Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, hoping (against hope) that the new Strom Raven Gunship will make its second apperance in the next GK Codex, and the fact that I've started a BA army, got me thinking (very unusual situation :biggrin:) ... about the uses of this new addition.

What we have now is a fast skimmer with three weapons and some odd plating that's intended to avoid AP damage from the big guns.

Being a skimmer it'll gain a 4+ cover save against attacks, but that'll also mean that if it gets hit it'll dissapear in an very point-expensive ball of fire. The fact that it has a low armour value for its point cost is also an item to consider since a Rhino has the same armour value at pretty much 20% of the SR point cost.

Sure it's an assault vehicle and can unload its cargo at high speed, it can carry a Dread and any kind of infatry model. BUT....

Is it really worth including it in a Army? What are the chances of your SR to survive long enough to unload it's deadly cargo on the enemy? Can it be used for other purposes other than transport? A very high-point cost bomber so to say? Up until now I've not seen any SR making the tournament scene. If the SR is not as useful as it is right now, it will be a poor addition to the GK arsenal...

What are your thoughts on this matter?

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
It's AV12 all round which is not too bad. It's a tricky Beast to use but powerful if you use it right. Nothing better than moving 6" firing 4 Blood Strike Missles and Multi melta to vaporise a Hive Tyrant and Assualt Cannon to gun down some hapless other things.

It's a poor choice for BA tounry armies just now because the other choices are just much better. I would just say they are fun an shooty but not for everyone. They work in All reserve lists where you get to tonk onto the board and face stab someone before they can shoot you down. You're local meta is also important, if it's melta heavy it's great because the're short range meaning you can kite people until you drop off your cargo, it's it's lots of Krak missiles it's less good.

Aramoro

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
If you are playing a loy of wolves don't use them. 15+ S8+ attacks flying at you will put a hurtin on your grill.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I think of it as more of a mini-gunship then a skimmer. The entire point of the unit is that its a dropship, meaning it gets your units in fast, while giving them some heavy fire support.

Yes its a bullet magnet, but then who can honest say that any big tank/shooter unit isn't? If you can drop in your troops behind lines and fire off a few big guns while your at it, I don't see the problem with it.

Its fun and usefull, you've just got to play it right.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
One of the highest ranking Irish Tournament players uses 2 of them, assault terminators in each one and just blasts them up the table quickly as possible while lazerbacks give it the anti tank. it is the ultimate alpha strike for BA but very fragile. a few lucky shots and that army dies quickly. it is a hit and miss with them

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree with Lord Reevan... It's a one shot deal that you have to play right. You fly it into the field and let it get shot up by a couple lascannons and it is a gonner, but if you play it right you can make it a quite useful weapon in your arsenal. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I hear you guys, but isn't a good unit something more? I mean, the SR relies heavily on luck to be of any difference. It's so fragile, that a lascannon sneeze will blow the bjezus out of it.
Yeah you should play it right but what unit or vehicle doesn't need a fair deal of skill? If you have to deal with anti mech before deploying the SR then you'll already have the units to do it so the SR is rendered almost useless when entering play, only to remain as the "last nail of the coffin" to destroy remaining treats or deploy your badass guys.

On the other hand if you deploy it before dealing with potential threats it has a very high chance to become fireworks show for your opponent, since it won't last long. So where does it leave it? Super suicide missions or heavy support, as it's listed in the BA codex?

I really can't see it's a good vehicle and its point cost makes it less atractive than Cher in a bikini.:biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts