Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,

While going through the new Ork Codex and starting to update my army lists, it occurred to me I may have been adding my points up incorrectly and I would like your help to clarify, even it seems like a stupid question.

I won't label the points for obvious reasons.

Example :

I have 30 Ork Boyz equipped with Shootas and have three Boyz replace their Shootas with Heavy Shootas.

When I added these points up, I pay for the points of 30 Ork Boyz, then do I add the points for 30 Shootas or 27 to the total since three have Big Shootas that cost differently?

In addition to that question, if I were to upgrade 1 of the 30 Ork Boyz to be a Boss Nob does the calculating go down to 26 Shootas since the Nob Boss gets a Shoota for free?

I hope that makes sense...

I really hope I haven't been doing this wrong... and thank you for the help.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Looks like you've been over pointing buddy, only pay for what you've got unless it specifically says something like you can upgrade a shooter to a big shooter. So in this case you'd pay for 26 shooters, one boss nob and three big shooters

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I don't play orcs, so I'll use a Space Marine squad for an example.
(points are made up just to make it clear)

SM squad X10 100pts
9 with bolters (90pts)
1 with SS/TH 50pts=total 60pts. (10 for the trooper and 50pts for the upgrade)
Total cost: 150pts

Unless you buy an upgrade, it is ONLY EVER the base cost. So in the example above, every SM trooper is 10pts, including the one with the upgrade. Then buying the upgrade takes you above the base cost for an extra 50pts.
Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Loki, that's kind of a bad example. Since Marines don't have per model add-ons on most of their units.
Dark, you should only be paying points for what you actually get so don't buy Shootas for models that get other upgrades. Only if a model must swap out a weapon to get the upgrade.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Technicality one here... the rules in the Ork book actually say
"The entire mob may replace their sluggas with shootas... Xpts/model"
then further down says
"...may replace their ranged weapon with one of the following:"

Unlike with say Cultists that says
"Any Cultist may exchange his autopistol for an autogun... Xpts/model"
Then further down says
"...may replace his autopistol with one of the following:"

So looks like you have to pay to upgrade the entire mob of orcs only to then replace that upgrade (as the slugga is an all or nothing switch) with a different upgrade... How great are the rules writers for GW :p

·
Registered
773 Posts
The trouble with battlescribe and ones like that is it is down to the person who programmed it to have got the points right :)
Normally they are but I have played against a couple of people who have used BS and then on reviewing their list after a game found they had either over or undercharged themselves. Or in a few cases taken options that they shouldn't have been able to take.

·
Registered
807 Posts
You can take upgrades in any Order that you wish. So get those Big Shootas first. Then replace all your sluggas with Shootas. The 3 with Big Shootas don't actually have Sluggas so they can't replace them and don't have to pay the points.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts