Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been thinking about this lately: What do the space marine chapter's think about the Grey Knights as a chapter?

·
Making Vidya Games
2,027 Posts
Who are these Gary knights your talking about? Are they some lost chapter from the Great Crusade? :biggrin:

Back to the question: The Majority of the Space Marines highly respect and revere them.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I believe most space marines see them as another chapter which they know very very little or nothing about them.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Necrosis would be correct; to most chapters the grey knights are just like any other chapter you might come across. This is deliberate, as their true nature and objective is a secret that only a select few are allowed to know. Some individuals, such as Logan Grimnar of the Space Wolves, know who the Grey Knights truly are and nothing can actually be done about that.

By the way, fixed the title for you; Grey Knights now.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Its incredably rare the grey knights would ever meet another chapter though, as they do everything in secret.

When they do its generally either to save another chapter from the daemonic, or to destroy them

·
Registered
834 Posts
I disagree with some of the above users points. While it is true that your average imperial citizen, and even most space marines will never see the grey knights, I believe most if not all chapters have at least heard of them.

I'm sure there would have to be a little bitterness by some sm chapters, strictly because the grey knights have a history of never being corrupted (as well as having a superior gene seed).

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I bet all the marines hate the Inqusition. Simply you dont want them getting up in your shit. some of the stuff you would do every day could be considered heresy. And when a inquisitor thinks there is heresy that useually means your whole chapter is going to go renegade because if they stay they will be butchered by the Grey Knights. Look at the Relictors and Flame Falcons. So the SM chapters who know of the Grey Knights probably are scared of them considering they will be the first to kill you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In The Killing Grounds by Graham McNeill, Ventris and Pasanius recognized the Grey Knights almost immediatley, and my impression was that they treated them with respect and some concern (I was about to say fear, but they're Space Marines!). So my understanding is that the Grey Knights are acknowledged by the Space Marines, and their purpose is relatively clear, but how they go about it, the lengths to which they'll go and the methods and tools at their disposal are kept secret. Other Chapters know that the Grey Knights share in the battle to preserve the integrity of humanity and fight back the taint of Chaos, but it's not so clear that said Chapters know the extent of the Knights' focus.

My personal opinion is that most Chapters would see them as Space Marines tied to the Inquisition, deserving of the respect shown towards fellow Astartes and the caution shown towards the Inquisition.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Do keep in mind though, marines like Uriel Ventris and Logan Grimnar are captains or greater of first founding chapters. (Pasanius might know simply because of his friendship with Uriel.) The first foundings are amongst the most knowledgeable and respected of the chapters around, so the likelyhood of them having some idea of what the grey knights truly are is not unlikely, and that neither the grey knights or inquisition can do anything about this is an interesting one.

After all, what can they do? Wipe out a chapter like the Space Wolves or Ultramarines? Such a move would only risk retribution on whoever authorized it from many, many other chapters.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
And would be a massive waist of men and materials. The amount of men it would take to wipe put those two chapters would leave the imperium in a major pickle. Anywho, most people don't know who the gray knights are or what they do. Just wispers.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The Blood Ravens seem to have a fairly good working relationship with the Grey Knights. A Grey Knights taskforce accompanied the Blood Ravens on both the Dark Crusade & the Soulstorm campaigns, in Soulstorm they even had two justicars with them.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Ah yes, the craptasticshitfest that was DOW fluff. Lol just great.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The Blood Ravens seem to have a fairly good working relationship with the Grey Knights. A Grey Knights taskforce accompanied the Blood Ravens on both the Dark Crusade & the Soulstorm campaigns, in Soulstorm they even had two justicars with them.
Errm... fluffwise, the GKs were there because the entire chapter was being investigated by the Inquisition. They were available in the game because, hey, they needed an extra unit, and noone thought of techmarines.
So no, the BR do not have a good relationship with GKs.

·
Registered
855 Posts
First off, I feel compelled to point out 'The Killing Ground' was written by Mr. McNeill not Sir Dan.

Now that is cleared up, it is my opinion that the Grey Knights are viewed (by those brother Astartes who are aware of them beyond vague reports of silver clad marines who appeared out of the void without warning to face down unspeakable horrors only to vanish again once their duty is done) with the utmost levels of respect and honour. They are noted to have such a noble purity to their presence as well as a level of utter devotion that it is hard to think they would be seen in any other light.

They are legends amongst heroes, humanities ultimate defense against that which is the daemon.

·
Registered
252 Posts
They are *** deleted by order of the Inquisition ***, humanities ultimate defense against *** deleted by order of the Inquisition ***.
Fixed it for you :wink:

I would guess that about 99% of marines (who either don't have the rank to know, or haven't seen them in action) just know that they are another chapter of marines of exceptional purity who work closely with the Inquisition. As such, they are trusted (or feared) allies, given the respect due to any other brother marine. I'm sure there are numerous tales about squads of battle brothers in dire need being rescued by the arrival of the Grey Knights on the battle field, but the same could be said of the Legion of the Damned - and the vast majority of marines will go their entire career without seeing either.

The remaining 1%, who have either reached high enough rank to be told what the Grey Knights are or who have seen them in battle (and lived to tell the tale) will treat them with even more respect, and even more caution.

·
Unforgiven
689 Posts
Got to love Goto and his adherence to official cannon. I'm waiting for a Space Marine to jump in the air, start flying around screaming 'It's Super Saiyan time!'
I thought his offical cannon card was revoked when he had tribal humans armed with sticks, knives, and stones defeat Eldar Guardians and Aspect Warriors in a Wave Serpent.

To answer the OP....

depends on what book you read and who's writing it- in line with any other fluff question. Some will say they are secret, but another will have everybody and their mother know the entire Grand Master roster.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Given whats written in the codex's I would lean towards the grey knights being known to a degree.

I'd say all Chapter Masters and other high ranking Imperial Commanders know who they are, as many units in the Imperium (most space marines, all of cadia) have delt with deamons in one form or another.

The rank and file may not know who they are, but the higher ups sure do.

Though I do wonder what kind of fluff we'll get on them in the new codex. :so_happy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts