Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
It might just be from how little I like the Word Bearers and Pre-Istvaan Lorgar in general, it's no co-incidence that the parts I enjoyed most were those that involved the Custodes and Corax.
Though I adore the Word Bearers and would gladly join them, if they were real, in a heartbeat, I agree Lorgar before the Heresy is kind of a joke. For lack of a better term, he's a huge pussy. It took him to gain Demonhood to actually become the Lorgar most people enjoy reading about.

On the other hand, some could argue that Gullimen is the same way. It took his world to get sacked and his brothers to turn for hi, to grow a pair and stand up to his fellow loyalist brothers. Like the Lion for example. In Unremembered Empire, he kind of "comes out of his shell". So to speak.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
I'll agree it got worse as it went on. The war sage areas in particular. But not to awful levels anyway.
Don't get me wrong, I liked most of the bits its just the revelation

kind of irked me.

Talos mindset felt like an issue in the later books if I'm being completely honest. He starts off as a jaded warrior clinging to the past, and never stops. It works, up until a point in Blood Reaver, to me, because his position and situation changes.

I think it is absolutely right and proper to have different opinions. The world would be a very boring place if we all liked exactly the same thing.

For me Abnett is by far the best author BL have ever had writing for them. However, even he has his faults, mostly rushed conclusions. Many of Abnetts books read as though they need another 100 pages
For me, this is very apparent in Titanicus. I think I got to the last fifteen or twenty pages, stopped, and wondered if my book was missing a few chapters because we were in the middle of a lot of stuff.

But that is, sometimes, also the mark of a great author. Your not only left wanting more but you can see that the author may have intended for there to be more but had to stop him/herself in order to keep you wanting more in a good way.

Rob Sanders is also pretty solid but as I HATED Atlas Infernal (like really really hated) he drops down.
Really? I loved Atlas Infernal, probably gonna reread it after my current two books. What did you dislike about it?

I agree Lorgar before the Heresy is kind of a joke. For lack of a better term, he's a huge pussy. It took him to gain Demonhood to actually become the Lorgar most people enjoy reading about.
I think thats a bit unfair. While Lorgar following the dropsite massacre is clearly more powerful than before it, I think that genuinely boils down to his conviction and purpose.

Remember that after Lorgar was openly chastised by the Emperor in front of Guilliman, the Ultramarines, and his own sons, for worshipping the Emperor like a god, he was unsure of his purpose. It wasn't until he learned of the pantheon that he gained some sort of purpose, and then only after nearly being killed by Corax and going through trials that he gained the conviction to see his new ideals through (something that pre and during the massacre he lacked.)

On the other hand, some could argue that Gullimen is the same way. It took his world to get sacked and his brothers to turn for hi, to grow a pair and stand up to his fellow loyalist brothers. Like the Lion for example. In Unremembered Empire, he kind of "comes out of his shell". So to speak.
I think your missing the mark here with Guilliman; he was essentially raised as a warrior politician. So while he understood war and battles, he also knew how to cater himself, a bit, to the personalities of others. He tried to be sympathetic or brotherly to some of his fellow primarchs (attempting to stay on good terms with Lorgar before Calth, mocking Alpharius in the manner an older brother might a younger sibling, I've done that to my own brother to get him to do even better.)

In Betrayer and Unremembered Empire what we are seeing is not Guilliman coming out of his shell, but instead the politician mask falling off at times when the warrior side wants revenge. (He's definitely most clear about this in Betrayer to Lorgar.)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Really? I loved Atlas Infernal, probably gonna reread it after my current two books. What did you dislike about it?
Hmmm well just in case there is anyone on these forums who have not read it I will spoiler tag it. Also going to cross post/paraphrase what I said at the time I read it on thebolthole.org

41 - 44 of 44 Posts