Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, the first version of this post was lost in the server upgrade, funny though I pasted the whole post in a txt file before submitting and never closed it, so I can repost this one exactly from yesterday.

Good evening everyone,

This is my first post here, but as I had no idea as what to write on the Introductions forum I thought I might as well start showing you my current ongoing project:

Die imperiale Stadt Petropolis.​

My ambition for this was to build a Cod gaming table that was very modular and looks, well, like a city in the 41 Milennium as I imagined it with gothic, high buildings and an interessting street layout. Which brought me to my first obstacle in planning, as it was quite a challenge to plan a street network with more than just straights incorperated in the gaming surface, without compromising the modularity. So after a bit planning I came up with a sollution that seemed to work out.

I used ~2x4ft. high density polystyrene sheets (at least I think thats what they are called, in german its: Polystyrol Platten) and drew the streets on it. After that I cut a thin layer of polystyrene to rise everything above the streets effectively generating kerbstones. On this layer I drew lines so it looks like concrete tiles and also did a bit of damage like craters and cracks.

As I wanted the streets to have a nice paved look and feel I asked at my hobby store and he supplied me with.. well, something like asphalt that you can buy ready to use. Approximately at the time this picture was taken I realised that its way better to first paint the area black where you want the street to be.

Now I realised that I really prefered a more three dimensional surface, searching for reasons why there would be holes in my city. I came up with the idea of collapsed sewers / subterran water reservoirs so I adopted my plans to incorperate such terrain features while still beeing modular, as all the collapsed areas of the board can be concealed seperately with fitting roofs.

Alright, enough talking. Have a look at the pictures and leave me comments on what you think so far. I will try to update soon with the first prototype of a ruined building I already started.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, lets have a look if I can remember what I wrote here before the server upgrade...

I definately showed my first prototype of the habitat building ruin I built. I want at least 2 rather intact ones about 5 storeys high so they can be set up quite dominant on the table.

On a comment of a nice Rep donator I replied that the idea of the combined / Cod parts building is not quite mine as I might have shamelessly stolen it form someone on a terrain forum (Here, Warseer, Terragenesis..) which I browsed the last years and saved EVERY picture I could use for later inspiration.

And for this exact same reason I want to share my planning and progress so others can use it in their projects and keep the inspiration chain intact.
There are people who can start to glue things together and it will look great. I found out for myself that I rather plan things in advance so I have a guideline when I build it later on.

WARNING: The following part will contain photos made with my mobile phone which are suboptimal, but you will get the idea.

For example these drawings out of my notebook for future use in Petropolis:

Administratum building & Adeptus Arbites station

Heldenplatz (came out of my desire to have something like a big hill in game terms but still keeping with the city theme) & Arcus triumphalis

And finally my in scale plans of the board so I could get a feeling for the size and relation of the streets, buildings and the modularity of the whole thing.

The footprint of the terrain features I have planned and 2 parts of the map

Buildings laid out on the map to check sizes:

Pictures so you can get an idea of the modularity of the main board:

Thats all for now, please let me know what you think.

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
Excellent work, I'm glad you didn't lose you entire post. I really like the sunken basement/sewer it gives your table some depth.

I also like how your combining foamboard & the plastic kits. I think I'm gonna use you idea for some Ad. Mech. factory buildings for my Desert table. I wanted to do them with the plastic kits but didn't want to buy a whole lot of them. Thank you for showing my a way to get more building for the $ (or Euro) outta them.

I really like you plan to make an Arch de Triumph. Cool idea and seems very Imperial.

Welcome to Heresy and to the Scenery sub-forum. Keep up the good work and keep up the excellent posts.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
NICE job Lord of Petropolis, i really like sewers as well.

just out of curiosity, are some areas of the "streets" gonna have craters? since in a city fight id find it weird for buildings to be blown to kingdom come but the streets are just fine since theyd look TOO perfect compared to the rest of the city. maybe im wrong though could anyone verify, one way or another, what a war zone looks like in a city?

·
Registered
344 Posts
i love the collapsed sewer idea! Would work so well for Nid holes as well. As if a Tunnel had collapsed after a few trygons came through.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NICE job Lord of Petropolis, i really like sewers as well.

just out of curiosity, are some areas of the "streets" gonna have craters? since in a city fight id find it weird for buildings to be blown to kingdom come but the streets are just fine since theyd look TOO perfect compared to the rest of the city. maybe im wrong though could anyone verify, one way or another, what a war zone looks like in a city?
I was thinking about this too and in the last 2 pictures of my first post you can see that I started to do small damage to the streets too. But I want the damage on the streets rather minimal with just small craters and sand and debris as I can always put seperate craters (like the GW ones) on the board. I also like to have the possibility to be able to play in a largely intact city district with intact buildings (And a friend already asked me if I build it in a way so we can play on it using Necromunda rules).

i love the collapsed sewer idea! Would work so well for Nid holes as well. As if a Tunnel had collapsed after a few trygons came through.
Ah, thank you, I always search for new explanations WHY my sewers have collapsed. And I particularly like fluffy ones.

Well, I hope to have new progress to show you this evening, so be sure to check back.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
dude this is awesome.
Is that a titan I see in the background?
+rep

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Is that a titan I see in the background?
Yes, but unfortunately it is only a paper mock-up I built to get some idea of the size before building it out of plastic card - which waits in my to-do line behind endless other things.

Picture warning: Today I forgot to shrink them so they are huge, use caution.

Back on topic I don´t have that much to show as I only build another prototype building - a kind of mausoleum that I will probably not use in Petropolis as I don´t think it fits too well with the other surroundings I imagined, but give me your comments on it anyways.
Additionaly I did some cosmetic damage to the third part of the gameboard, which was undamaged until then.

And if you wonder what could possibly keep me from doing more work on my city board, it is the other project of my terrain building mate and me. We want to build a board to use for his Saim-Hann army, depicting an Eldar maiden world with Eldar ruins (and a big webway portal as centre piece - see first picture). As I really like modularity (see picture two), this will also be used to represent the harsh plains north of Petropolis with its big rock formations and skeletal trees that seem just too stubborn to die.

Obviously this is only a glimpse of what the future will bring here, but expect a seperate thread when there is more to show than just naked Polysyrol.

·