Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I playtested my Air Calvary and I liked it! But I figured I'd try the Tank heavy version as well. Just to round out my experiences playing Guard before I settle on anything and start buying. I'm a Guard player now. No question about it!

My HQ squad and one squad of Veterans go into the Valks. The rest is pretty self explanitory. Shoot it til it stops twitching. Then shoot it again! Just to be sure :grin:

Company Command Squad 70 Points
- Melta (2)

Veteran Squad 90 Points
- Melta (2)

Veteran Squad 150 points
- Lascannon, Gernade Launcher
- Chimera

Veteran Squad 150 points
- Lascannon, Gernade Launcher
- Chimera

Valkyrie 130 Points
- Multiple Rocket Pods

Valkyrie 130 Points
- Multiple Rocket Pods

Leman Russ Squadron 385 Points
- Leman Russ Vanquisher
- Lascannon, Commander Pask
- Leman Russ
- Lascannon

Leman Russ Squadron 335 Points
- Leman Russ Vanquisher
- Lascannon
- Leman Russ
- Lascannon

Leman Russ Squadron 410 Points
- Leman Russ Executioner
- Lascannon, Plasma Cannon Sponsons
- Leman Russ
- Lascannon

1850/1850 Points

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I use Russes a lot, and the top 3 are the LRBT, Demolisher and Executioner, 4th been the Exterminator. If you want an effective list spam these and you'll be fine.

I don't rate Vanquishers at all really (well as far as the ones in the IG Codex go..IA ones are great though), so if this was my list I would drop the Vanq's, build your CCS/Vets to handle your anti-tank, and have your Russes handle anti-infantry.

That said, an Exterminator is good at anti-transport and is the best Russ to put Pask in..
enhances it's weapons while remaining cheap(ish).

Squadroning is the only way you'll be able to stick to your theme, but so long as you'll happy with the consequences then go for it. Me, I would rather take some HH's or BW's before squadroning, until I got to high points games (2500+).

Still, Armoured lists are cool:biggrin:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will prolly drop the 2nd Vanquisher and use a LRBT instead. Or some other variant. I just think that a BS 4 tank that is effectively S 9 with 2d6 armour pen plus a S 10 Lascannon is just too good to pass up. What does every Marine army field these days? A Raider filled with Termies. I use 3 Raiders in my World Eater army! Killing that Raider so the termies have to footslog is an opponents worse nightmare. Then the Executioner will make very short work of them.

I have just seen the inability of Lascannons to stop Raiders and it's a lil daunting to me. Needing a 6 to pen then praying that you roll good on the damage chart. That has more than once caused me to exterminate my buds Guard army with my World Eaters. Not a damn thing he could do once my Berzerkers were marauding amongst his army with every squad having a S9 Power Fist vs AV 10 rear armour and WS 5 S 5 I 5 vs regular Guardsmen. The Monolith is a whole nother nightmare. You never get an extra d6 for armour pen no matter what. I think that is where the Vanquisher with Pask will shine. :victory:

Squadroning is the only way I can get as many Russes as I want. I did think about HHs and BWs but I know how I usually kill tanks with my armies is by getting close. And those tanks just get too close for me. Plus with AV 12 on the front they wont be as hard to kill as a Russ. I'm hoping to offset squadroning the way my bud does. Which is basically pounding anything into the ground that poses a threat before it can do likewise. :p But losing a tank to an Immobilized result does suck.

The gernade launchers were just because I had a few points left over. They could just as easily become flamers. Or another meltagun.

Thanks for the advice guys. :biggrin: Making a Guard army is the most daunting thing I have ever done as far as designing an army goes. With so many units and options it easily eclipses the other codecies in complexity. And I have played/proxied just about every army out there before FINALLY settling on Guard.

I'll post my revamped list soon hopefully.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Like I said, I like Vanq's and have 2 of them...just not in my standard IG lists. I also don't just look at the tank (or any Unit really) on its own and note what it can do, but think what else can I take that will do the same job, just as or even more efficiently/cheaper, and Vets with Meltas in Chimeras do tank hunting better.

Monoliths - I never bother wasting shots at them unless I have some S10 weaponry, but just kill the Warriors..job done.

Land Raiders - Vets with Melta, Medusa w/ BB's, Manticores.

Russes usually get destroyed by rear armour assaults, so on AV10/11, so AV12 isn't that much of a weak spot in the end.

I usually leave the Executioner on its lonesome as it's expensive enough on its own. Plus the ranges on the Turret weapons aren't that compatible range-wise (36"/72"), unless you play on 4 x 4 Boards I guess.

Still, in the end we're all different..I do like your other Tanks.:grin:, and I get my Treadhead fix by playing with my Armoured Battlegroup/Armoured Company lists.

Cheers:victory:

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Hey Hobo, quick question, am I right in assuming that LR Vanquishers from the IA list can fire a standard round with the 5" blast as well as the AP round with 2D6 armor penetration, or has this changed? Sorry for hijacking your thread Uilleam, but it seemed like a relevant question.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright. Here's option 2. I'm prolly gonna try both lists but I do admit this one looks more viable. The Astropath makes it easier to get your units on when you're facing an alpha strike army and put your army in reserve. And when someone does likewise to you the Officer of the Fleet should help break up your opponents reserves rolls allowing you to decimate lil chunks of his army.

Or I could replace them both with more Melta goodness! :grin: Either way, win, win!

Company Command Squad 130 Points
- Melta (2), Officer of the Fleet, Astropath

Veteran Squad 90 Points
- Melta (2)

Veteran Squad 145 points
- Lascannon
- Chimera

Veteran Squad 145 points
- Lascannon
- Chimera

Valkyrie 130 Points
- Multiple Rocket Pods

Valkyrie 130 Points
- Multiple Rocket Pods

Leman Russ Squadron 385 Points
- Leman Russ Vanquisher
- Lascannon, Commander Pask
- Leman Russ
- Lascannon

Leman Russ Squadron 330 Points
- Leman Russ
- Lascannon
- Leman Russ
- Lascannon

Leman Russ Squadron 360 Points
- Leman Russ Demolisher
- Lascannon
- Leman Russ Demolisher
- Lascannon

1845/1850 Points

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Hey Hobo, quick question, am I right in assuming that LR Vanquishers from the IA list can fire a standard round with the 5" blast as well as the AP round with 2D6 armor penetration, or has this changed? Sorry for hijacking your thread Uilleam, but it seemed like a relevant question.
It should be as per the pdf as far as normal pick up games, but seen as IA lists are usually played amongst like-minded gamers anyway, the group I'm in use it either as it is in the original IA books, so it has the AT shells, while others go by the IA1 pdf update which brought it into line with the IG Codex..so long as the appropriate points are paid both are fine.

No doubt the usual discussions will happen whenever FW rules/units are brought up..we've all heard them a million times before:laugh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts