1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
++ Cult Mechanicus: Codex (2015) (Adeptus Mechanicus War Convocation) ++

++ Cult Mechanicus: Codex (2015) (Cult Mechanicus part) ++

+ HQ +

War Convocation Tech-Priest Dominus [Conversion field, Digital weapons, Infoslave Skull, Phosphor serpenta, The Scryerskull Perspicatus, Volkite blaster]

+ Troops +

War Convocation Kataphron Breachers
····Kataphron Breacher [Hydraulic claw, Torsion cannon]

War Convocation Kataphron Destroyers
····Kataphron Destroyer [Heavy grav-cannon, Phosphor blaster]

+ Heavy Support +

War Convocation Kastelan Robot Maniple
····Cybernetica Datasmith [Conversion field, Digital weapons, Infoslave Skull, Mask of the Alpha Dominus]
····Kastelan Robot [Heavy phosphor blaster, Twin-linked heavy phosphor blaster]
····Kastelan Robot [Heavy phosphor blaster, Twin-linked heavy phosphor blaster]

++ Skitarii: Codex (2015) (Skitarii part) ++

+ Formation +

War Convocation Battle Maniple
····Ironstrider Ballistarii
········Ironstrider Ballistarius [Twin-linked cognis lascannon]
········Ironstrider Ballistarius [Twin-linked cognis lascannon]
····Onager Dunecrawlers
········Onager Dunecrawler [Cognis heavy stubber, Cognis manipulator, Mindscanner probe, Neutron Laser and Cognis Heavy Stubber, Smoke launchers]
········Onager Dunecrawler [Cognis heavy stubber, Cognis manipulator, Mindscanner probe, Neutron Laser and Cognis Heavy Stubber, Smoke launchers]
····Sicarian Infiltrators [Flechette Blasters and Taser Goads, 4x Sicarian Infiltrator]
········Infiltrator Princeps [Conversion field, Digital weapons, Infoslave Skull, The Phase Taser]
····Sicarian Ruststalkers [4x Sicarian Ruststalker, Transonic razor, Chordclaw, and Mindscrambler Grenades]
········Ruststalker Princeps [Conversion field, Digital weapons, Pater Radium, Prehensile Dataspike]
····Skitarii Rangers [Omnispex, 9x Skitarii Ranger, 3x Transuranic arquebus]
········Ranger Alpha [Arc maul, Conversion field, Digital weapons, Galvanic rifle, The Skull of Elder Nikola]
····Skitarii Vanguard [Omnispex, 3x Plasma caliver, 9x Skitarii Vanguard]
········Vanguard Alpha [Arc maul, Conversion field, Digital weapons, Radium carbine, The Omniscient Mask]

++ Imperial Knights: Codex (2015) (Imperial Knights part) ++

+ Lord of War +

War Convocation Knight Crusader [ Rapid-fire Battle Cannon w/ Heavy Stubber, Heavy Stubber, Twin Icarus Autocannon]

1990 points

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Nice list there Xabre.

Tell me, what will you do to get the hordes of infantry across the table? Would you field this list on a terrain dense table only? Do you think you'll be able to handle a pair of flyers? And why the Ballistarii (Two lascannon shots with enhanced BS for three turns of the game doesn't seem like a lot of shot output)?

2000 points will see some nasty templates and/or deathstars, how would you deal with, say, Th/Ss Terminators x5 backed up with a Techmarine and their Quad gun?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortuantely I don't get a lot of options building this list, since about 60% is pre-built for me.

1. Anti-air, basically, is the Crusader's Icarus Autocannons. The Ballistarii also get BS2 snap fire, so they can help in a pinch for anti-air. I could have used the super Skyfire weaponry on the Dunecrawlers, but since I only get one squadron of them, I settled instead on using them as 'main battle tanks' by adding the yummy, yummy neutron laser and overlapping shields.

2. Hordes. Well, I do have a rapid fire battle cannon. I also have a bunch of blast weaponry from the 2 squads of Kataphrons. In a horde heavy list, I might instead go with Cognis Flamers. Might also be worth dropping one Vanguard to upgrade the Breachers to Destroyers, for even more cognis flamers.

3. Ballistarri. I've mentioned the Cognis option for the chocobots before for anti-air, but also remember that the formation also can use the Canticles, so there's another turn where it can boost shooting, so that's 4/6 turns at least, plus twin linked means they're still hitting most of the time.

4. Terminators. Grav weapons? A knight walking up and stepping on them? Plasma Breachers, plasma rifles on the vanguards, and sniper arquebuses on the Rangers. Also have the two squads of Siciarans as throw-away counter CC units.

It's not a perfect list, since it's almost as rigid as most 'Decurions', but I think it should be a nice gun line kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I've been thinking about how to employ these guys myself a bit. I've seen enough games where they get blown to tiny pieces trying to be space marines and march up or run out of bodies trying to be guard and hold ground, so I'm interested to see them perform in a more optimal manner.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, I'd be happier pretending they were Tau. Rangers are a lot of fun as a 30" gunline. I've also considered adding the Cavalier formation to some Deep Strike GK shenanigans, but this is the only time I've bothered putting anything together for a full list.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
It's nice to have a new army in the game, it is really lending an air of uncertainty to how I want to approach it. So far, I have a concept of 10 rangers with maximum sniper rifles and then 20 Vanguard in either two or four squads, with a Knight as my heavy support so far. Then, maybe Techmarine and three drop pods?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skitarii is tricky, even without the loss of an HQ, etc. The only way I'd ever play it as it's 'own army' is in a super formation like the War Convocation. I really like the feel of that one, even if I'm not a fan of the Sicaran units.

Otherwise, I'd probably try and use Dunecrawlers and Ballistarii in a mix with, say, Iron Hands walkers and a Knight?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I still want to bring a block of Vanguard, an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor w/ rad-grenades, and possibly some Dark Angel rag-grendade launchers, then pop the Pater whatchamacallit on the Vanguard, so that they are nuking an enemy unit that's at -2 or -3 T whenever they get in combat. Combine with Arc Rifles for haywire spam... mmm

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Eh, they were always the inessential element that would have a large tax of other minis. You can get a Xenos Inquisitor in a fully Skitarii force (or the like) with inexpensive relative ease, and guarantee a -2T there.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I mean to say is that if one codex starts nerfing weapons, if/when they get back to Inquisition, those will go too.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
What I mean to say is that if one codex starts nerfing weapons, if/when they get back to Inquisition, those will go too.
Well, Inquisition Rad Grenades function identically to the rad-aura or whatever it's called that Vanguard have--they're not a shooting weapon that permanently lowers an enemy unit's T. I mean, there's no guarantee that any piece of wargear will stay the same between editions, but I would be slightly more surprised than not if rad-grenades as the Ordo Xenos have them were dropped.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is me, drudging up my own army list from ages ago. With the new GW Black Friday Deals, the Skitarii Maniple is on super discount. Add in some FLGS discounts on top of that, and it's like $100 off and gives me more than half the army (plus I already have the Knight). But I relaly want to do some more fine tuning, to see what people think of this list.

A few questions:

1. Crusader? Would you go with the Dakka'ist knight of them all? Or add a giant Destroyer-stabby to the mix? I suppose the answer is based on whether he might need to fight other big mean Destroyer type things. I like the idea of being able to shoot all the things and just keep them far, far away from my army.

2. Anti-Air? Would you dedicate anything to it. Assume no meta, and a pure, all-comers kind of scenario. I plan on using Cognis lascannons, and giving the Kastellans the artifact to let them fire Cognis also. Some people suggested using the Stormspear pods instead of the Icarus on the knight, for more all effect dakka, and just depending on the BS2 snap fires.

3. Rangers. It was suggested to me to drop a few, in order to free up some points. I like them better than the Vanguard myself, treating them as a Tau gunline, really. I also rather like the Arquebuses (Arquebi?). Not a huge fan of the Vanguard, mostly because I like more range, but they seem like they could be a great delivery system for emergency Big Guy hunting, plus the plasma that doesn't get hot.

4. Dunecrawlers. Great models. Neutron Lasers are sick. wish I could find room for a 3rd to give them all 4++. Not sure where to find points. See #3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts