Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there Heretics,

We were ready to start one match for the second round of the Tactica Wars, but a rules query came up that needs to be resolved before we can continue as it has quite an impact on tactics. The issue is likely to arise again so I am looking to resolve it now to avoid future confusion or bad feelings.

The query is regarding Characters that may choose a lore from multiple Lores of Magic. Normally, a player is allowed to choose which Lore they want to use if they have the right upgrades, equipment, etc, before the start of each battle, much like players may change their spell preferences before each battle. However, is this the way we want it to work for Tactica Wars, or should players who can choose a lore for a caster be forced to stick with one for the entire tournament?

This is important as if this is the case then we need to ensure that this applies from now on, if not then players obviously need to be aware of this when planning their tactics. Should players who may choose between multiple lores be allowed to pick prior to each match, or should they stick with one all the way through?

What are your thoughts/opinions guys? You all have helped me turn this into a success so far, I could use you guys again. :grin:

Edit: I don't think there's an official ruling about it, but if anyone knows about one, then please tell us. Otherwise, give out your opinion on the subject.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I think you should take your cue from Warhammer Fantasy Tournaments- if they allow applicable magic users to alter their Magic Lore from one battle to the next then so should Tactica Wars.

Just my opinion.

UPDATE: Had a look through a load of different Warhammer Fantasy Tournament's rules (including GW's) and it doesn't mention anything about not being allowed to choose a different Lore for each battle.

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
I quite agree Spikey, but like you I haven't come across a ruling regarding this scenario for tournaments. Since you haven't been able to find any specific rules, that suggests that it is ok to play as normal and choose the lore prior to each game, rather than having to stick with one for the entire tournament.

Does anyone know otherwise?

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Baron Spikey does bring up a very good point, and his research does kind of go towards the "choosing of the lore for each round".

But I do want to hear others opinions on the matter however.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have zero idea what the policy is for tournaments. From reading the rules, I gather RAW states that you can choose your lores immediately before rolling for spells, as it never says anywhere that you would have to choose sooner. I'm not a big fan of this ruling though, as certain armies tend to come up against the same magic again and again, i.e. all that dwarves and brets ever play against is lore of metal. I recommend just going RAW and allowing the players to pick lores AFTER they see lists, however if the individuals participating have a strong preference one way or the other, go with what they want.

·
Registered
377 Posts
seeing as its our thread im guessing squeek went lore of light instead of lore of the heavens right? ya that would change my tactics up somewhat but not by much. im planning of using the same tactic in a upcoming tournament so i cant imagine going back on it now.

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
seeing as its our thread im guessing squeek went lore of light instead of lore of the heavens right? ya that would change my tactics up somewhat but not by much. im planning of using the same tactic in a upcoming tournament so i cant imagine going back on it now.
It is something that Nathan noticed so we thought it best to clarify it for Tactica Wars as a whole. Depending on the ruling you would of course be able to change anything you needed to before the match is actually posted obviously.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
There is nothing that states that a Character must choose their Magic Lore in the Army List - for example, you must choose all your Magic Items at the time of making your list.

You don't put [100pts] of Magic Items goes in here, then see that you're facing a Skaven Horde, and say I'll lose that High Strength Weapon and go for High Attacks instead. Once you're list is chosen, the army stays as it is. However, as spells are rolled before the battle, and it states that you must choose one Lore to roll your spells for, you roll them before the battle.

·
Registered
992 Posts
well, as a die hard dwarfer, i would guess that the lore is chosen at any point after the list is writen and before the spells are rolled-which can be immediatly before the battle.

i think.

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Nathan are you happy with this consensus then? Anyone who may select a Lore for a caster can do it before each match.

If this is the case we will need to decide when the Lores are announced, I assume that we can agree they will need to be chosen either prior to each match when spells are rolled, or just noted within the tactics for each match. Thoughts?

It would be nice to get this one cleared up so we can get on with the matches post haste.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.