Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm very new to this forum, so hello. I was encouraged by another member from warseer to come over and show you what I've been making.

Its taken roughly three and a half years to build (not constantly, the odd couple hours here and there)
but its finally finished. Just gotta paint it up now! Two months to GD!

Anyway, he stands at 8" tall, and was made from a variety of materials, carved, sculpted and modelled. I will do a retrospective log of how I built it later on in the thread :)

C&C most welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Aemos

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Hey Aemos, thanks for coming on over and joining up. As I said before this is stunning, really looking forward to seeing what happens with this and where it goes.

Welcome to Heresy!

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Ooh, he is a biggun'. Could probably use him as a count as Warhound with him being that tall!

Glad you decided to show us your stuff, that's pretty frikkin sweet. Good luck at Games Day!

Also, how are you planning on painting him? Airbrush? NMM? Tiny brushes made from the hair of a rare albino mole?

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Awesome stuff, I'd definitely buy something like that just for display.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Personally, if I made that, I wouldnt want to paint it. Only because I knew my painting wouldnt do it justice! Very nice work!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh, WOW.
That's a great job you've done there.

You really should post a few pics of the WIP.
Congrats, and I'm looking forward to see that painted!
:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would be careful bringing it to gamesday since it is not 80% gamesworkshop crap. They will probly send a bunch of skinny creepy looking red shirts at you to beat you up and smash it for stealing their IP and then sue ya lol.

btw very nice

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I son't know Ogre, I remember a life size lasgun winning the open section a few years back and it certainly wasn't made of 80% GW parts!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I son't know Ogre, I remember a life size lasgun winning the open section a few years back and it certainly wasn't made of 80% GW parts!
Probly made from the 60 pounds of sprus we all collect from the hobby they charge us for :)

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Have a look at the Slayer Sword winner on the website this morning and I can't see any recognisable GW part in it.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello!
Many apologies, it has been a long while since I posted. I shall make amends by posting many times with many pictures. So, sorry for that as well!

I shall begin the retrospective blogging of how I made this beast!

The bulk of the terminator is made up from a material called Chemifoam. Its a poly-eurethane based material, fairly hard (you could dent it with your nail easily), and easy to carve. However, its quite porous, so the bulk of the work done on the model was filling and sanding!
For the Torso, i drew up a plan for front, and sides of the torso, double sided them onto a block of chemifoam so they lined up with each other on the corresponding faces of the foam, and used a band saw to cut the basic shape out. Then I essentially went at it with a big file and some sandpaper. (The yellow coloured torso pic is the torso mid sanding process)

The shoulder pads were also carved in a similar process, though it was mostly done by eye. Then, in order to get a neat 'step' for the inscriptions to be placed, I vac-formed the shoulder pads, then cut out the shape I wanted from the positive plastic shell created.

The pics of the torso in grey are when I had started to detailing section on the body. Lots of styrene, and a little bit of guitar wire helped there too, as well as some magic sculpt (essentially expensive miliput) for the book in the middle of his chest, the crux terminatus on his belt and the scroll work on the shoulder pad.

Lots of car body filler was used to filling in gaps! Its a fast cure easy sand solution to lots of little holes, and you can 'scrape' it over the model to really get it in there. Because its quite soft (compared to the foam) you'll sand it off faster so wont distort your model by sanding planes into the surfaces. (not literal aeroplanes of course...!)

I hope I've explained myself well enough, if not, ask questions and I'll answer them in my next post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, I have been doing some paint testing on spare terminator parts I have lying about. Please bear in mind these do not represent my actual painting ability, they are just test pieces which I roughed out to get the feel of the colours and the shade of metal I might go for.

This is not the actual model Im painting here, I made moulds of all the pieces I made, these are dud casts which I'm using to paint test on.

Im quite inclined to the far right shin paint test for the metal so far. However, I used the old chainmail and mithril silver citadel paints to achieve that, will need to source some more.

The Makening! Part 2

So, to continue on how I made the model -

This pic shows a plastercine boot, and the carved chemi-foam foot, with car body filler on it next to each other. I often used plastercine to rough out shapes and get the jist of scale and size against the model before committing to caving it out of foam. It helps to see the whole thing together.

The finished foot with detailing.

The shoulder pads seen in the previous post were detailed quite heavily - Grey knights have a lot of script on them, and I really really didn't want to sculpt those letters on, so I opted to go the brass etch route. Those letters are 2.5mm high, and each one had to be cut out, trimmed, and them bent (if need be) tp fit onto the curve of the shoulder pad. It all makes sense too, I had a latin phrase book next me whilst doing it! I got the brass etch from a model train store, they do a fair range of different fonts.

The bits like the hip plates, side knee protectors (proper name?) and the book on his right shoulder were made from a couple sheets of styrene glued together and brass etch letters glued on, and parchment/skulls sculpted onto them.

I thought you'd be interested in to see how the helmet evolved over time too -

There was to begin with a very basic maquette made from plastercine for scale ref. This was unfortunately destroyed in a freak dropping accident...there are also no photos...as the camera also was destroyed in said dropping accident...
But I saved the head!

From left to right - Original plastercine maquette head. Then the first sculpt, which I decided was too small and too 'snouty', and then the final incarnation of the helmet seen on the model.

Thanks for looking! Aemos

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll start with part 3 of "The Makening"

Most of the body parts were constructed by the point I started making the weapons. The weapons themselves were made froma combination of styrene, brass, chemi-wood, and steel bar.

The storm bolter, next to the magazine which fits snugly into the side of the bolters mag' housing.

The force halberd's main blade section is three sheets of 1mm styrene, the midde sandqhiched sheet is larger then the tow either side of it. The chamfer was then achieved with car body filler, filled into the recess and sanded. The fine lead wiring is 0.5 lead from a fish and tackle shop, usually used for fly tying.
The shaft was 4mm steel bar, which I turned on the lathe to get the grooves and recesses which add detail etc. (you can see a bit of it on the pic)

All the parts made were moulded in silicone. Almost all of the moulds were two part moulds, so the picture you see shows them ready for the first half of silicone to be poured. I have laid them up with plastercine and used location balls so that the second half always locks in the same place when both halves are set.

To be slightly more technical, I used mold max 40 silicone, which is a great moulding silicone. Once the moulds were finished, I could then take the master sculpts/carves out, and then make duplicates with fast cast, (I used ren-cast) which is essentially a two part liguid plastic.

So, having made a duplicate I can throw about and not care too much about if it falls on the floor, I started 'playing' with the model, posing it and seeing if everything worked together as a whole.

This picture is a good example of me having not made it in its whole form or drawn the model first -
I changed the length of the shins, they were too short.
I changed the groin, also too short in silhouette.
I changed the thighs - initially made as a one size fits both sides piece, but peoples thighs dont look like straight tubes...so it was changed. For the best...
Also it was around this point that I re-sculpted the head.
The hands, storm bolter, and halbard also hadnt been made by this point, hence the lumps of fetching looking plastercine!

So next...the painting begins...!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts