Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Closet Dictator
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow heretics, Oldman has been thinking (something which the wife says is her realm of expertise) about ye old 40k lore and what not and wondered if your good selves could help me with the fluff on s.t.cs, according to the fluff they used to be the way mankind used to build literally everything but no fuctioning machine has survived completely intact or found at all, and I was wondering if anyone out there knows or could point to books etc that would answer some of the following questions or even just give your own opinions.

What did s.t.c machines look like?

How did the s.t.c work?

Did they fuction like star trek esque replicators transforming huge amounts of energy into matter or like super 3d printers, were they huge designing and asembling the whole object or were they smaller making the parts to be assembled elsewhere and telling you how? Your thoughts, answers, pointers as always appreciated and thanks in advance Oldman xoxox

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Hmm not quite sure which book it is now but in one of Gaunt's Ghost books they find a fully operational S.T.C that could produce the now outlawed Men of Iron. Basically they are a machine like a construction line for a car except fully integrated. I remember reading someone was given a planet for simply finding a S.T.C for a new style of knife.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Given that we have no surviving examples it's hard to say what they looked like.

As to how they worked we have slightly more information. From the Index Astartes article on the Rhino we learn that the STC systems were able to produce blueprints to create anything the user desired- he simply input what he wanted and the materials to hand.

It's quite possible there were several types of STC systems. Those which just designed and produced a blueprint to types which also produce the design- essentially self innovating, automated factories.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
If it's the machine that constructs them entirely I suppose it would only be limited by the size of the object it's designed to create. Alternatively it could simply be a computer that prints out a STC for you.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
We see them actually make them though in First and Only.
And no one is saying that some STC's can't, just that there may be some which can only produce designs and some that can produce products.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Well, bear in mind that there are STC machines and STC templates--things like Rhinos and Land Raiders are templates that have been recovered and disseminated by the AdMech, not the actual constructors themselves.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Based on the description in First and Only, the Men of Iron STC interior production line, e.g. area into which the Iron Men were popped out after being manufactured, was about 100 meters in diameter. The complex it was located inside of was pretty huge and required a couple hours travel by the Ghosts through undergound tunnels, but no certainty if the complex was or simply contained the STC as a part.

In Mechanicum, there are entire vaults on Mars that contain 'STC's, but again, theres no description if they're parts, whole, schematics, etc., only that they are located in a sizeable area that's extremely well guarded.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
And no one is saying that some STC's can't, just that there may be some which can only produce designs and some that can produce products.
I always imagined them as just that. A computer unit with schematics for absolutely everything. Including handy how-to guides for the stuff as well.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
In Mechanicum, there are entire vaults on Mars that contain 'STC's, but again, theres no description if they're parts, whole, schematics, etc., only that they are located in a sizeable area that's extremely well guarded.
I very much doubt that they were full fledged STC systems. A functioning STC system is the holy grail of the Adeptus Mechanicus. They'll quite happily sacrifice worlds for mere STC designs or fractions of designs. What they'd do for an actual STC system...

With good reason too. A functional STC system, in the right hands, would almost single-handedly reverse the Imperium's technological decline. Imagine a database full of Golden Age technology, with the ability to create more at the users whim.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Btw that book with the STC in it was First and Only it seems.
I do recall that, when they were figthting the Blue Blood right? The Mordians? Anyway from my viewpoint they described the S.T.C as thw "vonder-machine" of the galaxy that could construct anything that humankind needed. S.T.C's came in various designs, but the general idea was that the S.T.C is the blueprint, and physical design for something.

I am looking online as we speak, but I recall another novel, one invloving the Tau, where an S.T.C was encoutnered. Additionally their are numerous mentions of it throughout Warhammer 40k Lore. This ranges from Eisenhorn, of which I remember a breif passage mentioning an S.T.C in conjuction with a very power deamonic entity, to a short story I read on a Choas champion seeking the "End of World's," weapon to help him claim daemonic hood.

TBH the S.T.C sounds like a CPU Mainframe similar to Star Trek that has been buried with time. Most don't exist because humanity forgot about them after the Emporer brought civilization back to the brink. Now that the Imperium is delcinging they are in such high demand; like ancient Egyptian artifacts are today.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts

·
Closet Dictator
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies Heretics, it would seem that there would maybe a seperation of s.t.c computer that would design everything and s.t.c manufacturing device, that the holy grail would be the designing computer with a full data base as tye Admech can already build s.t.c templates such as land raiders though not as well as an s.t.c manufacturing device.

·
Registered
13 Posts
At the end of 'Death of Integrity', they find a full STC database at the heart of the DaoT ship trapped at the center of a space hulk. But the drive is protected by a true DaoT AI who proceeds to absolutely wreck the marines and tech priests attempting to download the database.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It did wreck the Marines, but it didn't really say if it survived or not. It would not surprise me if a book series comes out about the S.T.C's. It honestly would be awesome to see some new miniatures develop for the Imperial forces based on an S.T.C backround story; similar to the Land Raider's.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts