong with all the bionics shoved into them, and they went insane; aka death company.

Is there a codex I could use other than BA to represent them? i want some variety from the nilla marines, but to still be able to interchange some models between the two armies to keep costs down.

Or is it now time for something completely different from marines? I might be able to built up an army in a tale of # gamers-esque style but the army would expand rather slowly. I am open to suggestions, and will probably be making a project log to document my progress (and to keep me motivated)

·
Super Moderator
8,559 Posts
...would it be at all reasonable to have an iron hands army using the BA codex? to solve the problem of why there are DC in an iron hands army, i could say that something when wrong with all the bionics shoved into them, and they went insane; aka death company.....
Good fluffy reason there.

I would have no problem with facing such an army.

Is there a codex I could use other than BA to represent them? i want some variety from the nilla marines, but to still be able to interchange some models between the two armies to keep costs down.
You could re-fluff Chaos Space Marines: Berserkers already have a head full of wires, Thousand Sons could be slower but more protected by extreme bionic alteration instead of magic, &c.

Or is it now time for something completely different from marines? I might be able to built up an army in a tale of # gamers-esque style but the army would expand rather slowly. I am open to suggestions, and will probably be making a project log to document my progress (and to keep me motivated)
Depend on why you want the change: if you are bored with painting a particular colour then a new chapter would work; if you are getting tired of the uniformity of marine models a completely new army might be better.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, i'm not sure really. I could make an iron hands army from spare units I guess, and your suggestion to use the CSM codex sounds really fun to convert, as well as being competitive, although it may be healthy for me to go for an army that isnt SPESS MAHREENS in any form. What armies out there are relatively small while still being competitive and not too harsh on the wallet. TBH, any army that has a mid-low model count so each model could be made to be unique from the rest, this may be my best bet as it will give me several things to try. any suggestions?

·
Registered
825 Posts
What armies out there are relatively small while still being competitive and not too harsh on the wallet. TBH, any army that has a mid-low model count so each model could be made to be unique from the rest, this may be my best bet as it will give me several things to try. any suggestions?
Tau

Nidzilla still viable? Kinda skipped the new 'nid book.

Mechanised Guard

Necrons warrior/destroyer/monolith spam - all plastic

Tau would be my choice if I had to go for one of those.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was thinking, each of the battlesuits could be customised for variety, but i also like the idea of iron hands as CSM (as far as i am aware, CSM are more competitive than tau? + I admit, i'm used to having 3+ saves across the board:nono:).

Either I go for something completely out of the norm in the form of iron hands (would be good as i have some unpainted iron hands conversions), or tau to go for something completely different (not sure how to convert battlesuits though, so there would be a learning curve in constructing the army as well as actually playing). any opinions?

also, i'm still open to other ideas, these are in no way the final 2 options that i will choose between (a 40k army is no small investment of time or money), and i want to find something that really appeals to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts