Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Reasonable prices aswell i think, 320 pages around the same size as Valedor which cost £20, so an extra £5 for an LE, and £5 less for a normal edition, is kind of shocking :laugh:

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Just realised that while I was at work I accidentally ordered both the regular and limited editions... :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Got myself the LE edition, because it means I net a service stud for it and only need to get one more to qualify for a copy of Lemartes. So basically I save £20 overall by getting Skitarius 1st Edition.

LotN

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Got myself the LE edition, because it means I net a service stud for it and only need to get one more to qualify for a copy of Lemartes. So basically I save £20 overall by getting Skitarius 1st Edition.

LotN
One more stud and I‘ll qualify for my third one. :p

Edit: fuck my wallet

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Finished it. Not a terribly pleasing read. I rate it 6/10 and that is being generous, the twist at the end lifting it barely out of mediocrity.

This novel reveals the danger of putting the pov on creatures that have had nearly all emotion and personality excised from them. I found it hard to connect with any of the characters because they were so empty, to say it mildly. Emotionally stunted space marines have far more humanity than these blank clockwork creations of the mechanicus.

It really felt like that the book was nothing but a parade of product placement for the new mechanicus army, constantly bombarded with all the new terms for weapons and units. And having little else to show for it.

Edit:
The Lords of Mars trillogy is a far superior read for those interested in the mechanicum. I am glad I didnt buy this LE, wouldve felt jibbed, badly so.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
I read the free extract. I understand what you're getting at, re: clockwork characters, Brother Lucian, but it didn't bother me that much. Maybe it's because I was expecting that? As far as product placement goes, the extract made it feel far more subtle than Dark Vengeance. That is to say, I felt there was a nice look at the mentality and beliefs of the Mechanicus thrown in the dozen or so pages I got to read.

It's by Rob Sanders, and I thought Legion of the Damned was an excellent read, so I think I'll give this one a chance!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It gets much worser later on. Theres a couple early bits of good looks at the tech priests and their schemes. But the focus quickly shifts to the skitarius army alone for the remainder of the book, where it really begins to drag.

Edit: I wasnt a fan of Legion of the damned, but I found that book far more readable than Skitarius.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts