Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
g'day guys

just about to start painting my army and had a few questions for you guys that are experienced in painting minatures.

i have built a fair few models boats, ships, cars etc and when i paint them i do each part before assembling them. but when i went on the GW site they say to put the model together first then paint it.
so i guess what i'm asking is that do you guys find this easier?

also do you need to paint to a clan scheme for tornament purposes or can you choose your own paint scheme and still play leagally?

and one more is it nessecary to paint IC to there color schemes or likewise can they be painted to suit your army if it is okay to use them in a tournament (see question above)?

thanks for the help
Rob

·
Dark Knight
985 Posts
g'day guys
i have built a fair few models boats, ships, cars etc and when i paint them i do each part before assembling them. but when i went on the GW site they say to put the model together first then paint it.
so i guess what i'm asking is that do you guys find this easier?
Ok this one is a bit hard in my case %90 of my army was assembled before l painted them but yea in most case its far easier to make them 1st then paint them its only with odd units will you paint them different for example http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5433/limit/recent this unit l painted all the objects in the cart before putting it all together in the end its what you find works best for you

also do you need to paint to a clan scheme for tornament purposes or can you choose your own paint scheme and still play leagally?
this depends in most cases no its only with SM who have different rules depending on what chapter they are from does it matter what scheme they are

and one more is it nessecary to paint IC to there color schemes or likewise can they be painted to suit your army if it is okay to use them in a tournament (see question above)?
same as above but in most cases no

thanks for the help
Rob
l hope that clear it all up :biggrin:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that
by the way that is a very impressive paint work on the wagon it looks great, well painted

Rob

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
You can paint your models any way you want. Period. You do not even have to paint ork skin green if you don't want to. I have seen blue orks, white orks, orange orks and black orks. Feel free to come up with as wild and creative a paint scheme as you see fit. Nothing anywhere says otherwise. Have fun.

Secondly, depending on the model, assembling them fully before painting can be bad. For example, a model that will have a rifle or weapon across its chest or shouldering a backpack. If you fully assemble it it will be hard or impossible to get behind that weapon or piece of equipment. Another example is with vehicles. If you fully assemble a tank then you will be very hard pressed to paint the interior details or you will find that it is now difficult to reach some areas that you could have gotten to if you kept them separate until after painting.
Test fit all the pieces of a model first, see what will cause interference or difficulty while painting and then formulate a plan on how to go about painting and assembling it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
cool my daughter is trying to influence my colour schemes and she is 5 so will paint a couplt o please her who knows it might work out
once again thaks guys

by the way the colours are pink and blue maybe the storm boyz??

now it's blue and purple :eek:)
women even indecisive at 5 years of age :eek:)

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
women even indecisive at 5 years of age :eek:)

It doesn't get any better as they get older trust me.

I have seen pink skinned orks and purple skinned orks so that won't be a big deal. The pink skinned ones are actually kind of nice. I have even seen human skinned orks played as WWII american marines. So the paint is totally up to you.

Most tournaments only require 3 paints on the model for it to be legal. So no you do not have to follow GW for them to be legal. In fact you will probably get more attention for not being green. Good luck and I can't wait to see them whatever color they turn out to be.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ye, I would always paint ALL parts seperate for my chaos and ultramarines. only thing is if you are using superglue the area in the joint may become white when the glue dries so you may have to repaint that area.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Most tournaments only require 3 pints on the model for it to be legal.
3 pints of paint!!! :shok:How do you manage to keep any details?:p

I'd go with whatever colour scheme feels right to you. Not a lot of people will mind if you paint marines dark blue for example and used blood angels rules for them. in fact a lot of peopleuse counts as special characters in their armies that don't even use the correct model let alone the same colour scheme. If you are doing the ork clans then you might want to hint at the predominant colours but it's not completely necisary. For example i paint speed freeks so my army is meant to be primarily red and yellow. I use red, black and white and steal a lot of colour schemes from the Goffs as well as using evil suns colours. I'm still happy with how they look and havn't had a complaint yet.

I always leave the guns off of my models, the crew off of vehicles and the roofs off of vehicles with interiors so i can get at the internal gubbins.

·