Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the lack of recent work by ADB does anyone else think he may have realized that he has out grown the Black Library. He is without doubt the best author they have and could earn proper money writing for himself. I think the only reason he stayed with black library this long is because he is such a fan of Warhammer. I hope this isn't the case as i want the final Heresy novel to be written by the best, I know Abnett and Mcneill have their fans but lets be honest ADB is the only author they have that hasn't written a bad novel and while we are at it we must admit most black library novels while enjoyable are not written well. Abnett and McNeil's while not always writing the best novels (Prospero's Burning) they are always written well but ADB seems to bring something else to the table and I think he has realized his talent and knows he has a bigger future after the Black Library.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Well he's got the Master of Mankind coming out for the Heresy series. And then there's book 2 in his Black Legion series on the works, which has been described as his 'Gaunts Ghosts'.

So no. I don't think he's done at all. But a very busy writer who I would rather see fewer high quality novels than loads of poor ones.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He may be tied into some novels he has to write but give it a couple of years and I bet my bottom dollar that will be it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would totally understand if he would try out other stuff, (I guess road to Jove is an example) I think it would make him an even better BL writer if he would try other stuff every now and then. That being said, ADB is great, and he really raised the bar, but there would be life after ADB, e.g. Chris, Guy Haley (and Sanders).

·
Registered
74 Posts
The problem with threads about specific writers and your opinions on them is that you're also saying that one is better than the others. This makes it difficult for any writer to get involved with your thread. If a thread is a little more positive then a writer may be inclined to comment!

Just sayin'

·
Registered
455 Posts
The problem with threads about specific writers and your opinions on them is that you're also saying that one is better than the others. This makes it difficult for any writer to get involved with your thread. If a thread is a little more positive then a writer may be inclined to comment!

Just sayin'

That's actually a very nice point.

As mentioned Graham McNeill and Abnett are awesome. I was sickened (in a good way) by 'Fulgrim'.
I thought James Swallow did a good job with Nemesis.
Chris Wraight should be applauded simply for making White Scars work and filling the novel with tons of tongue in cheak comments about how GW totally ignores White Scars (at least that's what I got from it)
I, personally, enjoy all the writers, whether or not one is better than another. To be honest, some of them hit the mark more reguarly than others. While I liked Nemesis, I felt that Fear to Tread was missing something (although being totally unconstructive, I couldn't say what) But as a whole, I think they do a good job.

Also, I feel that OP is a little presumptuous with his comment that ADB could earn 'proper money' elsewhere. Perhaps OP is privy to how much the writers are paid, but I'm going to guess that this is pure speculation. It's actually a little insulting to the other authors by suggesting that they're not good enough to earn 'proper money'. Of course, I'm sure that this wasn't OPs intent.

The issue, for me, is the lack of full novels and the increased focus on LE and novellas. But it looks like we're getting some full novels soon, so that addresses my issue.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I know Abnett and Mcneill have their fans but lets be honest ADB is the only author they have that hasn't written a bad novel and while we are at it we must admit most black library novels while enjoyable are not written well. Abnett and McNeil's while not always writing the best novels (Prospero's Burning) they are always written well but ADB seems to bring something else to the table and I think he has realized his talent and knows he has a bigger future after the Black Library.
What is Guardians of the Galaxy

What is Primeval

What is Mr Men

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is well known on this forum, on his twitter, and home page, as well as many other forums that ADB, takes forever to write a novel, he says so himself here and other places! On average it takes him about a year to write a single one, it took him a year to write the Ragnar novel, its taking him a year to write the Master of Mankind, it took him a little over a year to write the Talon of Horus. I think you see the pattern here. And guess what, all of this are and will be master pieces because they are ADB! He takes time and reseraches and makes these works of art that are arguably probably some of the best pieces of fiction in the 40k universe, and my personal favorite, yes he does have side projects, like the funny, horrifying, and amazing Rode to Jove series, among many other projects, so no ADB isn't backing down by any means, it just takes him a long time to write and our impatience matters not in the long run, each one is worth the wait! SO NO MORE COMPLAINING!

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I fear that the Heresy Series will have a very limited legacy in science fiction.
Yup. It's been far too drawn out. It could have been great, an epic of a series. But it's just been dragged out to death now. They should have finished it, and then added in all these limited editions to flesh out other stories etc.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree and disagree with previous statements.
Which novels do you feel are superfluous? Personally, I feel we needed a couple of side stories to explain the story as a whole. Here's what I feel about the last 32 novels.
White text means that I feel it's necessary, or brings out important enough information to justify its existence. Orange text means it's fairly useful. Red text means that it doesn't need to exist at all.
I have tried not to let my enjoyment of the novels get in the way. Some I have enjoyed, but marked red. Some I have hated, but left white.

Do you agree or disagree with my opinions?

Horus Rising - Needed
False Gods - Needed
Galaxy in Flames - Needed. The first 3 set up the entire saga. They explain Horus' fall.
The Flight of the Eisenstein - Doesn't really add much. Just finishes off a few tail ends of GiF
Fulgrim - A great novel. Explains how Fulgrim fell.
Descent of Angels - Sets up the Dark Angels
Legion - Explains why the Alpha Legion turned.
Battle for the Abyss - Could live without it.
Mechanicum - Explains why Mars turned.
Tales of Heresy - Anthology. Take it or leave it.
Fallen Angels - Only the second half matters. Explains Luther's actions.
A Thousand Sons - Needed. Explains why Thousand Sons turn.
Nemisis - Not needed, but I damn well enjoyed it.
The First Heretic - Explains Lorgar's motivation.
Prospero Burns - Partially a retelling of TS, but it fleshes out the Wolves enough to make it useful.
Age of Darkness - Anthology. Take it or leave it.
The Outcast Dead - Not needed, but adds a little to the Thunder Warriors.
Deliverance Lost - Brings in the Raven Guard, but honestly, it could have been done better.
Know No Fear - Needed. Shows why the Ultramarines got caught off guard.
The Primarchs - Anthology. Take it or leave it.
Fear to Tread - Shows us what the Blood Angels have been up to. Not great though.
Shadows and Treachery - Anthology. Take it or leave it.
Angel Exterminatus - Hello Iron Warriors.
Betrayer - Is it really necessary? Perhaps. But enjoyable none the less.
Mark of Calth - While I enjoyed the odd story, it's ultimately superfluous.
Vulcan Lives - Hello Vulcan
The Unremembered Empire - I liked the novel, but not really needed.
Scars - It took 27 novels for the White Scars to be remembered. Poor Legion. No GW love.
Vengeful Spirit - Explains how Horus can actually take on the Emperor and potentially win.
The Damnation of Pythos - Utterly pointless.
Legacies of Betrayal - Anthology. Take it or leave it.
Deathfire - Not really going anywhere with the plot. Vulcan is dead, alive, dead, alive, dead...ALIVE

·
Registered
305 Posts
I agree and disagree with previous statements.
Which novels do you feel are superfluous? Personally, I feel we needed a couple of side stories to explain the story as a whole. Here's what I feel about the last 32 novels.
White text means that I feel it's necessary, or brings out important enough information to justify its existence. Orange text means it's fairly useful. Red text means that it doesn't need to exist at all.
I have tried not to let my enjoyment of the novels get in the way. Some I have enjoyed, but marked red. Some I have hated, but left white.

Do you agree or disagree with my opinions?

Horus Rising - Needed
False Gods - Needed
Galaxy in Flames - Needed. The first 3 set up the entire saga. They explain Horus' fall.
The Flight of the Eisenstein - Doesn't really add much. Just finishes off a few tail ends of GiF
Fulgrim - A great novel. Explains how Fulgrim fell.
Descent of Angels - Sets up the Dark Angels
Legion - Explains why the Alpha Legion turned.
Battle for the Abyss - Could live without it.
Mechanicum - Explains why Mars turned.
Tales of Heresy - Anthology. Take it or leave it.
Fallen Angels - Only the second half matters. Explains Luther's actions.
A Thousand Sons - Needed. Explains why Thousand Sons turn.
Nemisis - Not needed, but I damn well enjoyed it.
The First Heretic - Explains Lorgar's motivation.
Prospero Burns - Partially a retelling of TS, but it fleshes out the Wolves enough to make it useful.
Age of Darkness - Anthology. Take it or leave it.
The Outcast Dead - Not needed, but adds a little to the Thunder Warriors.
Deliverance Lost - Brings in the Raven Guard, but honestly, it could have been done better.
Know No Fear - Needed. Shows why the Ultramarines got caught off guard.
The Primarchs - Anthology. Take it or leave it.
Fear to Tread - Shows us what the Blood Angels have been up to. Not great though.
Shadows and Treachery - Anthology. Take it or leave it.
Angel Exterminatus - Hello Iron Warriors.
Betrayer - Is it really necessary? Perhaps. But enjoyable none the less.
Mark of Calth - While I enjoyed the odd story, it's ultimately superfluous.
Vulcan Lives - Hello Vulcan
The Unremembered Empire - I liked the novel, but not really needed.
Scars - It took 27 novels for the White Scars to be remembered. Poor Legion. No GW love.
Vengeful Spirit - Explains how Horus can actually take on the Emperor and potentially win.
The Damnation of Pythos - Utterly pointless.
Legacies of Betrayal - Anthology. Take it or leave it.
Deathfire - Not really going anywhere with the plot. Vulcan is dead, alive, dead, alive, dead...ALIVE
Wow I've fallen behind a little. I've read halfway through A Thousand sons, I just wasn't feeling it so kinda dropped out. I do own nemisis though.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I really like the anthologies. If a story isn't up to much and/or doesn't do much for the greater plot it doesn't matter because it isn't much of a commitment to read. I wish a lot of the books highlighted in red above where just short stories as part of anthologies

·
Registered
278 Posts
Of the HH I've read these are the ones of note; Age of Darkness was not all that much, Shadows of Treachery was actually decent but 'eh', Fear to Tread was a very good read imo, The Primarchs was actually the first I ever read - it gave me a good 'toes dip' into the characters detailed in the book, Betrayer was a cracking f*cking read and my absolute fav so far and introduced me to most of my fav characters tbh.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
I agree with a lot of them. Its funny because the books in the beginning were pretty good, and I was actually worried they were going to finish the series too quickly. They really didn't do a good job with setting up the events. I felt they jumped around in so many random directions and then dragged it with many, many, insignificant stories.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with most of Shady Ed's post on the books so far.

I've said before that I think the HH should have been done in a similar fashion to Game of Thrones. Each book could have been a large vast story. E.g. The first 3 books could have been one novel. I mean sure, have each section written by different writers if that helps speed it up and get more creative content written, but no series should ever be 34 books and not finished. It's too much, and prevents it being picked up by people who want to learn about the setting.

Look at Harry Potter, world famous story, 7 books.

Game of Thrones, famous series. 7 books (roughly)

HH ... 34, not finished. Not world famous.

See the pattern?

Plus with less books opportunities like live action movies become more palatable to Hollywood writers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts