Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I saw that he pictures in my abandoned mine thread from ages ago had disapeared. With no way to edit them back in, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread and put them back up, along with some pictures of the new pieces I had done for this project.

But first, to perhaps refresh some memories; the buidling process of the first piece:

I use foam used for roof-isolation for most of my cliff-faces. It is slightly less dense than the green or pink foam, and thus crumbles perfectly for a rocky cliffside. As I took it for free from a gargbage bin, it is a lot cheaper as well. I use a wooden hardboard piece for most of my scenery bases. The goblin is for scale.

Here I removed the plastic ties from the model rails and replaced them with wood. I warped the end of the rails with pliers, and glued the metal to the planks with superglue. After smearing the entire piece with woodglue, I glued sand and gravel to the flat surfaces as well as the rails.

It is a cornerpiece with enough space on the elevated lower surface for some archers and/or a small war machine. As the top surface is unreachable from table level, I always rule deployment there is illegal. Flyers however, are free to perch there during gameplay and take great use of cover from the rocks on top as well as the cliffs edge. Ideal to strike from at warmachines if the piece is set up in the opponents deployment zone.

More will soon follow.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I stopped for a while due to 8th edition being terrible, only doing a few 7th and 6th edition battles with some friends, as well as preparing a ruined city board for a mordheim campaign and some other things on the side. These were going quite slowly however, but now I'm picking up speed again.
Anyway, I've found the pictures of the completed piece, painted and all. I'm not happy with the lighting in these pictures, so I'll try to make better ones for the second piece.

The colours in these pictures are lighter than they are in normal daylight.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello everyone, I've made some pictures of the second piece:

On its own, it is another cornerpiece that can be placed on any corner of the gaming table. As both flat surfaces are unreachable (with the exeption of flyers), I normaly rule deployment on this piece is forbidden. Hence it is a quite annoying, albeit nice piece of terrain, taking a chunk out of your deployment zone. (It does however, protect you somewhat from units entering play from a table edge later in the game.)
While two cornerpieces look quite nice on the table, they can also be put together to form a single piece that can be placed along a table edge:

This gives the lower ledge much more space, allowing a greater number of missile troops to stand there.
While it is certainly not a seamless fit, I think it is good enough.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
very nice piece and quite useful on the battlefield!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello again,

Here's some pictures of the first broken railway tower:

I build it using 4 square plastic rods attached to two square pieces of cardboard to have a basis. I then glued the planks to this skeleton (lot of work), and added te rails. Some matchsticks and a hardboard base later, and it was ready for painting.

Hope you like it!

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Very nice work, I love these big terrain setups. Makes games more interesting when played on them. Have some rep.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Ha, I like where this is going! What are you going to use it in? 40k? Fantasy? Bushido? Malifaux?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mainly play fantasy, and I imagine the mining site was torn down by some really annoyed giants not liking to crawl under the rails all the time. However, I also have a small (but growing) army of space Orks, and think the terrain might also be suitable for 40k. Except the rails are not blackened by soot or melted so the damage couldn't have come from explosions of melta/flamers or such. Some bastard with powerfists must have ripped it appart then.
I kept the terrain quite neutral, so I guess it wouldn't look bad on a table for any system.

I have used it in quite some fantasy battles, and they often don't add much to the battle due to them sitting in a corner or along the edge. Sometimes however, a well placed war machine or unit of missile troops standing on the ledge has been quite an annoyance. My opponent playing empire once rode a unit of 7 outriders on the ledge, and were a real pain in the butt. The upper ledge is sometimes visited by a unit of harpies seeking cover behind the rocks or the odd flying wizard here and there.
The railtower is a recent addition however, and I still have to see what its use will be.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't throw your terrain in the trash! I've got some old terrain lying around which I will repaint and it will look much better. Finished pieces can often be improved instead of replaced. Not all of them however...

Speaking of painting:

The first railtower is finished. The rust is much brighter on the pictures then it really is. I'll make some pictures of all the pieces together soon. It will probably take a while before I start on the next tower, but your support has put it higher on my list of priorities!
Thank you for the kind words!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As long as you don't literally take it from my home, Silens, I'm fine with that. :wink:

I've also started work on two new pillars between which the rails will still be connected.
The problem I'm facing however, is the space I want between the towers. I'd really like for a unit of 5 wide on 25mm bases with movement tray to fit through, but aestatically and realistically, the towers would be spaced too far appart to hold the rails up. Smaller gaps would mean the entire line of towers would become a really big hassle for broad units, as it spans roughly 20" across the table from te mountainside. I could rule the towers don't obstruct movement and remove them to let units pass, but then they won't have much influence on the battlefield.
I guess they shouldn't have much influence, as I don't think a small tower forms a great obstruction to an army on the march. Units could split and walk around them without too much difficulty.
Alas, I think the towers will be purely aestethical (which is fine!), unless any of you have suggestions?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As a Dutchman, I've a tremendous difficulty with hills. Especially converting them to tabletop scenery. While small, stepped hills are fine for 40k and other skirmish and regimentless games, for warhammer fantasy there's alway the problem of balancing your movement trays on the slopes and determining where everyone is actullay standing, if they don't just fall out of their movement tray immediately. However, I have endeavoured to build a hill with a very gentle slope. While it is not necessarily part of the abandoned mine, it is somewhat in the same style, and adds to the ruggedness of the terrain.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Lovely work, that abandoned mine concept looks great and I'd love to see a battle played out in similar terrain. That makes me want to skip forward on the project list to my skaven/necron cavern table idea...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts