Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
@ratvan: Sure man, why don't you paint everything else for the warsphinx and the necro stuff and we'll call it even :)

@khrone: absolutely! That way if you run into a snag down the road you won't be as stressed! (just don't go over board and paint like 3 months worth of stuff in advance it ruins the fun!)

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Good good, the howdah and tomb guard are currently being caressed in the wondrous Dettol. You never know soon you could be looking at my Greenskin force :D

·
Halloween Town
477 Posts
. . . . Absolute fail, this weekend was my GK weekend as the wife was away. Alas local club has closed down *insert mini violin* and I have been rushing around trying to organise a new home, and paint scenery/tables etc.
Anywho I have fixed my Inquisitor from his unfortunate fall and finger breaking. Hoping by the weekend the guys will be up and ready!

·
To The Dark Tower Came
879 Posts
Hey guys, what do you think about increasing the amount we have to paint a month? I mean 250 points ain't a huge amount, especially with space marines, it's not a real challenge to get painted.

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
To be honest (for me at least) 250 points per month keeping the army 'legal' is enough to keep me going mainly due to my expansion choices and the army list that I am heading towards. Saying that however I have just won a couple of auctions on ebay so could change my painting schedule meaning that the army is not legal at all but have enough to keep me busy for the next few months

·
Halloween Town
477 Posts
I must admit it is awkward as but to be honest from my perspective cost wise it is actually helpful, at the mo I'm working on Tomb kings, GreyKnights, just started Skaven and my fledgling Warmachine force.
So I suppose what I'm getting at is I'm happy with the 250 limit with an amount of flexibility, i.e. this month I was under, next month I expect I'll be slightly over!

·
To The Dark Tower Came
879 Posts
i would agree but i have a limited amount of money to spend on it. hopefully ill be getting a job soon, but £17 a month from parents dosnt go far.....
yea i didnt think about that, good point
i suppose its better to over achieve per month then under achieve
oh and iv got the coolest dreadnought in the works for next month, i hope its going to turn out reall nice

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
I know what you mean, as I have two Fantasy armies on the go (both seem to be horde based armies as well dammit) and also really want to get into 40K as I have been reading about one army in particular that I want to start and really wishing that I had started them earlier to take part in this instead of the TK's

Damn butterfly gaming

·
To The Dark Tower Came
879 Posts
I know what you mean, as I have two Fantasy armies on the go (both seem to be horde based armies as well dammit) and also really want to get into 40K as I have been reading about one army in particular that I want to start and really wishing that I had started them earlier to take part in this instead of the TK's

Damn butterfly gaming
i know how you feel, im currently fighting the urge to paint some tau for reasons i dont understand

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
I really like the idea of Tau apart from the fact I hate the Manga feel to them. I'm quickly leaning towards starting up a Black Templar foot slogging crusade force shame the squads don't come with bolt pistol and ccw options :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I think we’re going to be sticking with 250 a month, I'm usually going to end up painting about 25 models a month.

and I'm currently at college (university i believe you call it) so finding time between classes and homework and papers and activities and... well you get the drill. I barely have time to paint what i have with 250, I'm not even going to be able to finish this month sadly :(

HOWEVER!!! that should not deter YOU from painting more! just don't go ever board ok? :) paint your predator if your board, or another army you have sitting on your shelf. There's nothing stopping you from painting all 2000 pts of you space marines tomorrow, but that kinda ruins the fun!

P.S. While not a rule change, I'm adding a rule about unfinished models in previous months. please check the first post for the rule. it will be italicized. (don't worry, it's nothing major right now.)

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
250 it is, I have managed to distract myself from this at the moment by building a 1k Black Templars force (just need a dread and 2 Land Speeders to complete....come on Pay day - Friday!!) plus have ordered the next 2-4 months worth of stock so at least I wont need to buy anything apart from paint for the next few months, lets see if i'll stick to that (I'm guessing not)

I'll be posting up some of my first basing attempts (I'm an old fashioned gamer at heart, paint the bases green and job done, this time I'm going to try and base the models so they're a bit more aestetically pleasing)

·
To The Dark Tower Came
879 Posts
The Gunslinger, Tale of five gamers, month one
The Knights of the Phoenix

Hey guys, got all my stuff painted this month and even wrote abit about it, hope you enjoy:
When it comes to miniatures in an army there are three opportunities to impress: as a single figure, within a squad and then as part of a whole army. My aim was to really focus on the last two perspectives, so while none of my single models would be winning any Golden Demons, my hope was that my units of Marines would look impressive, especially as part of a larger force.

The thing that really appeals to me about Space Marines is that they are totally unlike anything from our own world. Huge power armour clad marines striding through the battlefield firing bolters at the enemy really appealed to me. I also really wanted to paint a white force, I toyed with the idea of doing a death guard army with a dirty white colour scheme, but decided in the end to go with the forces of good.

I decided early on to paint the models whilst they were separate on the sprue, for two reasons, firstly I wanted a half white, half blue colour scheme and secondly it would allow me to get to all the parts I wouldn’t be able to get to whilst it was made.

I started by giving the arms, legs and backpack a basecoat of Adeptus battlegrey, followed by drybrush of codex grey, drybrush of fortress grey and finally two drybrush’s of Skull White. The torso and head were painted regal blue with a faint highlight of ice blue. The details were picked out with various silvers and golds, and the chapter symbol with red gore, highlighted with blood red. All the models were based with Knarloc green, with fake grass, keeping all the models bases nice and simple with a block colour keeps the whole force unified on the battlefield.
As a way of separating veterans and sergeants in my army, I adapted the styles from the codex. Most, if not all, marines of significance would be given the “Corvus” style helmet. Sergeants would have their left kneepads painted blue, whilst veterans would have their right kneepads painted. Sergeants could also be given the studded shoulder pad. Sergeants would also be given a white helmet to further make them stand out from the rest of the squad.

Thanks for taking a look,
The Gunslinger

41 - 60 of 82 Posts