Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening folks. After a bit of round base burnout, I've decided to recharge my hobby batteries by painting my 2500pt Khorne and Slaaneshi WoC army. I can't promise it'll be fast, but at least things will be done. ^_^

Without further poodling around, here's the leader of my chaos warband, Turok Steelgrin, the Lancewolf of Khorne and his juggernaut mount, Chau'gun Dhai.

Consider anything I post here open to comments and helpful criticism. I never mind hearing about someway I may improve my craft.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I like your paint scheme there. Pretty solid to see some Khorne in something other than red :p

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Love it. Excellent color scheme of black/white/silver--I like that it isn't quite silver (rust effect), it isn't quite black (kinda a dark slate), it isn't quite white (just hints of off-white)--and the small, sharp splashes of blue really unify it. Very clean, cris, solid colors which are layered on well.

Suggestions? Hmm. I feel like the cloak clasp should be washed like the rest of the larger bits of metal, rather than left clean like the chainmail. The OSL on the jugger's eyes feels a bit strong and flat.

It's nice to see another white(ish) and silver JuggerLord out there, for all that the painting is quite a bit better than on mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Morning. Thanks for the replies!
Tugger - Thanks. The original Khorne Juggernaut lord is so static, I wanted something as far from that as possible. In both paint and dynamism.

Mossy - Glad to hear my oddball color scheme worked out pretty well.

The OSL is something I was playing around with for the first time. I'll fiddle around with it a bit more and see what I can do. Same thing with the spear, I want a little more of a "pop" to it.

alasdair - Thanks! That's definitely what I was going for. I'm a little torn on the other juggerknights now though (my 2500pt list has 7, my lord and a BSB). I was originally going to reverse the color scheme, and have white rider black juggernaut, on everyone but my lord. Now that I see it like this though, I'm *really* liking white juggernaut.

Would a whole unit like this look good, or would black juggers be more "realistic" or "grounded?"

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks! That's definitely what I was going for. I'm a little torn on the other juggerknights now though (my 2500pt list has 7, my lord and a BSB). I was originally going to reverse the color scheme, and have white rider black juggernaut, on everyone but my lord. Now that I see it like this though, I'm *really* liking white juggernaut.

Would a whole unit like this look good, or would black juggers be more "realistic" or "grounded?"
I reckon the Black Rider with white juggers is a lot more imposing. I am not articulate enough to explain why, they just look good!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
This is amazing.

Care to give a run down of the parts used? Things like the cape I am struggling to identify.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Small update. Finally got my camera to focus on the lance blade. And completed his basing. I like how it looks, so I think I'll repeat it on the rest of my army.

**EDIT:**Thanks very much for the bonus rep points, guys! I really appreciate it.

My rep has increased 200% from this thread ^_^

Alasdair - Thanks! I think that's the way I'm going to end up going with them. My BSB has the reversed scheme on him (admittedly a year or so old, so nowhere near as technically proficient) and seeing them right next to each other, I *really* like the white juggernaut more.

Orochi - Thanks, that's pretty high praise!

That's one reason I love the new plastic kits, they're so versatile. The cape and topknot are both from the plastic warrior from the chariot, he and his juggernaut are from the skullcrusher box. The only real conversion there is that I clipped his rear hoof so I could pin it an re-position it slightly so he's leaping instead of lunging forwards.

The few trophies, chains and hooks on the juggernaut's shoulders are from a dark eldar warrior box. Oh, except for the chain ringing his arm and lance, that's a small necklace chain I got from the g/f's jewelry box when she wasn't looking.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Venom- Thanks! I'm looking forward to it too.

Here's the jugger's OSL with two more stages of highlights. I think it looks much better now.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Looks better, definitely. I'm no expert on OSL, but I do feel like there should be some subtle distinction between the light-emitter and the area showing the light.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hobby Update:
Gosh, these skullcrushers take forever. Just to prove I'm still working on them:

Had an interesting experience this past weekend. After much cajoling from "friends" I dropped my chaos lord to try out a daemon prince for the first time with any serious dedication. I used a Slaaneshi prince over three separate one off games. My results over these three games resulted in my prince biting it once to a single cannonball, once to three bolt throwers and once (possibly the most insulting of all) to a Cacophonic Choir from a level 2 Slaaneshi sorceror.

Not being one to give up easily, I thought about it. I want to try a successful daemon prince without being a really, really late term band wagoner. I have decided that the Chaos gods must be cursing me for trying to use a lame generic daemon prince model. Obviously, I also needed to utilize a *real* Chaos god.

Thus I present Krag'danaletha'kyrain, the Eight-Fanged Cataclysm:

This conversion was big, but almost criminally easy. With a tiny bit of trimming the tail fit on like it was meant to be there. The only small gap I really had to fill was under the right wing (third pic). His skin will be painted the slate black that I used on the Chaos Lord, and his armor will be bronzed. I haven't decided whether I want to try the same ash white on the armor plates to accompany the bronze or go with a more generic metallic silver.

As you can see, he's still very WiP, so any and all suggestions are welcome! Since posting, I realized and corrected his missing heel spurs

Lastly... the fate of fools and failures:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Really really like that paint scheme. Been thinking of doing my crons in a sort of scheme like that but with green involved. Your painting is fantastic! On that cloak, really like the blue used as a highlight instead of just a grey/whitish color.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Loki - Thanks. Always appreciate the comments. On his cloak, I wanted to make sure there was a very visible difference between the slate black of his armor and and midnight blue black of his cloak. Glad to hear it came out well.

For today, I figured since Krag the Daemon Prince will be a decently long and involved project, I'd post on his painting in segments so everyone can check out his progression. That'll keep me more motivated to get fun pics up, allow everyone to toss in suggestions as I paint him, and just maintain a more "WiP" feel to my thread, instead of just a showcase gallery ^_^

Without further ado, here are his basecoats laid out. Slate black for the skin, blue black for the wings and tongue, rhinox hide everywhere that will be metal, bone or ash white.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good Morning.

Here is some progress on my Daemon Prince. He's far less complicated to paint than I had assumed, but it is a *lot* of area to cover.

Here's his head. His skin is finished, as is the little OSL around his eyes. Still working on his axe though. I'm thinking the tongue needs a little something extra as well. His horns are close to being finished, I think I just need to fiddle around with a few washes at the end there.

Here are a few good instances of his bone work. The shoulder pad skull (though still working on its horns and teeth) and skull kilt are finished, and I'm pretty darn pleased with my new bone painting recipe, even if it is a little time consuming.

And lastly, his wings are finished. I used a pattern and technique similar to how I paint camouflage for my Night Lords in 30k. I was not disappointed.

Feel free to C&C his business. He's still very much WiP, and I always appreciate any helpful tips to improve my paintcraft.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Your work is awesome. Cannot wait to see some more stuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Morning all! Just finished up my daemon prince today. All told he has eaten about 32 hours of my life in painting and maybe 2 in assembly and modeling. Here he is for your viewing pleasure.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Wow. nice. Awesome to see a different look for khorne, yet it is still very fitting and daemonic!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ Loki - Thanks for the rep! This thread has done wonders for it, haha. My bone recipe is super simple if a bit time consuming.
1.) Rhinox hide base coat
2.) Dheneb stone (ushabti bone now?) layer, leaving rhinox hide in the recesses.
3.) Screaming skull in a messy overbrush
4.) 50% strength Devlan mud wash
5.) Astronomicon gray highlights on top edges
6.) Seraphim sepia wash
7.) Re-highlight with Astronomicon at only the tippest top edges

@ Iraqiel - Thanks, glad to hear it works.

For today, I just finished up a new rank and file crusher (only 12hrs this time. I'm improving!) of the 8 in my 2800pt list. Yay!

Meet Madruk Vhan, Skulltaker of the Blood Red Romance:

and a comparison shot to see if my lord differentiates himself well enough without a big change in color scheme. What do we think?

As always, C&C appreciated.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts