Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always loved Abaddon for some reason (probably because he can absolutely dominate in CC if you can get him into a good spot), and so I wanted to try my hand at a fairly competitive 2k list with him.
I am a Death Guard player almost exclusively (although I do deviate to undivided from time to time), so the only limitation I set for myself was that I would be using Plague Marines as my main troops.

Here is the list that I've made:

Lord (MoN, black mace, Sigil, palanquin of nurgle) (in rhino with PMs)

Abbadon

Termis x5
5x combi meltas

PMs x7 (2x melta, rhino PF)

PMs x7 (2x melta, rhino PF)

PMs x7 (2x plasma PF)

Cultists x25

Cultists x25

Oblits x2

Oblits x2

Oblits x2

The last game that I played with my previous list (Death Guard horde with 50 PMs, 6 MoN Oblits, Huron, and a BBoS lord) was against tyranids, and it really made me re-think the way I build my lists. His army had 2 Tervigons, 2 Trygons, a Swarm Lord, a Flyrant, and a Doom of Malan'tai, with 2 30 man squads of termigants podding in with the doom. Needless to say, there was not enough MC killing weaponry to go around. I managed to kill a trygon and wound another trygon and a tervigon with the oblits, and shot the flyrant down with bolter fire, then finished it with the oblits, but there was still so much MC to deal with that I could not keep up with the amount of high str weapons I had available. On top of that, his Doom came in after that and killed nearly 1k points worth of PMs and Oblits (which were not even bunched very close at all). There was so much going on that nothing in my army felt like it could deal with the tyranid threat.

So, this list is my answer to that experience. I want Abaddon and his termis to DS and create a huge "deal with me now, or regret it" threat, as well as take out whatever armor and MCs/elites/troops it can get to. There are few things Abaddon can't chew up, so I think this will allow me to play the terrorist role for a change.
Aside from that, I am running more PFs than I usually do, and put the meltas in rhinos rather than footslogging as I normally lean towards, to ensure that I can get a few turns of shooting the meltas before my rhino gets busted, or I have to deal with CC. The Oblits will help whittle away at the MCs, and having PFs all around should raise my chances when the Doom of Malan'tai eventually shows up (the Oblits have not proven to be enough for that 3++ save). The cultists are also in to throw at the doom if need be. a squad of these can tie it up in combat so it can't shoot or move, while my other units find a safer place to stand, as well as the fact that losing 4 or so of them per turn is no big deal if I fail their test against the Doom's ability.

That said, I want this to also be a decent all-comers list, so feel free to poke any holes you can find. I am open to any suggestions about the build, and also about tactics. I am just starting to realise the importance of having a very good strategy, so any tactical advice is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long winded post :p

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
You might be better off taking Typhus instead of Abaddon, then having the cultists be Zombies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might be better off taking Typhus instead of Abaddon, then having the cultists be Zombies.
I had thought about that, but decided against it because of the fact that typhus gets insta-killed by any MC, and I play against a lot of them. The best he could do in that situation is throw the termi champ at the MC challenge to stall it for a turn, but would then get killed in the next round of combat when the MC can challenge him. At least with abaddon, he is expensive, but he isn't much of a gamble, and will kill anything they throw at him with a good rate of success.

Though, that said, if you know a good way to run typhus and avoid the MC issue, I could give him a shot. I am not sure if 230 points is worth FnP and fearless on the cultists if Typhus gets killed without doing anything. (Though it would definitely help to have the zombies).

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
If you play against MC's a lot.. perhaps dropping a squad of PM's and maybe even the Terminators then toss in a couple cheap squads of chosen with Melta guns. you can get 4 Meltas in a rhino that can outflank for half of what a PM squad in a rhino costs. I also say get rid of the Terminators because they have one shot each, and if they get into cc they usually flub.

If you play against a lot of MC's I would say its going to be an uphill battle regardless of how you play it. You may as well focus purely on fire power and focus on one MC at a time and hopefully with a little luck you can hold out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you play against MC's a lot.. perhaps dropping a squad of PM's and maybe even the Terminators then toss in a couple cheap squads of chosen with Melta guns. you can get 4 Meltas in a rhino that can outflank for half of what a PM squad in a rhino costs. I also say get rid of the Terminators because they have one shot each, and if they get into cc they usually flub.

If you play against a lot of MC's I would say its going to be an uphill battle regardless of how you play it. You may as well focus purely on fire power and focus on one MC at a time and hopefully with a little luck you can hold out.
That is an interesting idea, and also gives some purpose to Abaddon's |Chosen are troops" ability.
Though, the only issue that I am having is that I cannot seem to find what would give my Chosen outflanking? I have read over the rules for them and have not been able to see where that would come from.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,443 Posts
My solution to monstrous creatures is to give them a bigger monstrous creature. Almost nothing kills a fully kitted out daemon prince rolling on biomancy except a turn or two of focused skyfire shooting and you should be in combat the second turn the dp is on the board anyway.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Last codex Chosen were able to outflank, but no longer. Huron or Ahriman can infiltrate them, though that's neither here nor there, for this list, I suppose.

Against MCs, Chosen with Plasma might be more effective than Meltas. In addition, if the're within range of Abbadon's 12" bubble of Preferred Enemy, then they reroll 1s, so you'll be overheating 1/36 shots rather than 1/6 shots. A trifle expensive and no less fragile than normal marines, but they'll be dropping a MC per turn, almost guaranteed (as long as your opponent lets them live).

Warsmith: unfortunately, your Princes are the smaller of the Monstrous Creatures, and unless you roll Iron Arm (no guarantee), their being T5 means any enemy MC can Smash them to death in a phase or two.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last codex Chosen were able to outflank, but no longer. Huron or Ahriman can infiltrate them, though that's neither here nor there, for this list, I suppose.

Against MCs, Chosen with Plasma might be more effective than Meltas. In addition, if the're within range of Abbadon's 12" bubble of Preferred Enemy, then they reroll 1s, so you'll be overheating 1/36 shots rather than 1/6 shots. A trifle expensive and no less fragile than normal marines, but they'll be dropping a MC per turn, almost guaranteed (as long as your opponent lets them live).

Warsmith: unfortunately, your Princes are the smaller of the Monstrous Creatures, and unless you roll Iron Arm (no guarantee), their being T5 means any enemy MC can Smash them to death in a phase or two.
You're definitely right about the plasma, and it is unfortunate that Chosen can no longer outflank, as that would be awesome (and make their price sting a bit less).

I have revised my list quite a bit, and came up with this:

Lord (MoN, brand) (in rhino with chosen) 110

Abbadon (LR) 265

Land raider (Dirge Caster) 235

chosen x5 (5x melta, MoN, LR) 155

chosen x8 (4x plasma, MoN, rhino, Dirge Caster) 267

PMs x7 (2x plasma, rhino) 258

PMs x7 168

Cultists x25 110

Cultists x25 110

Havocs x8 (4x ML) 161

Havocs x8 (4x ML) 161

The idea now is to not rely on the randomness of DSing abaddon with termis, and instead roll him up in a Land Raider with a bunch of melta chosen. He will drive up with the LR, the LR will shoot as many las shots as it can depending on how far it moved, then the unit pops out and meltas something to death, then charges whatever is in range for abaddon to eat up. I'll then use the LR to drive around, shooting at what it can while providing Dirge Caster support for my assaults. If I can manage to kill or scare away a good amount of what is around, it can pick up whichever squad is done first and drive it over to a better spot to unload again, or onto an objective.
The plasma squad in the rhino with the lord will drive up, possibly using the other 2 vehicles as a wall, and will unload the chosen as soon as it can, shooting 10 plasma shots at something, almost definitely killing any 6 wound MC or a vehicle, and then dropping a brand template on a nearby bunch of troops etc.
I will keep the cultists in reserve to come out and pile onto my home objective(s) once my vanilla unit of plague marines likely starts to thin out a bit.
The Havocs will either shoot str 8's at whatever MCs or vehicles need to be dealt with, or start blasting some hordes if they are too much for me to keep up with.

I think this list feels a good deal more well-rounded than the original list.
Once again, poke any holes you see into it. One thing I was not sure about was the numbers of special weapons on the chosen. Some might consider 5 each to be overkill, but in my experience I often end up coming up just short of killing what I need to, so I figured I would max them out to boost my chances of taking dangerous things off the board ASAP. If it is a poor idea, I am opening to changing that up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts