Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i was to have a Deamon Prince as my first HQ and i had abaddon and guard of terminators as the second HQ could i deep strike abaddon.

Also can i deep strike abaddon if he is my only HQ.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
If i was to have a Deamon Prince as my first HQ and i had abaddon and guard of terminators as the second HQ could i deep strike abaddon.

Yes, you can DS Abaddon if he is attached to a unit of termies as they all are allowed to DS, (teleporting in this case.)

And, yes, you can DS Abaddon if he is your only HQ. There is no rule anywhere that says you have to put HQ's on the board right from the get go. You can reserve them and bring them on in any way they are able to.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats all i need to know. my opponent will be expecting abaddon and his guard in the land raider. also with 2 squads of 3 terms and 2 oblits dropping in it should get really heavy around the icons. i might even through a greater deamon to really distract him

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Remember that during your deployment you must declare what is Deep Striking and if ICs are attached to units in reserve.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
me and my friend plan to play a secrecy game. lie we both have to have a list but only need to show it in case of dispute. i think this will make the game a lot more tactical

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
me and my friend plan to play a secrecy game.

like we both have to have a list but only need to show it in case of dispute. i think this will make the game a lot more tactical
Oo this sounds like FUN

·
Registered
135 Posts
With Abaddon joined to Terminators, keep in mind when Abby joins Termies he loses fearless. So ya, he can get swept and run. Last time I deepstruck him was with Oblits, and he normally hangs with Berzerkers for me. Just a friendly warning, cause it tends to happen when Abby rolls that dreaded 1.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

yes and yes. He has T-armour and as such has Deep strike built in.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
spam of Smiles much?

Icons allow you to drop down within 6" of it and not scatter. Only somwthing lik a Daemon Pricne with wings is risky/suiside as Icon don't work on winged units, only Summoned daemons, Obliterators and modals in T-armour.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Why... is that suicide? Icons prevent scatter, and with 2+/5+ saves the unit should be fine unless you put it somewhere completly idiotic.
Look if you deep strike them close enough to an icon not to scater, then you shouldn't have deep struck them as something in your army got there first and the whole idea is as the have to footslog you DS them to get them there first so that when they can start moving the rest of the army is there and they all hit as one big wave. So if you use an icon they all stand around like lemons while the unit closed to them gets pwnd by the rest of your army and they end up chasing another around the board for the rest of the game and never kill anything.

Also if your opponant sees abaddon in your Reserve pile and he is not an utter jackass the first things that will die in your army will be the icon bearers and then he has do do the scatter whatever :shok:.

You are also not taking into acount that maybe abaddon will arrive turn 2. This would mean in order for him to use an icon he will have to DS into your own lines making it completely pointless. Another risk is that he doesn't turn up untill turn 5 by which time he will not get chance to make up his points cost because there is so little left for him to maim and trust me by this time most of your icons will be gone.

Thus the best way to use abaddon's DS is to deep strike him behind the enemy army and say "If you charge him, you die. If you shoot him, I melta your rear armour. If you do neither, you die"

All in all the best way to get abaddon to the front line is in a raider which just throws more points into a formation that already has no chance to make up its points cost.

All of the above is from personal experience and that is why I only run abaddon in apocalypse now (where he downs super-heavies:biggrin:). Apart from that though he rarely makes up his points cost because he is too slow and the enemy see him coming and jump in their rhino (5th ed is tanks :shok:) and run.

The only time he came close was when:
Abaddon+termies disembark from raider. Charge Nightbringer. Abaddon reduces the Nightbringer to one wound. Nightbringer kills Abaddon. Single termi with powerfist kills Nightbringer :grin:. Nightbringer explodes and kills termies:shok:.
Whenever I take him, I wish that I'd have taken a DP.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i will be fielding 3 troop units all with icons and 2 small squads of terms will deep strike with abaddon hopefully anyway here is my current planned list
Okay this is my new army list:

HQ
Abaddon the Despoiler - 275
Retinues- 4 Chaos Terminators Champions - 200
all with lightning claws
(These will be in a land raider)

Troops
8 Khorne Bezerkers - 238
Skull Champion w/Power weapon + personal icon + Meltabombs
Rhino

10 Thousand son - 337
Aspiring Sorcerer + Personal Icon
Wind of Chaos
Meltabombs
Rhino

8 CSM + 225
Aspiring Champion
1 Combi-Melta
Rhino

Elites
3 Chaos Terminators - 125
1 Combi-Melta
2 combi-flamers

3 Chaos Terminators - 125
1 Combi-Melta
2 Combi-Flamers

Heavy Support
Land Raider - 220

Chaos Defiler - 170
Twin Linked Lascannon

2 Obliterator Cult - 150

If i drop out the thousand sons i could have an aditional:

HQ
Deamon Prince- Wings+Warptime+ION +175

Elites
Possessed CSM - 145
Champion
IOCG

and i could give the CSM squad champion a combi-bolter and power weapon. This means less troops for cannon fodder and time wasting but better troops and a dp

OR
i could drop the thousand sons and put another identical unit of khorne bezerers and 3 bikes so that i have a quick attack option which could draw his fire so i can get all the rhinos up and deployed as core of my army is cc

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sometimes I hold Abaddon in reserve so I can bring him in where he is needed once the enemy has committed their forces. Since I usually have 3-5 icons on the board that's not a problem. He can really tip the balance and help capture/defend an objective. Works for me, YMMV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
well i will be fielding 3 troop units all with icons and 2 small squads of terms will deep strike with abaddon hopefully anyway here is my current planned list
There's no such thing as a retinue anymore is there? They still fit under elites anyway though. Have you considered giving the lightning claw terminators the Mark of Slaanesh? No sense in letting loyalists get a few hits on you by going simultaneously....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Also remember that if the Terminators are going to be in the Land raider anyway, make it a Dedicated Transport for them. Personally when I run Abaddon I put him in the land raider with 8 berzerkers with a FIST not a power weapon. Just some friendly advice Melta bombs suck against walkers (and Wraithlords). Strength 9 Powerfists on the charge on the other hand can kill a monolith, combine that with the ability to insta-kill characters, well worth the extra few points and 1 less attack. In fact I put a fist on every squad I can, you'll see what I mean if the Tsons ever have the misfortune of fighting a wraithlord (I hate when that happens).

As a side note, possessed don't even make good paper weights.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts