Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 60 of 594 Posts

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Sorry for the multi posts, but hey, it's my log.:grin:

This is my entry to the conversion contest running at the moment. Ever since I saw the BA dread and all the bits it comes with I've had the idea of making an equivalent to the FW chaplain dread for my SWs. I really wanted to give it some sort of crozius, and the force weapon fit the bill nicely, if in a slightly different shape. In all there's bits from the BA dread, venerable dread, berzerkers kit, chaos vehicle srue, some wolf pelts from MaxMini, the SW kits, and most importantly, the deathwing kit. I wanted the model to convey the fact this guy has been fighting and defeating the enemies of the allfather for centuries, thus all the totems and trophy racks. He will be used as a venerable dread as opposed to using the FW chaplain dread rules. So, here he is, C&C welcome as always

Note the Deathwing shoulder pad on the trophy rack. I had one in my bits box and couldn't resist.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oh I love that axe.... :)

Two minor things popped up in my head.
1. The handle is in the way of the flamer when fired.
2. I would also liked to see a bit of sharpness on the top of the axe blades. (Me being all to practical again)

I'd love to see it painted now.

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Very cool conversion man!

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Oh I love that axe.... :)

Two minor things popped up in my head.
1. The handle is in the way of the flamer when fired.
2. I would also liked to see a bit of sharpness on the top of the axe blades. (Me being all to practical again)

I'd love to see it painted now.
Yeah, I only copped that after I put them together, as I did the fist and crozius seperate to the rest of the arm. Ideally I would have seen it earlier and mounted the flamer on the back of the fist, but hindsight and all that... As to the top of the blade, I really didn't want to tinker with the blades too much as I was afraid to mess them up. Besides, there is some spikey goodness there instead.:grin:

@Midge, thank you good sir.:thank_you:

@demon bringer, thanks for the rep. I have to say the Army Painting challenge has been a great help with getting stuff done. Instead of brief but intense periods of activity followed by long periods of doing fuck all, I am now getting through the pile of unpainted minis that were staring at me for ages.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
This Iron Priest is October's entry in the Painting Challenge, making it the 10th entry and the last one I need to complete the challenge. For some reason I can't put my finger on I'm not quite happy with how he turned out, but he's done.

I know the power cable on the hammer isn't finished in the picture, this has since been fixed.

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
I see what you mean about him needing something. Mayhap a few highlights on the grey armor plates of the crusher would sort it out.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Mayhap a few highlights on the grey armor plates of the crusher would sort it out.
Maybe. I was thinking today of adding some of the runes from the SW transfer sheet. Shame they don't do them in red, I could have tried some glow effects on them, like they were runes of binding on the jugger. I might try it with a red marker.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Here's the 11th of 12 emtries in the Army Painting Challenge, and finding the time to get any painting done has gotten harder this last month or so, what with overtime kicking in and the discovery that my wife is pregnant. But in all the excitement I got a bit of quiet time this evening, and got this month's Rune Priest done.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
... and the discovery that my wife is pregnant.
AWESOME! Congrats man and cheers! :drinks: I am in the same boat, will this be your first? It is for me! Crazy, feels sureal.

Well to talk about your wolves, I think they look great, especially the last guy you just did. Your conversion with the dreadnaught looks fantastic, lets see some paint on him. I will second what Midge said on the blood crush wolf mount, highlights, it could just solve that missing piece. Im not a big fan of transfers unless you can get them to look like there painted on. Either way, I think you got the skill to make it feel complete to you.

Keep up the great work on your Army mate!

Regards,
DoE

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
AWESOME! Congrats man and cheers! :drinks: I am in the same boat, will this be your first? It is for me! Crazy, feels sureal.
Thanks mate, it was a total surprise. This will be our second. Big brother gets a little sister.:victory:

I will second what Midge said on the blood crush wolf mount, highlights, it could just solve that missing piece. Im not a big fan of transfers unless you can get them to look like there painted on. Either way, I think you got the skill to make it feel complete to you.
I've been mulling over the thunder crusher, and I really haven't the skills to hand paint the runes without making a total balls of the whole scheme. I agree transfers can look a bit shit, so I'm comtemplating buying the brass etched letters from Secret Weapon minis and sticking them around the flat areas of the legs.

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
I think that the brass etch would like great! I have never used any brass etch products, but I have heard others speak highly of them. Let me know how it works out.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Let me know how it works out.
That I will. I will probably be using them on the rune priest dread I have planned as well, so I will be consulting the more accomplished painters on here like yourself about working in some sort of glowing effect on them. I'll probably do it on the thunder crusher as well, as the fluff is that the Iron Priest and his mate rune priest Snorri Iron Eye have bound the captured juggernaught with runes, so they'll have to be glowing as well.

Congratz on the news mate! :drinks:
Cheers mate. Gonna have to get some serious painting done between now and the 6th of June, as I don't think there'll be much done after that.

OHHHH EXCELLENT idea Khorne, excellent indeed!
Thank you, good sir.

Now, today I realised that I had a problem getting stuff done. The amount of stuff I have sitting on my table base coated or assembled but otherwise untouched is starting to piss me off. I keep getting distracted with the next shiney thing. The Army Painting challenge is the only thing keeping me on track this year. So I made an early New Year's resolution, to get everything on my desk done before I open any more boxes. Here is said table top.

The total on the table includes 14 grey hunters, 3 fenrisian wolves, 3 wolf guard pack leaders, 2 rune priests, a thunder wolf, and a venerable dreadnought. Still unopened on my shelf is a rhino, a land raider, a razorback, a box of termies, 2 more dreads, and a box of vanguard vets that will probably become wolf guard, and enough bits to make easily another 50 marines of varying squads. I really want to have at least one unit of every entry in the codex. My plan for next year's painting challenge was to start an ogre kingdom's army, but on reflection I have enough stuff lying around to do a whole great company, so I think I'll just keep going with my SWs, boring as that may be.

EDIT: Considering that christmas is just around the corner, hopefully there'll be a contemptor dread to add to that list as well.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Here's the final entry for me in this year's Army Painting Challenge. They're the first of the models that I'm trying to clear off my table. While I'll be painting them as one squad, they're actually going to be padding out two other squads. Three of them are the old metal minis from the 2nd Ed box.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Got these guys done in record time. That makes it 12/12 in this year's Army Painting Challenge. I'm happy with how the Mark of the Wulfen dude came out. The head is from MaxMini. I know wulfen are supposed to be using teeth and claws, but I thought nothing says rending like dual wielded chain axes. Also, I had forgotten just how nice the original metal SW models were. They really have loads of nice little details.

Getting these guys done has given me a bit of extra time to do my next lot, providing Humakt is willing to start another Challenge next year (fingers crossed).

I was gonna start either an Ogre Kingdoms or Necron army for next year, but a projected lack of fundage, and the fact I still have the guts of another 2000 pts of SW stuff left in boxes, and a contemptor dread on the way from Santa, I've decided to keep going. By this time next year I could possibly have an entire great company painted up.

41 - 60 of 594 Posts